Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Driver mirror always returns tilted up

Steve O'

Every time I back out, the mirrors go down and then return to a position higher than originally. Anyone know how to fix that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U probably need to index them. It's normal for when you hit reverse the right one goes down. ( unless mine is set wrong) once you set them they way you want. Hit the position one or 2 on the lower side of left drivers seat. You should be ok after that. Sometimes I have to reindex mine.

Under normal conditions, the mirror positions once set, are tied to each fob. It should be a set-it and forget it kind of thing. If you get in the car and are using a different fob than normal, the mirrors will go to the position associated with that fob.

Your suspected hardware causes are limited to:

1. A bad mirror motor.
2. Faulty mirror switch.
3. Bad connection in the harness assy (if the mirror operates from the switch controls, the wiring path is likely good.)
4. Faulty Driver Door Module (where the mirror position values are stored.)

To troubleshoot this properly, you need to have a GM scan tool (Tech 2 or newer) connected to test all of the above, which in most cases, means a dealership visit is recommended.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Your suspected causes are limited to:

1. A bad mirror motor.
2. Faulty mirror switch.
3. Bad connection in the harness assy (if the mirror operates from the switch controls, the wiring path is likely good.)
4. Faulty Driver Door Module (where the mirror position values are stored.)

To troubleshoot this properly, you need to have a GM scan tool (Tech 2 or newer) connected to test all of the above.

CC :wave:

Thank you cc. For explaining it in more depth.

If you set the mirror adjusting selector switch to the middle, not L or R, it will stop dropping when you back up. It is a feature of the car that the mirror will drop in order for you to see the curb better as you are backing up to parallel park.

This drove me crazy on my 05 STS until I read deep enough into the owners manual to figure out what was going on. You can turn the feature off permanently in the personalization section.

If you set the mirror adjusting selector switch to the middle, not L or R, it will stop dropping when you back up. It is a feature of the car that the mirror will drop in order for you to see the curb better as you are backing up to parallel park.

This drove me crazy on my 05 STS until I read deep enough into the owners manual to figure out what was going on. You can turn the feature off permanently in the personalization section.

Dirny I have mine set in the middle all the time and the right one still lowers to curb level when backing up.

Mirror returns

Dirny I have mine set in the middle all the time and the right one still lowers to curb level when backing up.

I have found that the mirrors have to be set THEN hold down the button 1 0r 2 until you hear a couple chirps from the dash area.
RTFM.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back