Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Drivers door won't open

wandrews2004

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Gray XLR
The drivers side door on my 2004 XLR won't open with the outside touch pad or the inner button. I of course can release it with the emergency handle, but electrically it won't function. no sound no click no lights, etc. Anyone know if it's fused separately? Any suggestions?

Hi W,
Fuse 34 under the passenger floor says "door controls". No mention of left and right separates.

It's a 23 step procedure *with* a scan tool by the book, so I'd say have a look at the obvious first being: are both doors failing (fuse maybe) - if not then it's component specific to the driver's door circuit.

Obviously, the latch is involved and unless you had both switches misbehaving intermittently prior, I'd tend to have a look at the latch first - it is the common ground for both switches. Don't ever forget: 9 out of 10 electrical problems are a bad connection and that includes...grounds. ;)

If your pax side stuff is working fine, you could swap parts from one side to another for testing purposes but it would really be helpful to have error codes from a scan tool if possible.

Keep everyone posted - I'm sure it's solvable with a bit of legwork.

Gord ;)

Hi W,
Fuse 34 under the passenger floor says "door controls". No mention of left and right separates.

It's a 23 step procedure *with* a scan tool by the book, so I'd say have a look at the obvious first being: are both doors failing (fuse maybe) - if not then it's component specific to the driver's door circuit.

Obviously, the latch is involved and unless you had both switches misbehaving intermittently prior, I'd tend to have a look at the latch first - it is the common ground for both switches. Don't ever forget: 9 out of 10 electrical problems are a bad connection and that includes...grounds. ;)

If your pax side stuff is working fine, you could swap parts from one side to another for testing purposes but it would really be helpful to have error codes from a scan tool if possible.

Keep everyone posted - I'm sure it's solvable with a bit of legwork.

Gord ;)

Thanks for your help. I narrowed it down a bit by finding out that when pushing the inside button the process initiates by dropping the door glass as it should. The outside pad won't do that. I ordered the touch pad/switch from Amazon and it's due to arrive tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your response.

Hi Wandrews2004.

Most of the time the door pad switch is the problem, the switch can be opened for cleaning it from the moisture, I did on my car and it works fine now.
Enclosed are the photos of the pad and a YouTube address that shows you how to do it on a C6 corvette, for witch the pad is very similar or the same.
(HTPS:404 Not Found )

You can make a search on Google for, ''C6 door pad switch repair'' and on the heading open the video section.

Good luck.

IAN.:wave: 7-Trunk release switich 20785843-AC delco 1487E-getimage[2].jpg10-Touchpad switch door LH-$12(KGrHqFHJEYE-kdYZYRWBPs-FSJ(W!~~608[1] (2).jpg

Hi Wandrews2004.

Most of the time the door pad switch is the problem, the switch can be opened for cleaning it from the moisture, I did on my car and it works fine now.
Enclosed are the photos of the pad and a YouTube address that shows you how to do it on a C6 corvette, for witch the pad is very similar or the same.
(HTPS:404 Not Found )

You can make a search on Google for, ''C6 door pad switch repair'' and on the heading open the video section.

Good luck.

IAN.:wave:View attachment 9243View attachment 9244

Thanks Ian! I'll pull the old one tomorrow and save it for cleaning. I'm pretty sure the new switch will cure the problem.

Be careful when pulling the door switch out, hang on to the cable, it can pop back in and is a bit of work to fish back out.

Thanks for your help. I narrowed it down a bit by finding out that when pushing the inside button the process initiates by dropping the door glass as it should. The outside pad won't do that. I ordered the touch pad/switch from Amazon and it's due to arrive tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your response.

Good plan - and of course, you're welcome.
My car, the driver's door switch was intermittent and as a matter of fact, I've ultimately changed both interior and both exterior switches just to be on the safe side. (My paranoia about no parts availability again). Indeed, Ian's suggestion to clean is a good one and mine sit in a box 'for that day'.

I also did the trunk switch (outer) to be a bit proactive - curious, I didn't study it but it sure looks like an exterior door switch yet has a different part number.

22751230 vs. 84190614. Must be some internal difference.

They're not young cars any longer so imagine the number of times all these things have been actuated. And weather and such (I see you're in the 'Northwet') ;)

Hope it does it!

Gord ;)

I had that problem with the passenger door when I first got my XLR; I took the release pad off (2screws), unpluged it , and took it in the house. I then took the teeny screws out that held it together (0ver a large bowl so as not to lose any) cleaned the electric pad inside of it , put it back together with those teeny screws, and just plugged it in on the car to check it. It worked!! Then I put it back on the door with the 2 screws that held it on the door! Bingo!! DONE!!!

could have got 2 for 27 on ebay also with free shipping. haha . Only reason we have these is because they fit the Vette or we would have another part unavailable.

Good plan - and of course, you're welcome.
My car, the driver's door switch was intermittent and as a matter of fact, I've ultimately changed both interior and both exterior switches just to be on the safe side. (My paranoia about no parts availability again). Indeed, Ian's suggestion to clean is a good one and mine sit in a box 'for that day'.

I also did the trunk switch (outer) to be a bit proactive - curious, I didn't study it but it sure looks like an exterior door switch yet has a different part number.

22751230 vs. 84190614. Must be some internal difference.

They're not young cars any longer so imagine the number of times all these things have been actuated. And weather and such (I see you're in the 'Northwet') ;)

Hope it does it!

Gord ;)
The new switch fixed the problem. I also save the old one. Just never know when were gonna run out of parts.

The new switch fixed the problem. I also save the old one. Just never know when were gonna run out of parts.

Sometime the inside connector plates get corroded and just cleaning them makes them work like new again. Take units off door with 2 screws, then remove 6 small screws on back side, I cleaned my with a light abrasive scrub pad. They work like new again,
717fe62cb16d67eab6e8f0f9c92b5fc7.jpg
see pics
185f5d386fec88a7263a049df5257c6f.plist
1142400538fbbd1dcbc0a8c4a8aaf2c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced both doors and the trunk lid today it works so much better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See my post about taking the pad off, cleaning it and re-installing it! Usually this will fix the problem! Replacing it is awaste of money and time.

I figured the car is a 2006. New ones won’t hurt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same problem on drivers door only. however, changing the pad switch did not fix mine. Is there anything other than the lock actuator assembly to check/replace?

does it work with the pull cable? if the switch is good , you can swap it with the other side to see then it could be an issue with the latch

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom