Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

electrical gremlins, the whole family...

I checked my 04 today. Shamefully, for the first time. It does not have a hose. all it has is a 1/8 inch hole drilled in the bottom of the well. Fortunatlly, it was clear.

Curious. My 2008 also has a 1/8 inch hole, although it was blocked up with carpet fuzz. From the earlier discussions, I'd been thinking that the early years had the big hold and tube, and the later years had the 1/8 inch hole. I asked my dealer if the 1/8 hole was a redesign or a mfg defect and got back one of those useless non-answers.

This is one of those times I'd dearly love to have access to the design specifications, just to know what was really intended. But since I don't believe that either the big hole and tube or the tiny 1/8 hole are long-term trustworthy, I'll do some re-engineering.

Okay, this entire education is costing a lot of money...
Since the XLR had to sit out and managed to collect water where the computers are I had to revise parking. This week I'm raising my carport and the 4 post lift should be here by the end of the month. That will let me get everything back under cover.
(pictures will come)
Okay, so to raise the carport I have to get the XLR moving again. I received teh folding top module, but the suspension module is still on back order, mine is elevated to SPAC at least.
So today I plugged in the new top module, and the old suspension module just to move the car to the front garage. With the new folding top module the trunk still wont open automatically. I need to go back and check all the connections, but is it possible the pump went south also? I'm assuming both the module and the pump are used even for opening the trunk. Right?
Thanks for any tips here.
Bruce

Okay, this entire education is costing a lot of money...
Since the XLR had to sit out and managed to collect water where the computers are I had to revise parking. This week I'm raising my carport and the 4 post lift should be here by the end of the month. That will let me get everything back under cover.
(pictures will come)
Okay, so to raise the carport I have to get the XLR moving again. I received teh folding top module, but the suspension module is still on back order, mine is elevated to SPAC at least.
So today I plugged in the new top module, and the old suspension module just to move the car to the front garage. With the new folding top module the trunk still wont open automatically. I need to go back and check all the connections, but is it possible the pump went south also? I'm assuming both the module and the pump are used even for opening the trunk. Right?
Thanks for any tips here.
Bruce

I believe the trunk is lifted only with electrical... the top has the hydraulic lines going to it for the pump usage.

I believe the trunk is lifted only with electrical... the top has the hydraulic lines going to it for the pump usage.

Thanks, that's good news. I'll double check all the fuses. I ran out of time last night.
Bruce

The rear decklid is lifted hydraulically. Note the hydraulic cylinders on the articulating scissor-jack linkages. There is no electric motor for it. There is an electrically-powered latch to keep it shut though.

CC

The rear decklid is lifted hydraulically. Note the hydraulic cylinders on the articulating scissor-jack linkages. There is no electric motor for it. There is an electrically-powered latch to keep it shut though.

CC

Oops... my bad. Guess I never noticed the hydraulic cylinders before; I just thought the trunk opened with electric power. Learn something new every day, I guess... thanks.
Curious though... isn't the hydraulic powered electrically; so couldn't it still be a fuse problem?

Absolutely Rod! If any electronics have been subjected to water, after drying everything out (and with the connectors open) I would verify the suspect fuses and ensure 12 vdc power to the module at their connectors before installing replacement modules. (Water can creep into harnesses.)

CC :wave:

The latch releases the lid, but it does not lift.
Harness connectors were cleaned, well dried.
I guess I have more trouble shooting to do...
Bruce

Does the pump ever energize? If its electric motor was submerged, it could be a crispy critter. In that case, break out the beer. . . and wallet.

I didn't get to it this weekend. Hopefully I get some time this week to look at it.
Yes, the pump block was submerged, the entire "bucket" was full at one time.
Bruce

I didn't get to it this weekend. Hopefully I get some time this week to look at it.
Yes, the pump block was submerged, the entire "bucket" was full at one time.
Bruce

That's not good news. How do you think that much water got in the trunk in the first place? I know there was a bulletin a few years back about replacing or modifying the trunk weatherstripping to prevent water from getting into the trunk when the XLR was parked on a surface that was not level. I might put a small automatic bilge pump in mine if there is enough room!

That's not good news. How do you think that much water got in the trunk in the first place? I know there was a bulletin a few years back about replacing or modifying the trunk weatherstripping to prevent water from getting into the trunk when the XLR was parked on a surface that was not level. I might put a small automatic bilge pump in mine if there is enough room!
No idea. When I wash the car the trunk stays bone dry. The trunk carpet shows no signs of ever getting wet. Does the water management system drain into that recess?
The car is normally such a garage queen anyhow, but between Christmas and New Years we flew to Newy York. I didn't have time to arrange all the cars, so I wound up parking the XLR with the nose covered, they trunk exposed, and we did get rain that week. Obviously I'm mad at myself for not heeding the warnings here, but typically my car never sees rain. Also strikes me as a really poor location for sensitive electronics, but I understand packaging constraints in a vehicle. I just want to get the new parts and get it over with now.
Bruce

Good information to know

Newbie here in KC area. Thanks for bringing this up, I'll be checking mine tonight to make sure that I have no problem, you just have to hate it when things like this come up.
Good new is I bought new windshield wiper bladers from the dealer today, only $21.00. Not every part is crazy expensive.

Newbie here in KC area. Thanks for bringing this up, I'll be checking mine tonight to make sure that I have no problem, you just have to hate it when things like this come up.
Good new is I bought new windshield wiper bladers from the dealer today, only $21.00. Not every part is crazy expensive.
Welcome to the forum, best one the net.
Bruce

For your inop pump: If you haven't already done so, it might not be a bad idea to verify fuse #44 isn't blown (located under the passenger side footwell.) This protects the pump and rear decklid latch.

There's always a chance that it could have worked as designed and sacrificed itself to save your hydraulic pump if it was powered up while wet.

Thanks, hadn't dug out the schematics or looked there again since we figured out the first set of problems. A fuse would be great!
Bruce

Holy smokes! The pump makes the modules look cheap! I'm praying towards Bowling Green now that the fuse did its job. (Retail about $1500.00)
For now I don't know it needs one, I was just checking pricing.
Bruce

When I had to replace mine, it was $1685. I bought it online for hundreds less and had my dealer install it. The money saved more than made up for the labor charges.

If you order it yourself, do be aware that you need an O-ring kit, since they must be replaced whenever the hydraulic lines are removed from the manifold attached to the pump assembly.

There is actually a company not far from me advertising rebuilt units for $750.00. No chance to check the fuse last night.
Bruce

Just an update, I'm still an XLR owner, but I'm still waiting on parts. It's expensive driveway art at this point. Oh well, I'll enjoy it more when I finally get the parts.
Bruce

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back