Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

electrical gremlins, the whole family...

So sorry to hear about the delay. Your experience - although unrelated to car washing - made me go ahead & make the move to a rinseless car wash that I use on the top & trunk (regular wash for hood & sides). My husband says I'm being ridiculous. Duly noted - but enough water in the wrong spot causes such havoc it's worth it to me! I already keep it out of the rain.

I've noticed that the Pontiac g6 comes with a hard top conv. And also seen a camaro with a hard top conv. Question is would the controller/ pump be the same it looks like the same concept and folding steps? Will probably bring the accessibility a little easier and maybe drop the prices.

I seriously doubt it, but knock yourself out doing the research. The XLR Folding Top was designed and built by a European company called CTS (Car Top Systems) not GM. They built a small facotory in Bowling Green just to support the XLR production line and closed it as soon as production stopped. This is the same company that produces the folding top for the Mercedes SL line.

The hydraulic pump is built by a company in the Netherlands. . . The transmission in France. Talk about global sourcing . . . It would make sense to use a common design/vendor across the entire GM line, but just look at the stereo system head units for example. --Just try putting a $1600 pump in a cheap, POS G6 or Camaro. Pontiac is dead, and the Camaro will get the cheapest-sourced parts possible to increase GM's profit margin. The weak link in the XLR enjoyability chain will always be parts.

CC :wave:

To my part, I stopped to use Mercedes because many electrical/electronics problems and the top is manufactured by Magna int'l group automotive ... peugeot, VW, MB ... use it and many problems ... I mean buy US Car not a "Tata car" with many int'l parts ... the quality loss. In the past, Cadillac was cadillac.
To transmission, ZF is one of best firm (knowledge).

Brake OEM GM cames to australia / Mexico / UK ; read on.:lol::confused:

I seriously doubt it, but knock yourself out doing the research. The XLR Folding Top was designed and built by a European company called CTS (Car Top Systems) not GM. They built a small facotory in Bowling Green just to support the XLR production line and closed it as soon as production stopped. This is the same company that produces the folding top for the Mercedes SL line.

The hydraulic pump is built by a company in the Netherlands. . . The transmission in France. Talk about global sourcing . . . It would make sense to use a common design/vendor across the entire GM line, but just look at the stereo system head units for example. --Just try putting a $1600 pump in a cheap, POS G6 or Camaro. Pontiac is dead, and the Camaro will get the cheapest-sourced parts possible to increase GM's profit margin. The weak link in the XLR enjoyability chain will always be parts.

CC :wave:

Six months went by, and now it's July (With apologies to Zappa for using his lyrics) and still no module, and now GM is "thinking" October. I guess they mean October 2012, but I'm not sure. Well I found a facility that will rebuild my unit, I'm sending it out Monday. Nothing to lose I figure. I'll let you know how this works out, sure seems it would be nice to have an option besides this long dance with the parts man.
Half the shops I call now recognize the part number, must quickly becoming a sought after part.
Bruce

Well, I am about out of ideas. My dealership now tells me there may not be modules until October. The shop I sent mine can't rebuild it. This is ridiculous, my XLR has been expensive driveway art since the beginning of the year. My dealership is on my side, but without parts there just isn't much they can do. I guess I'll try and contact Cadillac customer care and see what they can offer. Maybe they will offer me a decent trade in on a newer XLR-V? Just awful that I can't get such a critical component. Anyone else have any suggestions? There doesn't seem to be any in junk yards either, and right now I'm not buying a salvage car for just one computer.
Bruce

source of parts GM

Hi B Pappy

Perhaps you could try to call in sweden to <cite>www.klintbergway.com (private european company which do logistic with GM Parts ; many parts in stock)
Or in belgium : </cite><cite>www.1stcarparts.be/fr/cadillac/</cite>

http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/productSearch.aspx?ukey_make=1085 (165 000 parts in stock ...)
<cite>
Perhaps with Saudi dealer (because bought many cad there)

</cite>http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/cadillac/news/news_archive.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Feb/0222_middleast.html<cite>

</cite>http://www.ostamyy.com/Car-Dealers-Saudi-Arabia.htm (dealers list)<cite>

Good luck !
</cite>

updated!!!

Okay, GM finally got suspension control modules back in inventory. After cleaning everything I plugged it in and fired her up. Great news, no more warning messages! I listened to her idle for a few, then tried to close the trunk. Nothing. Apparently the pump is shot also. I closed it manually, checked the fuse, etc, but seems like no hydraulics. I'll do some more trouble shooting, but sounds like the pump to me. Oh well, I'm making progress. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Bruce

Case closed...

After almost 11 months (yes, eleven) I finally got all the parts and my car is operating as it should.
What I've learned:
Even though mine is a dry California car, it got stuck in a parking lot last Christmas (2011) during a rain storm. Looking at the "watermarks" in the storage bin this had been ongoing though. My drain was plugged by a piece of plastic carpet retainer.
04's & 05's use some unique electrical components from later models. There are three sensitive electrical components in this receptacle; folding top module, Suspension Control Module and the Hydraulic pump. All three have electrical connections and do not like water at all. All 3 are also expensive. The folding top module was few hundred and came in quickly. The Suspension Control Module is around 600, but the real kicker is it was on national back order for about 8 months. The pump retails for around 1600! They must use really good hydraulic fluid in it. Anyhow, all parts finally came in and are now installed and everything is right in my universe again. It was pricey, but the real pain was not having a car for 11 months. I'm also thankful my dealer is beyond exceptional and sold me the parts at very fair pricing.
Still a really stupid design, but I'll check it much more frequently now. There were never any wet spots or leaves in the trunk in indicate a pending problem.
Now I just need to clean it back up and wait for good weather.
Bruce

Bruce, it's good to hear that your baby is up & going again. Lucky for you that you live where the weather is good all year so you can catch up on your top down driving. Thanks for the update.:wave:

Bruce, it's good to hear that your baby is up & going again. Lucky for you that you live where the weather is good all year so you can catch up on your top down driving. Thanks for the update.:wave:

Thank you, it was a long frustrating 11 months.
Bruce

moisture is the likely suspect for me too...

Okay, thanks to a great mechanic, a Tech 2 and some research we found the problem.
We got the car talking again, but still had no communication to the Suspension Control Module. We thought we had it isolated, but the top still wasn't working. SCM operates on LAN2 (high speed), the top was secondary, what took them both out, and what was still draining the battery? We went into the trunk where the Suspension module resides and when we opened the panel there was about 4" of standing water in the black recess they are located in.
I'll post some pictures later, but it looks like I need two new modules.
Right now I'm shaking my head; mad at myself, how did so much water get in there? I have to go back and read the threads about the vent tubes clogging.
For the record, the car usually resides in the garage, but when I picked up the '64 Corvette I parked the XLR in the back yard, 90% covered except the trunk area. We then went on vacation and I heard it rained quite a bit while we were gone.
Like I said, pictures coming later. Don't let this happen to you.
Bruce

I just switched out the battery today on my own. It was overdue actually, but I have had issues with false flat tire warnings, and a few other electrical items too. When you open the trunk lid on a rainy day, the water just flows in......really irritating! So where the hell does all of this water end up? I'm sure this is the source of my troubles. Where in the trunk are these modules located and how do I get to them?

Kennadian, when you open your trunk look all the way to the left on the floor, in the corner closest to the bumper. There is a little maybe (5x5) door that you lift out of the floor of the trunk. The components are under it and there is a hole at the bottom for water to drain etc to drain out. That is the hole that needs cleaned. If you dont see the hole easily you can look from under the car and find it for reference.

V Happy

I just switched out the battery today on my own. It was overdue actually, but I have had issues with false flat tire warnings, and a few other electrical items too. When you open the trunk lid on a rainy day, the water just flows in......really irritating! So where the hell does all of this water end up? I'm sure this is the source of my troubles. Where in the trunk are these modules located and how do I get to them?

Kennadian
I do not know what your other electrical problems are but the low tire warning is probably not coming out of the trunk area. If you search in this forum how to reset your tire sensors(in wheels)to your car. I changed wheels and tires with new sensors in them. I then had low tire warnings from the car. I tried all the magnets and lower and raise the pressure tricks. Nothing worked. I then went to a good tire shop and they had a meter they went to each tire and searched each sensor till it sent the right signal to the car computer. Mine worked out well and after they set each sensor all the false warnings were gone. You may have a bad sensor if you are getting the warning from the same tire each time. Now you do need to know where the hydraulic pump and suspention module is in the truck. This should be checked if you are getting water in the trunk. If water is collecting in this area you could have major repairs so it is worth checking. Standing behind the car trunk open pull up the left corner of your trunk carpet nearest you You will then see a cover in that corner. Now lift that cover and in that hole you will see your pump and other electrical components. Hope what you see is dry.Make sure the hole to let the water out is unobstructed. Some of the 04 and 05 have a rubber drain style tube that sometimes plugs up. If it were my car I would get rid of this rubber tube all together. My 06 just has just a drain hole in the bottom. I think Cadillac realized there mistake on the older models and done away with the tube. Make sure this compartment is staying dry and major failures can be avoided. Hope this helps
V Happy

I also needed a suspension control module when it was on national back order for 8 months.</SPAN></SPAN>
I decided I wasnt going to drive with the loose-floaty suspension caused by a bad module and purchased a used module off ebay for $130 including shipping. </SPAN></SPAN>
The module is one of the parts used in both the XLR and the Corvette so its readily available.
I email all the people on ebay who post an entire picture of the wrecked car for a listing of the sun visor (or some other stupid part)</SPAN></SPAN>
Quite a few people got back to me stating they had it. </SPAN></SPAN>

I also needed a suspension control module when it was on national back order for 8 months.
I decided I wasnt going to drive with the loose-floaty suspension caused by a bad module and purchased a used module off ebay for $130 including shipping.
The module is one of the parts used in both the XLR and the Corvette so its readily available.
I email all the people on ebay who post an entire picture of the wrecked car for a listing of the sun visor (or some other stupid part)
Quite a few people got back to me stating they had it.

To my information, that is only correct on 2006 and newer. 2004 & 2005 had unique parts.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom