Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Engine cover

It's easy .... but .... be gentle :)chuckle) ....

We had a factory replacement put on because of all of the times it had been in for repair ('04!) the clips got broken and damaged. They are pretty delicate.

I did mine like this CAM00218.jpg

Engine Cover Painting

Here it is!
This is in my house and not my XLR as I am working on a few projects for the XLR and mine is a bit dusty still. Those new parts should be interesting and hopefully spark some interest back into the XLR.

The Process:

First off….the paint on my cover was so loose that chunks of it came off as I was whipping it down with a damp cloth. So I had to redo some of the silver areas as well.

1. I sanding everything down that was to be painted.
2. I masked out the different areas to paint which took forever
3. Then painted with a high temp engine paint.
4. I sanded with some 1000 grit paper in between to make sure a nice smooth finish and repainted. Each are about 3-5 coats.
5. The paint is really touchy when it is fresh and did chip a few times so I had to repeat these steps a few times.
6. Once everything was painted I applied a satin clear coat finish to everything. This insured an overall bond. I put on about 5 layers of the satin.
7. I let it bake for about 4 hours.

And after 3 days of work...here it is!

Well done! I think it would have looked great in the matching gold mist too.

Mine was already done to match the Crystal Red Tintcote (2008). The 4 longitudinal stripes and the 8 rectangular depressions were done in Gold.

I am an hour or 2 West, Hamilton area.
Hope to get mine in the laneway this Sunday. Snow may be over!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom