Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Engine hot - A/C off

Welcome to the forum. Yes , there is an amazing amount of information here. I'm glad you found us! Probably the best advise that Found here is to read the owner manual cover to cover. The systems on this car are complex and many of the answers are in the OM. If you don't have one, you can down load it off of this suite as well
https://www.xlr-net.com/specs/2006/2k06xlr.pdf
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just bought a 2006 V and got this message driving home. Found this webs and the forums and this issue. Changed my tstat and fixed it! Thanks for the guidance! Also found a thread suggesting to check the sc fluid. Wouldn't have known that. It was very low. I think the sytem is not dedicated and sc drained with the tstat.

Only difficulty was the radiator hose clamp. Googled a hose clamp tool and it helped a ton.

Great site guys!

The SC has it's own coolant circuit. It i s not connected to the engine cooling system so if it was low you may have a leak somewhere. It has it's own coolant pump mounted on the passenger side fender and heat exchanger mounted in front of the radiator.

Engine Hot - AC Off

Replacing the thermostat fixed the problem. Haven't had that message since the thermostat was replaced back in 2013. Replacing the thermostat is about a 20 minute job. One of the easier things to replace on the XLR. Have a new gasket and some Dexcool antifreeze handy to top off as you will loose a little coolant in the process of replacing the thermostat.

Today is 3/7/2017. My 2006 XLR-V erroneous Engine Hot - AC Off started occurring every couple months recently. I was just having a mechanic friend of mine reset the ECU, but got tired of that. I read this thread before and today I had my thermostat replaced with a new one. The old one was original and my engine now has over 72,500 miles on it, so I figured it was about time for a new one anyway. I saw your post, it's old now, and was wondering if the thermostat change really fixed the issue and if not, what should I check next? I'd appreciate a response from you on my question. Thank you in advance! PTpro!

It absolutely fixed the problem for me. After changing the tstat, the reset of the "engine hot ac off" message happened just like so other thread stated. I changed the tstat, filled the cooling system, started the engine, and in about a minute the message cleared. I have not had any issue since.

Today is 3/7/2017. My 2006 XLR-V erroneous Engine Hot - AC Off started occurring every couple months recently. I was just having a mechanic friend of mine reset the ECU, but got tired of that. I read this thread before and today I had my thermostat replaced with a new one. The old one was original and my engine now has over 72,500 miles on it, so I figured it was about time for a new one anyway. I saw your post, it's old now, and was wondering if the thermostat change really fixed the issue and if not, what should I check next? I'd appreciate a response from you on my question. Thank you in advance! PTpro!

Yes, replacing the thermostat really really works to fix this problem. Probably the simplest and cheapest repair you can do to your XLR! Good luck to you with the repair!

It absolutely fixed the problem for me. After changing the tstat, the reset of the "engine hot ac off" message happened just like so other thread stated. I changed the tstat, filled the cooling system, started the engine, and in about a minute the message cleared. I have not had any issue since.

Thank you for the quick reply. After changing the thermostat and starting up the engine and letting it run for 20 minutes the Engine Hot - AC Off did not clear itself, the mechanic had to clear it with his diagnostic computer. I'm still hoping that was the cause of the issue and not the expensive hard to replace part on the back side of the engine. I will be sure to let you know if this fix worked on my V. Thanks again!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom