Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Exhaust module

Dual mode butterflys stuck

The butterfly valves are stuck in open position. I was told that the part 15839086 is bad. I tried gm parts direct but was advised it is out of stock. Any idea who might have one or is there away to have this one repaired

I have the opposite issue, mine won't open. What did you learn about yours? Was it the fuse or solenoid? I watched youtube stuff on the topic and it sounds like if the fuse is blown, they stay open.

Did you ever find the fuse? can you describe which one it might be or pair it to the number slot in the owners manual.

Baffling baffles

Not to my knowledge, baffles will not open or close if engine is not running. Are you saying the vehicle isn't able to run? An easy way to see if they are working is to go too the trunk and open it up, in the left hand corner open up the lid. start the car & cut the red wire which will deactivate the baffles, now touch the two wires together and you should hear & see the baffles open up. i have no idea why you expect exhaust baffles to work without power to them. All those pictures I have posted should be of some value with your project. Good luck

Okay, I wasn't sure if there was a bypass or anything to test the baffles, even at idle. It's kind of hard to see them when you are also the only guy around to press the accelerator.

I saw on youtube where pulling the fuse would have them stay open all the time. Do you know what # slot the baffle fuse is in the front block?

Overall I'm trying to learn how the system works to diagnose. If vacuum controlled, do they gradually open as 3500 rpm is achieved or when the threshold is hit, something tells something to open them. what is that something? Solenoid? I just don't want to poke around at something that isn't broken.

Thanks for your knowledge.....

Exhaust valve position

I can't speak for all V's or Corvettes but MY '06 XLRV has the exhaust valve "flaps" in the open position when the engine is OFF, as soon as the engine starts and gets a bit of vacuum it closes the valves. I proved this to myself by using a poker of sorts and with the engine OFF pushed on the flaps, they can be closed but under spring tension, when released they pop right back open. So, in my case with some component not sending vacuum to my valves with the engine running the flaps stay open. I think my next step is replace the vacuum diverter valve under the right side of the back of the car. The open valve position is not un-enjoyable unless you are just cruising at 60-70 then the drone is a bit annoying. Later my XLR pals!

Hey,
If you can get under the back of your car - you can easily locate the vacuum actuators on the mufflers - look for the rubber vacuum lines - pull one off the diaphragm mechanism - then look to see if the exhaust valve closes as the valve is usually closed and only opens with vacuum. Lets assume the valve closes - this means the electronic controller is bad - which is what I believe you think - If the valve stays open then the diaphragm is bad - but the chances of both sides going bad at the same time is a bit out. I installed a "mild to wild" switch on my V - literally took about 5 minutes - this will allow you to bypass the stock controller.
Good luck
Schmidt:cool:

Valve opening?

Please see my note earlier on this, the valves on my V are open with the engine off, at 3500 rpm they open. You can push the valves closed with the engine off but when you release they will pop back open. (This is on my car anyway)

How can the butterfly valves in the XLRV be tested without running the engine. I don't think mine are opening , any suggestions welcome.

exhaust

Just checked my girl...you are correct as mine are open when car is off. Once started getting a bit of vacuum closes until hitting 3500 rpm then open.

Thank you

Just checked my girl...you are correct as mine are open when car is off. Once started getting a bit of vacuum closes until hitting 3500 rpm then open.

Thanks for all the replies with feedback on the exhaust baffles. Very helpful. Finding parts is another thing....

If not GM parts Direct.
I put Billy Boat Fusion on 2 years ago. The guy may have my old ones with the stock exhaust.
RB AUTO PINELLAS PARK FL.
ALAN IS MY NAME I SAY IF HE HAS THEM TO GIVE TJEM TOO YOU.
ALAN G.

If not GM parts Direct.
I put Billy Boat Fusion on 2 years ago. The guy may have my old ones with the stock exhaust.
RB AUTO PINELLAS PARK FL.
ALAN IS MY NAME I SAY IF HE HAS THEM TO GIVE TJEM TOO YOU.
ALAN G.

Hi Alan, I think my vacuum actuators are working as they are supposed to, the part I think I have that is bad is the control module, it's located in the left side cubby hole and is mounted to the back part of the box. Please let me know if you can part with this component? Stan
Exhaust module.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back