Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Front Turn Signal / Running Light replacement

Kennadian

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 XLR Crimson Pearl
The other day my left front turn indicator bulb gave up. Thanks to information supplied by this group I was able to disassemble and remove the burned out bulb for replacement. (You DO NOT have to remove the tire or jack the car up to do this.) The bulb that came out was a 3757 but when I went to the dealer I was told that I needed a different bulb AND socket because they have made a change to the part. The socket was a cool $50. The tabs on each side of the new bulb base are different than the older ones and this is the cause for the needed replacement socket. If you carefully grind off these tabs, you do not need to replace the socket and the 3457 (new bulb) will work just fine.

Does anyone have information about why this was changed? Was it just a cash grab by the service departments? The parts guy claimed that there was a heating problem that was damaging the old sockets. True or False? Thanks. :dunno:

True. It also caused 'crazing' of the lens on '04 & '05 models.

The other day my left front turn indicator bulb gave up. Thanks to information supplied by this group I was able to disassemble and remove the burned out bulb for replacement. (You DO NOT have to remove the tire or jack the car up to do this.) The bulb that came out was a 3757 but when I went to the dealer I was told that I needed a different bulb AND socket because they have made a change to the part. The socket was a cool $50. The tabs on each side of the new bulb base are different than the older ones and this is the cause for the needed replacement socket. If you carefully grind off these tabs, you do not need to replace the socket and the 3457 (new bulb) will work just fine.

Does anyone have information about why this was changed? Was it just a cash grab by the service departments? The parts guy claimed that there was a heating problem that was damaging the old sockets. True or False? Thanks. :dunno:

The entire headlamp assembly needs to be replaced. Just the lenses are not replaceable. They are currently priced at $680-750 each on gmpartsdirect.com plus shipping.

Yes. I noticed this cloudiness and cracking and wondered about it. Is it difficult and/or expensive to replace the lenses?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom