Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

fuel economy 5sp vs 6 sp

A

Animate

Did the fuel mileage improve with the introduction of the 6 speed transmission?

Thanks,
James

09 Specs: 15 City, 24 Highway for a "base", 14 and 23 for a "V" (both with a 6 speed)

04 Specs: 17 City, 25 Highway for a "base" with a 5 speed.

07 Specs: 17 City, 27 Highway for a "base", 15 City and 22 Highway for a "V", both with a 6 speed.

As we like to say, "Your Mileage May Vary"! Cadillac used different transmissions from different manufacturers in the earlier years (04-06) as you may know. cars.com is where I got the specs from.

Thanks! ... and I didn't know that different transmissions were used. It's impressive how close the figures are for the normally aspirated and supercharged engines. Presumably the ratings are for careful application of the throttle.

You are correct on the throttle use/abuse! :)

Most of us get great mileage in our cars..... until we thromp the pedal a little too much! But it's worth every drop in MPG!

My trouble is I find my gas mileage is inversely related to the fun factor. I figure it is worth an extra $5 a week in gas to drive the way the car was designed to be driven. Of course, that attitude will not win me any carbon footprint reduction awards. However, it may feel good to conserve gas, but let face it, we humans are going to burn all the oil this planet can supply and then come up with alternatives when we have to. I am just speeding up that day by a few milliseconds.

My trouble is I find my gas mileage is inversely related to the fun factor. I figure it is worth an extra $5 a week in gas to drive the way the car was designed to be driven. Of course, that attitude will not win me any carbon footprint reduction awards. However, it may feel good to conserve gas, but let face it, we humans are going to burn all the oil this planet can supply and then come up with alternatives when we have to. I am just speeding up that day by a few milliseconds.

Very well said!!! :lol::lol:

Floyd (BB)

Did the fuel mileage improve with the introduction of the 6 speed transmission?

Comparing various EPA estimates is dangerous because the way fuel mileage was figured changed somewhere along the line. So did other car components, including tires and gears.

Sometimes, depending upon how you drive, the earlier transmissions will get surprisingly good (and even better) results. The 6-speed doesn't seem like to coast on overrun, and, depending upon how you drive the car, that's really where you can make some mileage.

You'd think it would automatically be a leap forward, given the extra gear, but the gears and automatic shift points are surprisingly aggressive. The engine could be running at a lot less rpm most of the time, and rpm is gas.

IMO, YMMV, FWIW, etc.

The six speed transmission added another overdrive gear. My V turns just over 1500 RPM at 70 Mph! 27.5 MPG on a 700 mile drive back from Kansas at about 73 Mph. I'm impressed. Now if you floor it .......

The six speed transmission added another overdrive gear. My V turns just over 1500 RPM at 70 Mph! 27.5 MPG on a 700 mile drive back from Kansas at about 73 Mph. I'm impressed. Now if you floor it .......

Or if you keep it between 90 & 95 as we did after we hit the TX border on the way to San Antonio last May... couldn't help it, the lead car saw the speed limit was 80. Funny thing was when we passed the Patrol car (sitting on the west bound shoulder) at 82MPH (lead car had a detector)... started his car, crossed the median, passed each of our 7 car caravan at about 5 MPH faster than we were going, then crossed back to the west bound lanes, and again stopped and parked. My guess is he wanted a closer look??...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom