Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fuel pumps

S

Smoothran

Neighbors and XLR family members. Do your due diligence when driving these cars long distance. I'm in Nashville TN, and my car is broke down here, a long way from home. There's a link on google which offers 5 symptoms to look for with weak or failing fuel pumps. Too late for me because my fuel pumps failed. Pumps, yes there are 2 of them, primary and secondary. Don't understand why there's a secondary pump if they both fail at the same time. Sooo much heartburn with this car. When looking at it you love it but everything about it is expensive. Nothing about this car is affordable. Just so you know, Cadillac wants $600 each left and right. Amazon is much cheaper but you still need to have them installed. Also they may be used. Check those symptoms.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Neighbors and XLR family members. Do your due diligence when driving these cars long distance. I'm in Nashville TN, and my car is broke down here, a long way from home. There's a link on google which offers 5 symptoms to look for with weak or failing fuel pumps. Too late for me because my fuel pumps failed. Pumps, yes there are 2 of them, primary and secondary. Don't understand why there's a secondary pump if they both fail at the same time. Sooo much heartburn with this car. When looking at it you love it but everything about it is expensive. Nothing about this car is affordable. Just so you know, Cadillac wants $600 each left and right. Amazon is much cheaper but you still need to have them installed. Also they may be used. Check those symptoms.

That's why I get a aftermarket warranty company, my first one that ran out this past June was $1800 for 5 years of 100k miles! It was worth the money they paid out over 5 grand even minus the $1800 and any little bit I had to pay they still laid out over 3k my new one is 111.00 for 2 years but covers up 200k miles or 5 years whichever come first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I get a aftermarket warranty company, my first one that ran out this past June was $1800 for 5 years of 100k miles! It was worth the money they paid out over 5 grand even minus the $1800 and any little bit I had to pay they still laid out over 3k my new one is 111.00 for 2 years but covers up 200k miles or 5 years whichever come first!

That's great news for you. Apparently you bought it awhile back. I unfortunately just purchased mine 2 plus weeks ago. Had only 61,000 miles on it. Already costing me large.

When I bought ours last October, I drove off with an aftermarket warranty that's almost bumper to bumper including the folding roof parts. I felt sooo much better. It's paid for a blown radiator within a month of purchase and a window regulator several months later.

I feel for you

That's great news for you. Apparently you bought it awhile back. I unfortunately just purchased mine 2 plus weeks ago. Had only 61,000 miles on it. Already costing me large.

My first was June 2011 it ran out this year in June so $111 for 2 years I just started in May of this year 2016 and already used it for a $500 dollar job... it's $100 deductible they replaced the AC condenser I have 95k miles on her now!

My first was June 2011 it ran out this year in June so $111 for 2 years I just started in May of this year 2016 and already used it for a $500 dollar job... it's $100 deductible they replaced the AC condenser I have 95k miles on her now!

What company are you buying the warranty from?

What company are you buying the warranty from?

The warranty I just purchased this year is called Auto Service Protection
1 (877) 552-4020 this number but may be for claims but I'm sure you could ask for a number for sales if interested!
If I recall there was waiting period and so many miles beforehand. Which wasn't a problem for us because my old warranty didn't run out to June and we was taking spring trip down south that racked up the miles! Hope this helps!

Two fuel pumps is news to me. There is a single electric one (IIRC its in the left hand tank). However, there is also a venturi system that flows fuel between the two tanks and it is possible that this system might be called a fuel pump by some. It does pump fuel, using the fuel flow from the main pump as its power source.

So yes, if (when) the electric pump fails, the fuel balancing system will also stop.

All the best getting it fixed.

Two fuel pumps is news to me. There is a single electric one (IIRC its in the left hand tank). However, there is also a venturi system that flows fuel between the two tanks and it is possible that this system might be called a fuel pump by some. It does pump fuel, using the fuel flow from the main pump as its power source.

So yes, if (when) the electric pump fails, the fuel balancing system will also stop.

All the best getting it fixed.
According to the Cadillac dealer there's 2 tanks because the car is so small. The left one as you've noted is the primary pump which is the only one many list. Very few even list the right one. He says he doubts the pump went out. But they'll let me know asap whatever it is. I've come to the conclusion my car is like a beautiful woman. Do whatever it takes to get her only to discover she's a gold digger. Only wants me for my money. Lol, haha...

According to the Cadillac dealer there's 2 tanks because the car is so small. The left one as you've noted is the primary pump which is the only one many list. Very few even list the right one. He says he doubts the pump went out. But they'll let me know asap whatever it is. I've come to the conclusion my car is like a beautiful woman. Do whatever it takes to get her only to discover she's a gold digger. Only wants me for my money. Lol, haha...

Huuum :thumbsup Love the way you think...LOL
I had to have something similar to this done last year because the gas gauge completely quit working, so the bad news is they needed to drop the whole rear end out of the car to get to it...............then to top it off I drove it home and on that Saturday I drove her about 45 minutes to a car show and the gas gauge (that now worked) was down under a 1/4 tank so I filled her up and the rest of the drive back home we kept smelling raw gas and here the center connector pipe didn't fully snap together! So they had to redo the whole job to fix it again for free. Food for thought FILL ER UP AFTER THE REPAIR! Make sure it not leaking! Lucky my aftermarket warranty covered that bill :D Good Luck

Huuum :thumbsup Love the way you think...LOL
I had to have something similar to this done last year because the gas gauge completely quit working, so the bad news is they needed to drop the whole rear end out of the car to get to it...............then to top it off I drove it home and on that Saturday I drove her about 45 minutes to a car show and the gas gauge (that now worked) was down under a 1/4 tank so I filled her up and the rest of the drive back home we kept smelling raw gas and here the center connector pipe didn't fully snap together! So they had to redo the whole job to fix it again for free. Food for thought FILL ER UP AFTER THE REPAIR! Make sure it not leaking! Lucky my aftermarket warranty covered that bill :D Good Luck
Although you didn't have to pay, what was the total cost of that repair if you don't mind my asking?

Although you didn't have to pay, what was the total cost of that repair if you don't mind my asking?

With out pulling the bill, which is at home and I'm at work, but memory recalls pretty expensive, I'll try and pull the invoice when I get home I can't even remember a number, so I wouldn't want guess! But then again your problem may not even be the same type of repair.

It's still not fair that only some XLRs' are covered under the recall by vin number and other XLR s' are not. I paid for the first repair, it cost me $2500.00 plus tax , year later Cadillac tech told me the other fuel modular after my XLR went dead while I was driving on i55 southbound . I have my state attorney looking into the matter, I hope Cadillac will honor the same recall that the other xlrs' revived.

It's still not fair that only some XLRs' are covered under the recall by vin number and other XLR s' are not. I paid for the first repair, it cost me $2500.00 plus tax , year later Cadillac tech told me the other fuel modular after my XLR went dead while I was driving on i55 southbound . I have my state attorney looking into the matter, I hope Cadillac will honor the same recall that the other xlrs' revived.

I'm feeling you with this. If it's a recall and others have been spared the expense by Cadillac, all should be included. Mine is an 05 and one of the issues I've read is a clogged pump due to a manufacturing defect of a piece of plastic giving the impression the tank is empty.

The total was for my repair 2195.94
Here's a picture of what they did. Again this was for gas gauge repair
5a7b1e399e8ea749abf47d76b7cdf1f9.jpg

The total was for my repair 2195.94
Here's a picture of what they did. Again this was for gas gauge repair
5a7b1e399e8ea749abf47d76b7cdf1f9.jpg

Man, almost $1500 in labor costs. What type of exhaust do you have which added to your cost? Apparently the extended warranty folks didn't think it mattered. In either case we'll be re-spending the $70,000 these cars originally cost at this rate.

Man, almost $1500 in labor costs. What type of exhaust do you have which added to your cost? Apparently the extended warranty folks didn't think it mattered. In either case we'll be re-spending the $70,000 these cars originally cost at this rate.

I have Corsa exhaust but keep in mind they allow a book labor rate even it don't take as long as they are allowed for the job they get paid the allowed amount!

Your XLR only has one electric fuel pump, it is in the left tank.

Now, if you consult the workshop manual, it will describe how to remove the fuel pump from the right hand tank, it means the passive pump in the right hand tank. If you turn to the fuel system description at around page 6-1214, it explains that there is only one pump, in the left hand tank. The pump in the right hand tank is a venturi pump (item 9, the "Siphon Jet Pump"), as I described in my previous post.

HTHs

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry