Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Fuel pumps

Well the venturi pump is what failed. He said the left tank ran out of gas and the right side was almost full. They said they've only seen that done once before in a Vette. Too bad mine had to be the 2nd statistic.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Keeping less than a 1/4 tank of gas works against the pump. Says it causes the pump to heat up and shorten its life. Seems the first couple years were test dummies with these cars.

A friend of mine has the same issue. He fills his tank and when it gets to 1/2 full he sets his trip odometer to 0 and fills up again when he gets to 100 mi. He has a 2003 Vette.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A friend of mine has the same issue. He fills his tank and when it gets to 1/2 full he sets his trip odometer to 0 and fills up again when he gets to 100 mi. He has a 2003 Vette.

That sucks. Takes all the fun out of driving the car.

Been there done that.......Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the venturi pump is what failed. He said the left tank ran out of gas and the right side was almost full. They said they've only seen that done once before in a Vette. Too bad mine had to be the 2nd statistic.

The right hand tank being full of gas does not mean that the venturi pump (the Siphon Jet Pump) has failed (though it might have). It means that it isn't working, which is different. If the power source for the pump has failed, then it won't pump. That power source is a supply of gas from the electric pump, so for example if the line between the two has failed, then you would get the same symptom.

If the left hand tank empties before the right hand tank, you should get a fault code and the gas gauge level showing zero.

Last edited:
Never got a fault code. Simply went dead and wouldn't restart. The gauge was above a quarter tank but fell to empty when I tried to restart. Apparently the left tank doesn't show fuel levels.

Never got a fault code. Simply went dead and wouldn't restart. The gauge was above a quarter tank but fell to empty when I tried to restart. Apparently the left tank doesn't show fuel levels.

I don't think the gas gauge shows amount unless it is running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my XLR back. I'm a happy man for it. Twas 80 plus degrees today. Convertible top weather. Yip EEE

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back