Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Gas gauge flips out

BobbyT

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
Hello everyone. Another problem with my 2005 money pit. When the gas gauge goes down to the half way point, the needle nose dives to empty. Then I get a DIC display. I usually don’t let the tank go below half but sometimes it gets away from me. So far this year, the trunk latch, the hydraulic pump, and now the gas gauge. Still love it!
Any ideas or cures.
Thanks,
BobbyT

Mine did that when the fuel pump was failing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Known problems with XLRs and Corvettes. Most likely Sulfer build up on the resistive element on the fuel sender. Try putting some Techron in with the next few fill ups and only use Shell Premium gas to dissolve the Sulfer buildup . These two things fixed my fuel gage problems without having to drop both tanks. It took some time but worked.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I agree with Hudson above .that would be the first thing to try . I think people are saying a tank out pump replacement runs around a grand. if you go that way do both sides.

I’ll try the easy way out first
Thanks everyone for your input
BobbyT

For the last year I have been using non ethanol fuel and it had made a big difference better fuel economy and better power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techron is good,,,,, but try STAR-TRON fuel additive as well.... One step better, IMO

Fuel grade 91+

The owner manual recommend to use hi grade 91 octane,or higher, since I purchased this XLR I run it with 94 octane, including an additif for cleaning the fuel injectors.

My engine now runs smooth and the power is available quickly at the touch of the gas pedal.

For the long trips I used some time the regular grade, however I can feel the differents when accelerating suddenly.

Since we are low miles drivers, for the small different price on a full tank, I would fill it with premium 91 octane or more,this way the engine stay clean, runs better with a fine fuel mileage.

Its spring time I got my XLR shinny and when for a little spin, that drive made my day….cool car.

IAN :thumbsup

fuel.png

Hello IAN,
I’ve always used 93 octane since owning the car. What’s your preference in gas additives?
Thanks,
BobbyT

additif preference

Boobyt

The proper amounts of additive detergent for the injectors is already incorporate in the fuel, also 10 % of ethanol is included for stopping the deposits on the valves.

This is my preference, super clean fuel 94 of Petro Can.

$1.38 for a liter or $5.52 for a gallon…. ouch

18/20 +/- miles per gallon, with moderate driving.

IAN:thumbsup

I’m having the same issue with my ‘05. The car gets to half tank and the gauge crashes to E. Says service fuel system. I also ran out of gas at one point because it appears the fuel is only being pulled from one of the tanks. I’ve tried the Techron as well. I noticed the car is very slow to fuel up, keeps clicking off. The check engine light is on with 2 codes p0171 and p0174. System to lean. I’m going to try replacing the evap purge valve and the startron which has some good reviews.

Star-tron is mostly naphtha. It's "secret" additive only makes up .5% of it's volume.
Techron has mostly naphtha too, 85%, plus some other "secret" stuff.

The maker of Star-Tron makes automotive cleaning supplies, home cleaning supplies and other things.
Techron is made by a multi-billion dollar oil company and puts Techron in it's premium gas.

I'll stick with the oil company...

Mine did the fuel gage and it needed the fuel pumps replaced. Major job on this car. Been good ever since

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 5 best gas additives:

YouTube

I used a double shot of that Startron in the half tank and it fixed the issue. Good luck!

Hello everyone. Another problem with my 2005 money pit. When the gas gauge goes down to the half way point, the needle nose dives to empty. Then I get a DIC display. I usually don’t let the tank go below half but sometimes it gets away from me. So far this year, the trunk latch, the hydraulic pump, and now the gas gauge. Still love it!
Any ideas or cures.
Thanks,
BobbyT

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry