Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Gas Tank Leak

rahouse22

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue XLR
Has anyone experienced a gas tank leak? I have an 04 XLR and at 80K miles the check engine light was coming on. Turns out its not the gas cap but a leak in the tank itself. Both sides. Dealer says he has seen several other XLR's with leaking tanks...about a $4,000 project. Shouldn't cadillac have a recall on this?

Thank - RH

There are many items we feel should be recalled on this car. Unfortunately only XLR owners feel this way. Not Cadillac.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I almost missed this thread since it's in the "Off Topic" section. Can you move this please Rob?

I experienced the same issue several years ago and had the work covered by GM (major safety issue) while out of warranty.

If it''s the same problem, your fuel tank issue may be covered too, under GM Document ID: 2519705; the document title is "10150 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Fuel Tank Quick Connector Leak." Have your dealer check this out before you spend a dime.

It covers 2004 XLRs within the following VIN breakpoints: 45600796 through 45602844.

It also lists all the parts that may need replacement, like the fuel tanks, hoses, gaskets, Aux Fuel Feed and Return pipes. But tank replacement is the most likely fix for this problem.

GM sent letters out in August 2010 warning owners of the potential fuel odor leak and to bring their cars in if they started smelling gas. So it isn't a recall as much as a warning. The problem will be fixed for no charge within ten years of the age of the vehicle or 100k miles, whichever comes first. You're three years over the expiration date, but you might get lucky if you're on good terms with the Service Manager and he authorizes a one-time goodwill gesture.

Hope this saves you $4k! You can owe me a few beers if it does.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Check Engine light - me too!

Has anyone experienced a gas tank leak? I have an 04 XLR and at 80K miles the check engine light was coming on. Turns out its not the gas cap but a leak in the tank itself. Both sides. Dealer says he has seen several other XLR's with leaking tanks...about a $4,000 project. Shouldn't cadillac have a recall on this?

Thank - RH

My 2004 XLR has the same leak. A number of years ago, I was told by the Cadillac service manager that it is a minor vapor leak in the line between the two tanks (who knew there were 2 tanks??). At the time, Cadillac would not factory fix the problem. My solution is a small $50 device from Harbor Freight to turn off the idiot light. Holds for anywhere a couple weeks to a couple of months, depending on how many bumps in the road. I have been told that it samples the pressure and after three failures, it lights the check engine light. Of course, erasing the codes excites the local EPA at emissions check time.

Don,

The leak between the tanks (mine cracked at the joint where the crossover pipe connected to one of the tanks) is well-known and documented by GM. The Service Manager didn't do you any favors. (He wasn't a direct descendent of one of the Titanic's lookouts by any chance?)

Disabling warning indicators to obscure a fuel system pressure fault is definitely NOT advisable.

Without the dealership determining the source of the leak with the MK-1, Mod 1 eyeball, (the tanks have to be dropped to do so, which is a pretty involved job) you're tempting the Fickle Finger of Fate to point in your direction. In my case, it was easy, the whole garage smelled of gasoline and there was nothing under the car! Ignore this at your own peril. If it is the beginning of a crack, it won't go away and could get much worse.

CCC :wave:

Don,

Disabling warning indicators to obscure a fuel system pressure fault is definitely NOT advisable.

CCC :wave:

Agree CC ,,,,, hope Don doesn't want to be this guy :( :

th

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry