Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Gastank sending units

redsoxdad2

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Black XLR
I need to replace my sending units. Is there any easy way to do this. I was told that you need to drop the rear end down, transmission and then the gas tanks will drop along with the cross over tube. Just though there should be an easier way. Cost around $2000.00.

Dropping the Gas tanks.

Had a leak repaired on the Passenger side crossover pipe, we replaced the crossover pipe and the associated tubes that went into the tank. My mechanic was able to drop the tanks without dropping the transaxle. He removed the rear tires , the associated inner fender liners and the and the exhaust pipe. All tank plumbing was replaced for about $1,700.

I need to replace my sending units. Is there any easy way to do this. I was told that you need to drop the rear end down, transmission and then the gas tanks will drop along with the cross over tube. Just though there should be an easier way. Cost around $2000.00.

What are the signs that you need to do this???

If you are getting poor tank level readings (3/4 to 1/4 only) ... try some concentrate fuel cleaner first (several bottles, several tankfuls). I had a bad sending unit for about 2 or 3 months ... then started putting in the concentrated Fuel Injection Cleaner (I get at Wal-Mart) for about 4 or 5 tankfuls of gas. After several fill ups, the gas gauge started working again. Its much cheaper than $2,000... worth a shot.

Additive is: Techron (by Chevron)

Good luck

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...-at-2-3-full-5.html?highlight=gauge#post61188

Thanks Dave.

I've only had this car about a month but already ran two cans of SeaFoam thru it. I use it in everything - including mowers. With all the crap gas we're getting now, it's a good thing to do. Hopefully I won't have to deal with this problem.

If you are getting poor tank level readings (3/4 to 1/4 only) ... try some concentrate fuel cleaner first (several bottles, several tankfuls). I had a bad sending unit for about 2 or 3 months ... then started putting in the concentrated Fuel Injection Cleaner (I get at Wal-Mart) for about 4 or 5 tankfuls of gas. After several fill ups, the gas gauge started working again. Its much cheaper than $2,000... worth a shot.

Additive is: Techron (by Chevron)

Good luck

https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...-at-2-3-full-5.html?highlight=gauge#post61188

Dropping the fuel tanks.

I would absolutely try using the fuel cleaners first. Dropping the tanks is mess. You don't need to drop the transaxle to remove the tanks. I had to remove mine because the crossover coupling was leaking at the quick disconnect. You may even want to try acetone as a additive 1 ounce per 5 gallons. I have been using acetone as an injector for about 9 years in my Jeep with no problems - (keep it off the paint)
I was really surprised how cheap the sending units look. The contacts are exposed to the fuel so a good cleaner might help.

If you have to drop the tanks you might as well replace the crossover and filler neck rubber pipe too.

Thanks Dave.

I've only had this car about a month but already ran two cans of SeaFoam thru it. I use it in everything - including mowers. With all the crap gas we're getting now, it's a good thing to do. Hopefully I won't have to deal with this problem.

Yes my gas gauge is doing that. When I fill it the needle only goes to 2/3. After about 250 miles it starts to move down. When it reaches 1/4 of a tank I fill it again. I have used Chevrons Tech tron cleaner for about 7 tank fulls. Still does the same. I think I will use the Sea Foam or the Acetone and see if that will work. I will post the results.

https://gumout.com/gumout-science/

Gumout took seafoam and ran it through a new car with 60 miles on it. They put a bore scope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole before and after using the seafoam per seafoam's instructions.

Smoke came out of the tailpipe, the top of the piston showed no difference afterwards.

Seafoam is snake oil IMHO. It's the un-combusted pale oil in seafoam that is causing the smoke.

I'll stick with PEA based fuel additives that have real science behind them.

Thanks Dave.

Last edited:
gas tank sending unit

Redsoxdad2
you may also want to check your ground some where near the rear passenger wheel. There has been a few cases on this forum where the ground was bad on the frame. First it caused erratic gauge readings then no reading.
V happy:dunno:

https://gumout.com/gumout-science/

Gumout took seafoam and ran it through a new car with 60 miles on it. They put a bore scope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole before and after using the seafoam per seafoam's instructions.

Smoke came out of the tailpipe, the top of the piston showed no difference afterwards.

Seafoam is snake oil IMHO. It's the un-combusted pale oil in seafoam that is causing the smoke.

I'll stick with PEA based fuel additives that have real science behind them.

Well, this "snake oil" sure works on my equipment. We all have our preferences and experiences. Kinda difficult to tell just what it does on a brand new car that hasn't had gas sitting in it for 3-4 months - or a lawn tractor or weedeater/edger that sits all winter. It works for me - but I don't have a bore scope to check em with! :cool:

Seafoam

Hi,
i just bought a 2005 Cadillac Escalade, which the check engine light is on, The gas mileage is terrible, I mean terrible, all interstate driving i get 13mpg... The so called mechanic said he used seafoam through it and to fill it up after its ran out, We have filled up now 5 times and no its still giving terrible gas mileage, Is there anything i can put in it or do to get better gas mileage>> I mean i am a woman and by all means not stupid as this man thinks I am, Also they car lot was supposed to fix the trouble code on the Escalade and tried playing around fixing everything but the problem.. The trouble code said Fuel to lean, running rich, When we got the Escalade it wasnt smoking, Blowing black Smoke only.. Until the treatment ran out, I need to know what is safe to use to clean the fuel system ??? Any suggestions??? Also trouble code said o2 sensor bank 1 low vault>> A guy who works at Orallys also stated changing the spark plugs would probably clear up the rough idle/ like when you go to take off at a light or a stop sign, the vehicle acts like its stalling at times, but rough idle??? One more question please, The temp gauge started rising and i was gonna check the thermostat to check the coolant level?? Cant find it ...please help me,, thank you Sorry for so many questions I am new to Cadillac and want to check with you guys... THANKS

Well, this "snake oil" sure works on my equipment. We all have our preferences and experiences. Kinda difficult to tell just what it does on a brand new car that hasn't had gas sitting in it for 3-4 months - or a lawn tractor or weedeater/edger that sits all winter. It works for me - but I don't have a bore scope to check em with! :cool:

You might want to check out another Cadillac forum besides this one that's dedicated more to the XLR. 13mpg on an older Escalade really sounds about right. For an almost 3 ton vehicle that gets " Up to 14 city / 18 highway" you're in the ballpark.

One way to instantly improve your gas mileage would be to purchase an XLR!

Replacing a defective O2 sensor may help somewhat.

If the old plugs are fouled, a new set will help. (You didn't state your odometer reading, so it's hard to tell how old they may be.)

Seafoam has some benefits, but it won't overcome faulty parts.

The XLR is a Cadillac convertible. Here's a useful website that pertains to your car: Cadillac Escalade Forums

CC :wave:

One way to instantly improve your gas mileage would be to purchase an XLR!

Replacing a defective O2 sensor may help somewhat.

If the old plugs are fouled, a new set will help. (You didn't state your odometer reading, so it's hard to tell how old they may be.)

Seafoam has some benefits, but it won't overcome faulty parts.

The XLR is a Cadillac convertible. Here's a useful website that pertains to your car: Cadillac Escalade Forums

CC :wave:

I use Techron it's from Chevron, you can find it in any auto motive store and I also started using Shell gas v-power. Don't think you can change the gas mileage much. That's a big automobile, not known to get the greatest gas mileage.

Hi,
i just bought a 2005 Cadillac Escalade, which the check engine light is on, The gas mileage is terrible, I mean terrible, all interstate driving i get 13mpg... The so called mechanic said he used seafoam through it and to fill it up after its ran out, We have filled up now 5 times and no its still giving terrible gas mileage, Is there anything i can put in it or do to get better gas mileage>> I mean i am a woman and by all means not stupid as this man thinks I am, Also they car lot was supposed to fix the trouble code on the Escalade and tried playing around fixing everything but the problem.. The trouble code said Fuel to lean, running rich, When we got the Escalade it wasnt smoking, Blowing black Smoke only.. Until the treatment ran out, I need to know what is safe to use to clean the fuel system ??? Any suggestions??? Also trouble code said o2 sensor bank 1 low vault>> A guy who works at Orallys also stated changing the spark plugs would probably clear up the rough idle/ like when you go to take off at a light or a stop sign, the vehicle acts like its stalling at times, but rough idle??? One more question please, The temp gauge started rising and i was gonna check the thermostat to check the coolant level?? Cant find it ...please help me,, thank you Sorry for so many questions I am new to Cadillac and want to check with you guys... THANKS

I use Techron it's from Chevron, you can find it in any auto motive store and I also started using Shell gas v-power. Don't think you can change the gas mileage much. That's a big automobile, not known to get the greatest gas mileage.

2005 Cadillac Escalade with several issues,,,,,

Techron / Seafoam / Lucas are all good products, but that doesn't sound like its going to 'fix' your other matters on this vehicle. You need to get this vehicle to a well reviewed and respected auto repair facility near you, and have them find all of its problems and corrected. Throwing guesses at problems doesn't fix anything.....and if its a nice vehicle that you enjoy,,,its worth fixing right.

Fuel mileage? Have you replaced the air cleaner? Are you driving with the A/C compressor running all the time? Tire pressures up? If you reach 14.5 to 15 mpg,,,,accept it.......its not a Kia Soul

Good Luck

Fuel gauge

I had my 05 in the shop and after the return the fuel gauge is working perfectly.. the interesting thing is it was not in the shop for this problem. I have had the problem for about a year because I refused to pay $2,000 to replace. the tech reset something??? what ever it was its working perfectly now. Time to buy a Tech 2

as sending unit

Greetings, try run your tank of gas down to about 1/4 then put in 2 bt.of techron. You can get it at a auto shop or wal Mart. Run down to almost empty & then ad 1 more bt. It should take care of it. Also try a couple of tanks of Shell prem. gas. I normally run BP prem. in my xlr & my 97 eldro.
Hope this works for you...

Chevron gas has Techron in it too, if you have one very near, just get that for a couple of months.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom