Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: GM will end XLR

CTS-V Coupe for me

Not a surprise. I was kind of planning on a CTS-V coupe anyway. I just need more garage space so I can keep the XLR as well. Nothing compares to the attention it draws and it has proven to be a comfortable ride for long drives.

2009 Cadillac XLR will be the last

Jamie LaReau
Automotive News
January 28, 2009 - 3:58 pm ET

DETROIT -- General Motors will discontinue Cadillac's halo vehicle, the XLR roadster, at the end of the 2009 model year, a Cadillac spokeswoman says.

Cadillac plans to fill the XLR's place in the lineup with the CTS coupe, which it will introduce in the second quarter of 2010 as a 2011 model.

Joanne Krell, a Cadillac spokeswoman, said the move "isn't a fuel-efficiency play. The XLR had been out for six years, so it was time for a change."

"High-end vehicles tend to come and go, so it's not unusual when you look across all the luxury makes and brands. Gucci doesn't keep its most unique handbag season after season; it makes changes."

Cadillac launched the XLR in 2003 as a halo to showcase its new design image and performance-based technology, Krell said. The XLR was based on the Evoq concept from the 1999 Detroit auto show, a vehicle that ushered in a new, sharply creased Cadillac design language.

GM builds the XLR at its plant in Bowling Green, Ky., which also makes the Chevrolet Corvette. Cadillac initially projected 6,000 units annually for the XLR but never hit that mark. XLR sales peaked at 3,730 in 2005. Last year Cadillac sold 1,250, down 28.6 percent from 2007.

The XLR also was meant to bolster Cadillac as a prestige brand, pushing it into a higher price range. Cadillac executives targeted it against the Mercedes-Benz SL500. A 2009 XLR starts at $87,055 including shipping, according to Edmunds.com.

GM will launch the new CTS coupe next year. "That will replace the XLR as Cadillac's luxury sports-car imagery," Krell said. "And you'll get two extra seats; great design and its price comes in at significantly less than the XLR."

GM has not released pricing on the CTS coupe. It likely will be closer to the Cadillac CTS sedan, which starts at $38,035, than to the XLR's current sticker.

GM will launch the new CTS coupe next year. "That will replace the XLR as Cadillac's luxury sports-car imagery," Krell said. "And you'll get two extra seats; great design and its price comes in at significantly less than the XLR."

Sports Cars don't have "Extra Seats!!!"

Floyd (BB)

Tell you what big wig super high powered executives at GM who happened to take the number one auto maker and poof like David Copperfield make that disappear. Rather then relying on the government to give you all those tax payers’ dollars and still go ahead with what you think is a good idea like getting rid of the XLR and replacing it with a low budget CTS…..Ask us XLR owners what could be improved on the XLR! Why take your signature name brand of cars out of the upper high end range of Lexus, BMW and Mercedes by eliminating your top end model all together is beyond me! There is a large market of people who do what a classy Cadillac roadster.

But let’s face it. Even though the XLR great, it has many down falls. Most XLR’s do frequent the repair shops and the design …well….I’ll be careful here. It is a great design but it was rather a small change from the 1st model to the 09 model. Looks good but, only a few things were really changed. I’m sure the designer only spent a day or two on changing this. If not and he or she spent more, fire their Arse and get some one who is passionate bout the given Cadillac the upper hand against the above mentioned competitive automakers. I understand why big changes can’t be made but small changes are not that big of an issue as I will show you in the near future.
<O:p</O:p
I’ve worked for Toyota/Lexus and GM and I can tell you that quality is not much of a concern on GM’s part. Toyota/</ST1:p and Lexus would not even allow some of the material near their plant as GM put on there cars. Now again….I’m not bashing the XLR. I personally love the car and have even taken a side project to develop some aftermarket parts for the vehicle.
<O:p</O:p
GM…listen to your customers because we have a lot to say! Take away the XLR for now and get everything back in line. But bring the XLR back! CTS coupe to replace the XLR….pffftttt. Four seats???? Oh yeah….real sporty roadster! Let’s pay that bone head $100K a year too while where at it!

Jamie LaReau
Automotive News

DETROIT --
"High-end vehicles tend to come and go, so it's not unusual when you look across all the luxury makes and brands. Gucci doesn't keep its most unique handbag season after season; it makes changes."quote]

I think he would have come up with a better comparison than to a Gucci handbag!!!!:ugh::(:(:dunno:

Jamie LaReau
Automotive News

DETROIT --
"High-end vehicles tend to come and go, so it's not unusual when you look across all the luxury makes and brands. Gucci doesn't keep its most unique handbag season after season; it makes changes."quote]

I think he would have come up with a better comparison than to a Gucci handbag!!!!:ugh::(:(:dunno:
Well, better Gucci than Coach .... :laugh:

Galen
I absolutely agree. In my opinion, the XLR ranks among the most beautiful and well designed cars that have ever been produced. It will always be priceless to me. When I compare the XLR to other cars, I have to go back to the 1937 Cord 812 Cabriolet and the 1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster to get even close.

I don't plan on sending "Bella" to the collectors bowl until I can no longer appreciate it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom