Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

News: Got A Letter From Cadillac Today

XLR ED

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 XLR Crimson Pearl/Ebony
I got a letter from Cadillac today about the fuel tank leak on XLR's. The letter says some 2004 XLR's may have a fuel odor while refueling, driven, or after parked. If the leak becomes large enough, a small amount of fuel may be observed dripping on the ground. The leak may also result in a code being set and the check engine light coming on.

GM will cover the repair for up to 10 years or 100,000 miles of the original in service date. If you have had the repair done GM will reimburse you for the repair.

Has anybody ever had this problem or did you get this letter.

I like the "if the leak becomes large enough, a small amount of fuel may be observed dripping on the ground".

Nice of them to agree to fix something like that..............:(

I got a letter from Cadillac today about the fuel tank leak on XLR's. The letter says some 2004 XLR's may have a fuel odor while refueling, driven, or after parked. If the leak becomes large enough, a small amount of fuel may be observed dripping on the ground. The leak may also result in a code being set and the check engine light coming on.

GM will cover the repair for up to 10 years or 100,000 miles of the original in service date. If you have had the repair done GM will reimburse you for the repair.

Has anybody ever had this problem or did you get this letter.

Could you scan and post the letter?

XLR Fuel leak

Read this !!!!!

#10150: Special Coverage Adjustment-Fuel Tank Quick Connector Leak - (Aug 13, 2010)

Subject: 10150 - Special Coverage Adjustment - Fuel Tank Quick Connector Leak

Models: 2004 Cadillac XLR

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some 2004 model year Cadillac XLR and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles may have a fuel tank leak at the quick connectors that are used to link the left and right fuel tanks. The customer may notice a fuel odor while the vehicle is being refueled, driven, or after it is parked. If the leak becomes large enough, a small amount of fuel may be observed dripping on the ground. The leak may also result in a diagnostic code being set and the illumination of the Check Engine light on the instrument cluster.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the leaking fuel tank. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after August 16, 2010, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to August 16, 2010, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2004 model year Cadillac XLR and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year
Divison
Model
From
Through

Cadillac
XLR

Chevrolet
Corvette

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Investigate Vehicle History link on the Global Warranty Management application within GlobalConnect. Special Coverage Adjustments are displayed in the Applicable Warranties section.

Parts Information
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Part Number
Description
Qty/ Vehicle

Tank, Fuel (LH)
1 (If Req'd)

Tank, Fuel (RH)
1 (If Req'd)

Insulator, F/Tnk (LH)
1 (Req'd when replacing left fuel tank)

15223882*
Hose, Fuel Feed
1 (If Req'd)

10337583*
Pipe, Aux Fuel Feed & Rtn RR (LH)
1 (If Req'd)

10337581*
Pipe, Aux Fuel Feed & Rtn RR (RH)
I (If Req'd)

21008100**
Gasket, F/Pmp
1 (If Req'd)

* Less than 30% of vehicles requiring tank replacement will require this.

** Less than 25% of vehicles will require this.

Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Service Procedure
Determine if the left or right fuel tank is leaking. Refer to Fuel Tank Leak Test in SI for diagnostic information.
• If the left or right fuel tank is leaking, proceed to Step 2.

• If the fuel tanks are not leaking, no further action is required.

Remove the left or right fuel tank from the vehicle. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement - Left Side or Fuel Tank Replacement - Right Side in SI.
Install the new fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement - Left Side or Fuel Tank Replacement - Right Side in SI.
Claim Information
1. Submit a claim using the table below.

Labor Code
Description
Labor Time
Net Item

T5787
Perform Diagnostics - No Tank Replacement Req'd
0.0-0.3
N/A

T5785
Replace One Fuel Tank
N/A

Add: Replace Both Fuel Tanks

Add: Diagnostic Time
0.0-0.3

T5786
Customer Reimbursement (not for use by US GM dealers)

* The amount identified in "Net Item" should represent the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer.

Customer Reimbursement - For US
All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the special coverage condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.

A General Motors Customer Reimbursement Procedure and Claim Form is included with the customer letter.

Important: Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by August 31, 2011. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 160,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

- Proof of ownership at time of repair.

- Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

August 2010
Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2004 Cadillac XLR or Chevrolet Corvette, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2004 Cadillac XLR and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles may have a fuel tank leak at the quick connectors that are used to link the left and right fuel tanks. The customer may notice a fuel odor while the vehicle is being refueled, driven, or after it is parked. If the leak becomes large enough, a small amount of fuel may be observed dripping on the ground. The leak may also result in a diagnostic code being set and the illumination of the Check Engine light on the instrument cluster.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel tank connectors. If this condition occurs on your 2004 model year Cadillac XLR or Chevrolet Corvette vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by August 31, 2011.

Fuel leak

Glad I found your post. I began smelling fuel about 2 months ago and attributed the odor to overfilling the tank. Didn't think much about it until it happened again. After some internet research, I learned this was a widespread problem among 2004 XLRs and Corvettes. Worst thing was the repair cost. I have seen reports of repair bills approaching $3000.00! Just took mine to the shop yesterday and was doing research to make the case for GM at least partially covering the repair and found your letter. Needless to say, I was happy to find it. I just hope now that the my problem is actually the problem addressed in the letter.

The fix should cure the problem and it is no charge to you. Any Cadillac dealer should know that this is a warranty fix.

I am experiencing near identical symptoms with my 2005. Were the fuel system components the same as 2004?

Would you also say, "Yes" for an '06 XLR w/ a leaking left tank? (You just KNEW this was going to happen, no?)
:dunno:

My '04 leaks but my VIN doesn't fall within the parameters. My local dealer is gonna see what they can do!?!

I believe the issue was that the fuel tank manufacturer was caught using some recycled plastic in the mixture (without adding any modifiers) which was a strict no-no in the GM specifications of the fuel tanks.

The very first production runs were fine; GM discovered it during a routine inspection and corrected the vendor. This is why there is a relatively small number of affected vehicles... and why GM might not honor it for later vehicles.

The recycled (regrind) vinyl made the tank slightly more brittle at some of the stress points.

YMMV.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back