Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Headlight Wanted

MGibson.MSO

Hi all,

I recently had the bad luck to have the outer lens of my 2007 base model's driver's side headlight develop a large crack. I am looking to replace the headlight assembly. I found a dealer who will sell me a new-in-the-box headlight assembly for $8,000 or a salvaged part they represent as "insurance quality" for $4,500. Is that as good as I can do?

M

Last edited:
Hi Mgibson.MSO. If you're looking for near new quality, I've seen them for around $4k. I've found brand new for $6K and $8K. Crazy, isn't it. One would think we could get a Chinese manufacturer to make aftermarket ones?

you can ,100,000 will get you 40 made the next 40 will cost you 40,000 another 40 the price drops to 32,000 then there are two sides. How many can I put you down for? hahah When you check into the cost of making a part it is rather baffling all the parts in a car and how many of each has to be made to get the cost down. Then once you get them made the prices on ebay will drop down below the new price so you dont sell your new ones. if we could get 100 people ot say they all bought new ones for 1500 and stop buying any on ebay the price would drop to 1/2 what people are asking. Same thing with suspension modules. As long as people pay 3000 for one thats the price they will ask. here is a simple part . a side marker for a BMW z3 there are thousands of those cars all over the world .its a simple part should be easy to make but so far no one has .this one used sold for 500$. it has no moving parts . its just a reflector, I would think someone in the world could make it its easy and cheap. compared to this little light our headlights are a moon rocket.
99-02 BMW Z3 Rear Bumper Side Marker Red Reflector Left Right Pair OEM E46 for sale online | eBay

you can ,100,000 will get you 40 made the next 40 will cost you 40,000 another 40 the price drops to 32,000 then there are two sides. How many can I put you down for? hahah When you check into the cost of making a part it is rather baffling all the parts in a car and how many of each has to be made to get the cost down. Then once you get them made the prices on ebay will drop down below the new price so you dont sell your new ones. if we could get 100 people ot say they all bought new ones for 1500 and stop buying any on ebay the price would drop to 1/2 what people are asking. Same thing with suspension modules. As long as people pay 3000 for one thats the price they will ask. here is a simple part . a side marker for a BMW z3 there are thousands of those cars all over the world .its a simple part should be easy to make but so far no one has .this one used sold for 500$. it has no moving parts . its just a reflector, I would think someone in the world could make it its easy and cheap. compared to this little light our headlights are a moon rocket.
99-02 BMW Z3 Rear Bumper Side Marker Red Reflector Left Right Pair OEM E46 for sale online | eBay
Pure crazy...

haha I agree totally .prices continue to come down as more cars get totaled and people part them out. There are fewer and fewer needing the items so one day they will really drop in price

Hi all,

I recently had the bad luck to have the outer lens of my 2007 base model's driver's side headlight develop a large crack. I am looking to replace the headlight assembly. I found a dealer who will sell me a new-in-the-box headlight assembly for $8,000 or a salvaged part they represent as "insurance quality" for $4,500. Is that as good as I can do?

M
What side do you need?

I can 3D print you one for ~ $900. But you need to light silver silicon to the outer gasket yourself.

I can 3D print you one for ~ $900. But you need to light silver silicon to the outer gasket yourself.
That's an intriguing possibility. To be clear, you're offering to send me a replacement outer lens, and I need to figure out how to disassemble and reassemble the headlight. Do I understand correctly?

I don't have a printed outer lens around. Just offering to make one for emergencies through a 3D print service. How you use it is up to you.

To close the conversation on this topic, I bought a salvaged headlight from J & J Auto Wrecking for $5,650. That smarted. But the assembly was as advertised in excellent, perhaps even near mint condition. It must have been a replacement headlight, because the factory inventory sticker on the housing says it was manufactured in 2010. J & J offered a return policy if I wasn't satisfied with the part, and that sealed the deal for me. The other salvage yard that has them available would not agree to refund me if I was unsatisfied.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom