Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Headlights replacement

IAN

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 silver XLR
Hi XlR Owners.

After a search for other cars headlights that could fit on our XLR, guest on which car this lamp fits.

spyder-auto-car-lights-5064738-64_1000[1] - Copie.jpg
IAN

Attachments

• spyder-auto-car-lights-5064738-64_1000[1].jpg
    spyder-auto-car-lights-5064738-64_1000[1].jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
Hey

Which year ? My friend has an '06 Nismo and have often thought his headlights would be a close match to those on my V. Just do not know how close, is all.

Bill

Wouldn't that be something if they fit without too much slicing and dicing. Fantastic!

Hi Bill.

I believe that the 350z ended it in 2009, and the Nismo in 2006.

However the lamps look the same, this lamp could be an answer eventually for a replacement of the defective ones on the XLR, their prices are OK and the choice of bulbs types and models are available on the after market.

Your a fine reader.

IAN :wave:

Hi Gord.

When you make a conversion on your XLR it needs expertise of course a fine body shop that has the know/how is vital, for a fine finishing of the body/paint.

What I like of these lamps is their shapes are similar to our XLR, larger/longer and the XLR fenders have plenty of spaces to a conversion.

The purchase of them new are fair, compare to the used XLR ones presently and sold at some out of prices.

Yes they look fantastic.

IAN :wave:

we had a post on here or the other forum with about 200 lights that "look" the same and no were near fit. These where on there. 2 or 3 people went to keystone and unboxed every light that appeared to be close and photographed some of them . I would love to see one that would be close. Just remember unless you want to buy new fenders, it needs to be smaller than the opening .You can fill In around the light easier than you can cut and modify the plastic fenders. either way unless yo udo it yourself at 50-75$ an hour for a shop to do it may just get expensive. The prices continue to drop and the supply increases every day with all the totals out there. they will be 1000 1300$ in a year for decent ones

You...light up my life...You give me hope, to carry on...

...The prices continue to drop and the supply increases every day with all the totals out there. they will be 1000 1300$ in a year for decent ones

I guess that would be an improvement though it's still insanely overpriced I find.

headlights.jpg

So that was a rather pricey headlight, even when new. It's somewhat passé technology now so if I managed to smack one, I'd certainly consider building something else. :(

The whole XLR 'lights' issue is and apparently has been, completely out of proportion price-wise imho. Maybe it's time to seriously consider getting some knock-offs made in such quantity, we could put the whole gouging pattern to bed once and for all. ;) Make them so inexpensive, all the other folk would be looking to swap to these rather than vice-versa! :lol:

Hi Gord.

Re your positive comments, that is what I call ' having open mind ' for the good of the XLR owners.

Keeping the XLR as original as possible is a fine goal, however since the new parts are no longer available, we have to come up with additional ways to have our XLR rolling.

Sally always says that the USED lamps are coming down, unfortunatly it is not the reality, by having some solutions to replace the defectives old lamps, will put the pressure on the sellers who are taken us for grant, hoping they will really put their price way down.

I found tow other models of lamps that are very close to the XLR and even their interior are almost the same.

The proper box must be open, the chances to get a close replacement are greater.

Enjoy it.:wave:

IAN

Hi Sally.

See my comments to Gord.

You will find what you ask me….. the lamps that are very similar to the XLR.

Please make an effort to not putting it down…. again.

Get positive solutions, for the good of XLR owners.

Like…. you making the modification$$$.

IAN. :(

Ian, Good work. Your efforts is what will find us a solution to our headlight issue. I realize there are a host of potential problems but lights are probably the most important . Thank you.
John F.

IAn what are you talking about. continue to look all you want. Others have been doing it for over 4 years now since the headlights became so costly. I just started looking about 3 years ago and made a paper template that I took with me. Every time I saw a car that looked close I would check it .Most likely 100 or more . There was one car that was close , problem those headlight cost the same as ours and where even harder to get.
Prices used to be 3500 for headlights now you can buy them for 2000 and sometimes they sell for 1500 so that is coming down. I monitor about 4 sites for listing parts including the insurance sales for body shops. I see them getting sold for 1500 -1800 price so far this year. I have bought 2 so far under 2000 that where excellent.
Body shops only buy insurance quality lights which means they are very good. Much better than most on ebay that you look at. Collision centers rarely if ever buy off ebay because they require a warranty. The big volume sellers on ebay list them high to cover ebays fees and also to catch that customer who does not know how to search for parts at a discount.
I have figures and sales to back up what I say. They are coming down. New ones on ebay sold a year ago for 5000$ that same seller just sold one for 3500 new in the box. The same with Taillights. Once people started listing repairs they have also come down. There are new ones out here for 2000 and used for 1200-1500. down from almost double that 2 years ago. and there are 3-4 times as many as there used to be

That is called coming down in price in my opinion.

.A former member here that I know personally went and looked at every Cadillac light made that was close in the last 10 years. He also looked at the z. Why don't you buy one and mount it for us to show how easy it is. I am just stating facts. If you don't like them Fine. I would be fine with a 500$ replacement light as I rebuild totals and I would use them on every car I build making me lots of money . I could buy 3 cars right now cheap to build but they need the expensive parts and they will just get bought and parted out. Every day more are getting parted out than saved. That means more parts than cars at some point. But then the values of the cars are dropping so it all equals out. One day you will be able to buy a headlight for 800$ but then you will only have a 8000$ car to put it in. That's the same as a 2000$ light in a 20,000$ car. . Maybe shops work cheap making things fit in Canada but they don't around my area. and that's not even considering making them adjust properly and wiring them in. You get one that will fit and dozens of people will buy them I will be the first. In fact you find one that is close and I will buy it you for it so you can continue to help us all out .

Last edited:
Sally.

I made a search on headlamps and visit 4 sites, my result is the followings, one at 6000, one at 5000, two at 3000, two at 2000 and the balance are from 1500 +/-.
Also, one, that the buyer as to call for a price, I guest that the seller had a shame, to put his price for an hi mileage car, with a out of price headlamp.

The real fact is the lamps have not reduced at all, most of XLR owners have 2004,2005,2006 and 2007, wich is the majority of this car production and their value are in the 10,000 +/-

Most of us are not fools in spending that much money for a lamps that has so much mileages then the one on our XLR, my efforts in trying to make you realise the situation looks NIL.

My search for an headlamps that could be installed on the old XLR is only for the one who have no other way to go, obviously I know very whel that there is no OE lamps on the market, however I believe that the ones shows on this thread are a strong possibility.

Enclosed is a photo that shows an XLR with no lamp, it shows all kind of spaces to adapt a similar lamps that look very alike.
The experience of someone doing that type of conversion as far as I know is nil, that is why I am trying to bring up this possibility.
You as a Corvette/XLR repair shop, it would be welcome by the XLR owners to do that kind of conversion, perhaps the 2004,05,06 07 XLR are not the ones you mainly looking for business.

If you are an average owners of XLR please stand up.

By the way, the taillights that I converted last year and that you have put a dislike ( the only one ) are by the way working just fine, contrary as have you have predict.

As an owner I would like to see you standing up for us.

No hard rancor.:wave:

!AN
View attachment 9251resizer[1] (2) - Copie.jpgresizer[1] - Copie.jpg

Last edited:
Hi John F.

These efforts are mostly a distraction and fun, I have the experience and the knowledge on cars, if I can help the XLR owners in making their old cars rolling, that for me is my satisfaction.

Thanks.

IAN. :cool:

Wouldn't that be something if they fit without too much slicing and dicing. Fantastic!

Hi Gord.

Attached is a drawing of a lamp with the very similar XLR design, with the very close measurements as per the drawing shows, point A to B and point A to C, obviously the fitting could be a reality for the replacement of the old or smatch XLR headlights.
The harness seam to be similar then the XLR and have the same features, so doing the conversion could be not that hard to make.

The car headlight was introduce also in 2004, like the XLR and it is of a hi quality and not a copy, may be the same Asian parts supplier that supply most parts for the cars in the North America cars.

That lamps could easy fit with in the opening fenders of the XLR, a trusted good body shop could do the changes.

The lamps are available new or Used and also on the after market with different designs, with HID or Allogene bulbs, the cost are fair….. that could be a fine choice and a very good availability for the XLR owners.

IAN :thumbsup
s-l1600[1].jpg

Attachments

• nissan_altima_headlamp_replacement_9[1].gif
    nissan_altima_headlamp_replacement_9[1].gif
    34.5 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
and here is that light in a car. compare the lines. Its a nice looking light and It could be made to work. but it would require cutting up the fender and the hood, the core support the fender apron. Just not worth it. Look at what lights have sold for not what they are asking. I Just bought another almost perfect 08 light Friday from a salvage yard for 1800 Its insurance quality. That means it is very nice. And I think most people on here will feel their 06 -07 -08 are worth more than 10,000 for 1500 -1800 for light unless you need both it would be costly to modify two headlights custom fit them and save much money. That would be fine if there were no replacements but there are. People look on ebay at the listings that are active. Go to the sold items and see what they sold for. Then take 20-25% off of that and that is the value that they can be bought for from salvage yards. eBay charges fees,, paypal fees higher shipping insurance fees. Salvage yards have their own delivery network and don't pay ebay fees. I monitor every headlight and taillight sale on ebay and have the listings of over 150 sold over the last two years so I do know what the prices are. If anyone wants to look for lights . I just found the fiberglass mold I made 3 years ago when I bought my first xlr . It is a fiberglass replica of the headlight lens. I carried it with me and any time I saw something on a lot that looked close I would compare. You learn a lot from doing this. That was back when just fair lights were selling for 3000. I bit the bullet and paid the going rate and still look for a deal but pay what the yare worth when I find them.maxima light.jpg

:dunno:
Hi Gord.

Attached is a drawing of a lamp with the very similar XLR design, with the very close measurements as per the drawing shows, point A to B and point A to C, obviously the fitting could be a reality for the replacement of the old or smatch XLR headlights.
The harness seam to be similar then the XLR and have the same features, so doing the conversion could be not that hard to make.

The car headlight was introduce also in 2004, like the XLR and it is of a hi quality and not a copy, may be the same Asian parts supplier that supply most parts for the cars in the North America cars.

That lamps could easy fit with in the opening fenders of the XLR, a trusted good body shop could do the changes.

The lamps are available new or Used and also on the after market with different designs, with HID or Allogene bulbs, the cost are fair….. that could be a fine choice and a very good availability for the XLR owners.

View attachment 9283

Hi Sally.

Good search, however what are you talking about affirming the hood as to be cutted, please see the fender image That I have previously supply to the readers.

As far is the price that your stating are way up, with what I have really seen, it is a matter of looking at the proper place ( I guest ) as far for the quality, they are the same as the XLR as the supplier could be the same.

As far for the lamp measurement is, if you take ( from the drawing ) the park/flasher drawing measure of 3 inches as a guide (also for the readers ) it will shows that, on the '' side fender'' are the same as the XLR, now the '' hood side '' it would be a bit shorter of the XLR, so that means that the lamp has strong chances to fit within the XLR fender.

This lamp is very alike the XLR only the septic would be looking at the wrong place.

What is next now.

IAN :dunno:

we looked at that one several years ago its too wide. I may even have an old damaged one I can sit in the fender if you like .The better option is the 09 cts .its smaller. that way you can make a housing painted to match, set the headlight In the housing and it may not look too bad. I ordered an old damaged one off ebay for 50$ and will take a photo when it gets here. I have access to 1000's of lights should anyone want to see how one may match up. I am not against this idea at all. just needs to be able to be done with a minimum of expense and work .

Hi Sally.

I would try the one you have in stock first, as it is of the same low profile style headlight then the XLR.

The CTS headlights has the same style then XLR but has so many different measurements and of a higher body style
It would be nice if that could be done, I doubt very much. I have made a search on all Cadillac and they all have some differents measurements for a higher body style.

The tabs of both lamps need to be removed, the headlights ballasts has to be relocate.
At the lower of the lamp, a plate with studs with the dimensions of the XLR has to made to secure the lamp in the same place then the XLR, the present nut of the ballast ( relocate ) can be used for putting studs in it.

These are some of the changes to be made to get the old lamp of your stock in place and it would not be costly to try, if that work we will all be very happy for yourself. ( and for all of us )

Can wait for
the result.

:thumbsup
s-l1600B6LBF9HB.jpg5   5-20779745[1] (1).jpg315-1149R-ASHD7[1].jpg
2010_Cadillac_CTS_sedan_--_10-30-2009[1].jpg1   20951729638x640[1] (2).jpg

IAN

Hi XLR owners.

Here is an update and a recent search for the replacement of our present old lamps and not available ( new ) from GM.

The lamp is available used, with Halogene bulb or HID at some very economical prices and it is also available on the aftermarket in OEM or with similar interior design.

Would I had a serious need for it, I would do the changes, my present Headlights were replaced 4 years ago on goodwill 1/3, 1/3, 1/3, shares expenses by my Cadillac Dealer.

As you can see ( on photos ) both lamps looks alike and I believe that it could be fit for the replacement on 2004, 05, 06 XLR, with owners of small budget.

A fine body shop could be or a DIY been able to make the conversion.

It is a project for the know/how guys.

Good seeing

1134368352[1].jpg1   2008_cadillac_xlr_15570587185bc6d5e3b3D043E24-E04C-41C5-9110-D51405699E25-e1557442818322-940.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom