Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Headlights replacement

I bought a really nice drivers side on ebay for 700 .bad ballast (35$) and high beam problem .just adrop of oil and 18Volts to solonid to loosen it up and get it working.. I wil lfit something else when I cannot get them cheap enough to just use stock. I will post photos for anyone following this post on the above lights. Once someone on here has the outer lens problem solved then all the headlights issues are solved.

Sally.

That have been so many years of debates on this issue that we must come up with a real solution, it is none profitable for any one who wants to reproduce the headlights or a replacement parts such as the lens, that was debated several times with no solutions.

The majority of the XLR are old, in few years they will end in the salvage yards with these old life time headlights.

The present lamp that you refering is really worth only 10% of the 700, after checking a ''replacement used lamp'' ( same quality OEM one ) on internet, some of the lamps get sold for less money. some new ones are sold in pair for the half of the 700.

I encourage the XLR owners to express them self openly on this issue in order to solve that problem of headlights, that is going of their own interest$$$$$.

For me the solution is available for all of us, would you not doing so, that is OK, at least your intentions are very clear.

I will keep you and all posted, as a token enclosed are photos of an XLR lamp measurements that you can appreciate the similar dimensions.

IAN:thumbsup

5   5-20779745[1] (2).jpg

Attachments

• 315-1149R-ASHD7[1].jpg
    315-1149R-ASHD7[1].jpg
    109 KB · Views: 234
Hi XLR Tech.

Welcome on this site, as you can see this section is for technical discussions and that is precisely Sally and I we are debating of the worst problem of our XLR.

Perhaps you dont like the exchanges and that is OK, you have the choice to bring your suggestions in solving this problem or read an other section of this fine site.

My XLR had problems of tail lamps and i did precisely was you suggesting, in doing the changes and it works perfectly, it is OK if dont agreed with my solution in repairing it, in a economical way.

Why should I accepted the way you want me to do, since the headlights of my XLR have been replaced with new ones, following your view of solving the problem, for me, is also not acceptable.

Exchanging discussions will always be the most positive way for the solution and the respectfuls debates are the solutions.

Do you have a solution for the headlights problem…..perhaps not, is in it.

Respectful.
IAN :wave:

Hi XLR Tech.

Welcome on this site, as you can see this section is for technical discussions and that is precisely Sally and I we are debating of the worst problem of our XLR.

Perhaps you dont like the exchanges and that is OK, you have the choice to bring your suggestions in solving this problem or read an other section of this fine site.

My XLR had problems of tail lamps and i did precisely was you suggesting, in doing the changes and it works perfectly, it is OK if dont agreed with my solution in repairing it, in a economical way.

Why should I accepted the way you want me to do, since the headlights of my XLR have been replaced with new ones, following your view of solving the problem, for me, is also not acceptable.

Exchanging discussions will always be the most positive way for the solution and the respectfuls debates are the solutions.

Do you have a solution for the headlights problem…..perhaps not, is in it.

Respectful.

Ian, Ignor XLR Tech, keep plugging away. It's someone like you or Long Tall Sally that will solve our headlight problem one of these days.
John F.

Hi John F.

I aggred with you, let see first what he has in ideas, suggestions or recommendations.

He is out spoken and up front, maybe he could be eventually a partner.

He has 2 old XLR like mine, it is strange that he would not appreciate some one who has a possible solution.

Sally has a corvette/XLR repair shop and experiences and I like to debate with him, as it makes the problem to go forward for a solution.

For a unknow reason, XLR Tech and Sally are seems to have the same views, in an other words they dont really wants to solve the Headlights problem, unless it comes from the entrepreneur $$$$$ and not from a XLR owner.

Thanks for your support.

IAN :thumbsup

Hi Tech.

That is a good news.

Sally have solve the Headlights problem, as a new recent member you sound very well informed of this major XLR problem, it would be welcome for all of us as XLR owners if Sally would send some photos of it for all of us on this site.
For me that will end my search and the 400 hours of labor$ as a voluntary, and so many communications, photos and making the charts etc.

I am a retire person and I have no need$ and no time for been an entrepreneur.

I had the choice to ignore yours nasty suggestions (not related with the headlights problem) as good member I have decide to answer you.

Please dont reply, unless you have really some ideas for solving the headlights problem it self, I am only na XLR owner that want the good for all of us.

Kindly

Hi XLR owners.

Her is an other search, this time it is an european sport car, a brother of the SKY and the Soltice called Opel speedster, the car is in the style of the XLR, in a smaller version.

The headlights style is also of the same, that could perhaps been converted on the XLR, its price is very hi and the availbility is not so good. so let forget of using this headlights.

The lamp is made by HELLA a german producer of all sorts of car lights.

Since I love its style I tought to let you enjoying it.

Good viewing.

IAN

1o   opel astra Hella 51RoU7seHHL (1).jpg1o   opel astra Hella 51RoU7seHHL (1).jpg

Hi XLR owners

Up date for this fake affirmation.

Just received the confirmation from Sally 6.47PM, that the affirmation made by :dunno: XLR Tick, that he is not the one involved and the Headlights is still a problem.

For me it is a good news as I will continue my search for the headlight problem.

Some one has loose its credibility, yes it is a shame.

IAN .:(

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about. Your sentence structure is so bad, it's even got YOU confused. You're starting to believe your own nonsense.

Now, now... play nice gents. Try to stick to the point perhaps?

Tech, I don't know Ian personally but I will give him this: he appears exceptionally determined and, he's doing what he does here in a language that I believe is not his mother-tongue, so I'd really have to say you might want to consider lightening up a little?

It's kind of nice too, to come in to a new community with an open mind and perhaps without an attitude. "You'll catch bees with honey - get nowhere with vinegar", if you catch my drift.

Maybe see if you can make that fit first?

Best,

Gord ;)

:dunno: It shows this thread is 3 pages now, but I'm not able to get to the last post made by XLR TECH on page 3 at >

XLR Tech
Yesterday, 10:10 PM < ???

Hi PZ,
Let's see if this will get the page count to recycle. Forum software that caches page count is never good, when a number of posts need to be eradicated due to reasons beyond ones control.

Eradicated...man, I haven't used that word in ages! "get rid of, eliminate, do away with, remove"..."

;)

Hi Gord.:thumbsup

The nasty massages received from TECH is showing that I am on wright track to solve the headlight problem, as Beaver say I should ignore him, however, his upfront personality got me to find his real will in solving the problem, he did not have any real solution but picking on my person.
As PZ and you noted, Tech messages were removed, myself I was not able to refer to his previous messages, I dont necessary feel good about it, because he is a member, does a warning would have been the solution ?

As usual I will keep feeding the XLR owners of the headlights problem, to all,
thank you for your support.

IAN.:laugh:

The nasty massages received from TECH is showing that I am on wright track

As PZ and you noted, Tech messages were removed, myself I was not able to refer to his previous messages, I dont necessary feel good about it, because he is a member, does a warning would have been the solution ?

Possibly that XLR TECH has been placed in a 'time out' from posting,,,,or jettisoned into the dark abyss?

Hi pure zen.

That sound for all of us a severe warning for the none respect of a member.

That is OK with me.

IAN.:thumbsup

Hi XLR owners.

On my recents searchs I got few finds related to the custom of headlights, one is a Cadillac XLR black out with no lens.
For my owne taste, it would have been great with contrasts, such keeping the lamps chromed, the side lamps in place and the DLR lamp covered from the weather, also some Audi type led strips and halo lamps would given a cool look.
That could be a solution for the desperate owners with no money to repair the lamps.

The second one, is some way to hide that grey sealant around the lamp, and looking similar to the recent Cadillac models. That is obvious, that it give to the car a super look, for the ones that like chromes.

The third Cadillac is a
truck model, again it shows that with imaginations, every thing is possible in order to solve the defective headlights,

The fourth one is a L29 Cord, 1927, the first front wheel drive car in the US, the proud boxer Mab Baer and its manager and chauffeur standing proudly in front of the roaster.
Note the after market headlights, the unusual hood open ventilation traps, the door open from the front end, the hic is that the spare tire is completely ball.
Good old time when a cars were not a need but it was instead showing how rich you are and the producers were building cars with imaginations and love.

Enjoy the viewing.

IAN.

A4    image[2] (3).jpgphotos le 30 novembre 2013 de la XLR 006.jpgb0442f431db067da2d8414d78c2d3a25[1].jpg363d157bd3c909a2518ff0a144330592[1].jpg

Knock your lights out! :)

Thanks Ian!
The dark light is great. I'd have to see it on the car to really decide though.

That second one... hideous! :lol: On the good side, it does give some ideas regarding forming a lens if perhaps forming in one piece becomes too difficult.

Max Baer and the Cord. Fantastic! That's such a cool era (imho) for automobile design. Men's fashion...maybe not so good. I wouldn't have said anything to Max about it, that for sure! He's one rather big fellow and a boxer?! Note the size of his hands compared to that of his manager!

:thumbsup

attachment.php

Sliding 'off topic' for just one minute guys,,,,I like Max's shoes and socks :thumbsup

I'd trade my Air Jordan's for a set of those :jump:

Now return to regular programming......

:wave:

Hi Gord.

Here is the photo of the car, you like it or not it is a matter of choices. also i have discover on others search an other car headlight replacement it is smaller but not so attractive, I will keep you and all posted.

IAN
:wave:

image[1] (2).jpg

I pure zen.

I noted this also, they looks to be ready for a golf game as this the way in that time that the golf players were dressing with fancy shoes and socks with the lower pants inside.

I have and other photo of a roadster showing an other car with the after market headlights, noted the kid with its gun toy and the lady who do not want to loose the opportunity to be within the photo.

CCC-the-history-of-the-early-custom-woodlites-02[1].jpg

A15  ed3ae82d-2f73-4eae-a2a7-3960b85020cb (2).jpg

2007-Nissan-Maxima_11601[1].jpgn   2fcf33da42_800[1] (2).jpg
Hi XLR Owners.

On a previous thread I was told that there was no replacement headlights that would fit in the housing of the XLR headlight.
I found that the maxima 2007/09 seems to be smaller then the more attractive 2004/06, after comparing
the 3 cars it look obvious and evident that the fitment is very possible.

Would it fit like the XLR unit of course not, fitment will be necessary, the tabs of the maxima headlights are the first obstacles to solve in order to get the maxima lamp sitting with in the XLR housing lamp.

I have made a photo of the XLR headlights housing that you can appreciate the space of the XLR well giving all kind of spaces for the fitment, you will be the judge and appreciate the present informations given.

The fenders would also needs to be integrated with the maxima headlight, a DIY person or a knowledge friends would be necessary in order to achieve the fitment.
Having it done by a body shop could be too expensive for your old XLR vs it value.

I have made a find, that the XLR light anchorages openings are of the same pattern then the light ballast secure pattern of the Maximas, would they be in line, that only the fitment will say so, however if not, then an adapter tinny sturdy plate can be made so that the new headlight could be fix in place on the lower XLR anchorage shelf well.

As you can appreciate doing these search is like doing it your self on your XLR , aswell keeping it rolling instead of been part out, or in a
salvage
yard.

My next thread will be to compare the headlights with XLR measurements.

Hope you enjoy reading these searchs made.

IAN :wave:[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry