Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Headlights

Deluxe

My XLR/V(s)
Blue '05
'05 and earlier XLR's had some headlight issues that I think have been corrected by going to a different vendor.

One involved a recall. My recall never said why but I believe it had to do with the bulb/connector being a possible fire hazard.

A second issue involves the daytime running lights (DRL) actually melting the finish on the inside lens which made it look frosted. This was not covered by a recall but most dealers will change the assembly under warranty (but apparently don't have to).

The headlight assemblies apparently cost around $1,000 each so it is kind of a big deal. I think mine were changed twice, the first time for the DRL/lens problem and the second time on the official recall (I am not sure they needed to be changed that time but they had to honor the recall).

In both cases, I have heard of owners who were less than happy with the installation of the new assemblies due to poor alignment with the body panels. There is no reason it shouldn't be done correctly and it can be. Don't accept less.

Take a look at your running lights... the lens should be clear. By the way, we noticed ours when one of those lights burned out. Let the dealer change those. They remove the front wheel, then the fender liner to get to them. You might be able to do it at home but why would you want to?

Do you have the recall notice in electronic format? I'd love to be able to add it to the Knowledgebase here.

Do you have the recall notice in electronic format? I'd love to be able to add it to the Knowledgebase here.
No, it's been a little too long. Shredded and gone.

No, it's been a little too long. Shredded and gone.

Hmmm....I'm going to have to do some digging around at my local dealer and see what I can come up with.

Hmmm....I'm going to have to do some digging around at my local dealer and see what I can come up with.

Rob,

There is no recall on the melting lenses, however Cadillac knows of the situation and if you press them hard enough they will replace them if your vehicle is still in warranty. The entire assembly needs to be replaced and I believe they are about 1K each.

Cubby558:cool:

There is a recall that replaces a lighting harness assembly, but none for the melted headlight bezels. Here's the text of the recall:

MAKE/MODELS: MODEL/BUILD YEARS:
Cadillac/XLR 2004-2005

MANUFACTURER: General Motors Corp.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID NUMBER: 06V263000 MFG'S REPORT DATE: July 12, 2006

COMPONENT: Exterior Lighting: Turn Signal
POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 7689

SUMMARY:
On certain passenger vehicles, the Daylight Running Lights (DRL), turn signal, and parking lamps use the same bulb. The bulb may become damaged from vibration within a loose fitting socket or air entering the bulb due to an inadequate seal. Both of these conditions will cause the bulb to burn out prematurely.

CONSEQUENCE:
If this were to occur, the driver would notice that the arrow in the instrument panel would flash faster than normal when the turn signal is activated. The loss of the DRL and turn signals could fail to warn others of the driver's presence or intentions and could lead to a vehicle crash.

REMEDY:
Dealers will replace the socket and bulb in both lamps free of charge. The recall began on July 31, 2006. Owners may contact Cadillac at 1-866-982-2339.

NOTES:
General Motors Recall No. 06013. Customers may also contact The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

I just had both of my headlights replaced for free (labor charges only) due to melted bezels from the DRLs. (My car is out of warranty and the dealer did it as a "goodwill" gesture.) A new wiring harness assy had to be overnighted to complete the installation since the connectors on the new headlights were incompatible with the existing harness. (Upgraded Harness P/N 19120977, Headlight P/Ns: 25868095 and 25868096.)

CC :wave:

lens cracking 07-V

Hi
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced cracking in the headlight lens? Not melting like the '04, but random hairline cracks with no chips, or anything that looks like it was caused by road debris or impact of any kind.

Anyway - dealer has ordered a replacement (under warranty) and I will be SURE to check the fit of the replacement... I assume it's the same things to watch for as those who had the units with the melted lenses replaced.

Maybe I just drove it too fast, huh Cubby? :reddevil
~Quinn
(we need a Marauder smiley... tho I have no idea what that should be)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom