Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hello everyone my name Derrick

Derrick

My XLR/V(s)
2005 xlr blue
I have a 2005 xlr I love my whip, I've had it for 2 years and I'm having a problem with the hardtop retracting up and down, and I'm affraid its going to let me down at the wrong time. Can someone please point me in the right direction on correcting this issue?

I have a 2005 xlr I love my whip, I've had it for 2 years and I'm having a problem with the hardtop retracting up and down, and I'm affraid its going to let me down at the wrong time. Can someone please point me in the right direction on correcting this issue?

Just my 2 cents! You should find a Cadillac Dealership that works on XLR’s they would have a Tech2 Code Reader and the knowledge to troubleshoot you top issues! My 05 is at the Dealership right getting a bunch of things done! At the end of top cycle, up or down, the trunk lid don’t always close to finish the cycle, and interior trunk lights quit working, it needs the trunk closing latch and it is causing the lights and maybe both of these issues too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome!

Hi Derrick,

Welcome to The XLR Site. :wave:

There are a number of things that can cause the retractable hard top to act up. Besides taking it to a "Qualified Cadillac Dealer" ($), here are 'some potential issues/causes' that must be diagnosed correctly. As in, "A Successful Repair Begins with An Accurate Diagnosis"!

Potentials?: Low Batter Voltage, or a Weak Battery. These cars do all kinds of weird stuff even if the battery may test 'OK, but on the Weak Side' of the spectrum. Went through this with mine three years ago. Probably time for me to replace the battery again. The XLR's have more parasitic battery drain (just sitting) than any vehicle I have ever owned. Have the battery Load Tested at an O'Reilly's etc. If it tests good but on the weak side, replace it. --- When your XLR is sitting warm and cozy in the garage always keep it on a Battery Tender. --- Water having gotten into the lower left trunk area where the electronics are housed for the top operation. Pull back the carpet and the cover and inspect. Make sure the weep/drain hole at the bottom is not plugged. If water soaked and fried it as a result, replace parts as required and make sure trunk deck lid surround seals are good to prevent future water intrusion. --- Pumps/Hydraulics Failure and/or Electrical Failures. Do a visual inspection of contact points and wires for any abrasion and or dirty contact points at connections and or sensors and relays. A schematic and 12V Test Probe and or Multi Meter is called for here. If Electrical issue (not caused by weak 12V battery) scan the system with a Tech II Scanner and at the least, an OBDII Scanner (not as good as a Tech II) to point one in the right direction. Make sure that none of The Lift Arms are bent or out of ralignment. Visual inspection. A spritz of WD40 wouldn't hurt at hinge pivot points.

Not knowing specifically what kind of retractable top issues you are having as you did not describe them (?), I would start first having the battery Load Tested. Presently, mine is also acting up, 'again'. Ex., When I retracted the top the deck lid would raise and the top would fold into the cavity, but the deck lid would not go down and close while I was holding down the console button? I'd have to release the console button, then press it again with more authority. Then the deck lid went down. Yet the deck lid button on the trunk worked properly? --- So what did I find and do? (1) Checked voltage range at console switch (Multi Meter) and cleaned the switch terminal blades at the console button and Checked Sensors for Ohms resistance. --- Cleaned the contact switch points at the console switch. Walla! Trunk deck lid now closes. Yet sluggish (slow) not a crisp reaction as previous? Sensors tested good against known (Repair Manual) specs. Problem at final diagnosis? "A weak" (not failed yet) 12V Battery". So, will replace it 'again'. :rolleyes: As in "Oh Well, Here we go again". Another NEW Battery! Est., about once every three years. :dunno: --- Personally, I do not like the looks of the GelCel Battery's with their round chambers and usually 'red' color. Yet they are more reliable than a regular lead acid battery and last longer. --- May go that route though this time? Haven't decided.

Again, These are just some ideas to possibly point you in the right direction if you are comfortable trying to diagnose and do the work yourself? If not? Find a qualified Cadillac XLR Repair Shop (most likely a Cadillac Dealer) and have them diagnose and repair the issue. Herein lies another issue. Trying to find a "Real Well Qualified XLR Tech". Many Dealers are like "Oh yes, All our Techs are well qualified ASE Certified and Cadillac Trained". --- FYI, often this is just 'Bull Hockey". The XLR Cadillac Technician Certification is and was a specialty designation by Cadillac. --- So make sure whatever Technician you choose really does know these cars!!!

Again, Welcome!

Last edited:
Thanks my friend, I wish I had of read this before i put it in the shop, The Tech said my pump had issues, so i'm replacing it, and its costing me more than I want to spend, Thanks for the advice I'll save your.

At Least You Have Found The Problem

Thanks my friend, I wish I had of read this before i put it in the shop, The Tech said my pump had issues, so i'm replacing it, and its costing me more than I want to spend, Thanks for the advice I'll save your.

Hi again Derrick. Finding a qualified XLR Tech is a good thing. I understand the 'cost' equation. But at least you are getting it fixed. Please confirm for the benefit of the rest of The Members, was it water intrusion into the Top Motor and Pump Housing in the lower left of the trunk that caused the problem? --- If so, make sure you install new trunk seals on the lip where it folds down. They are readily available on line, are inexpensive, and relatively easy to install. --- Many things that often occur and break are the result of "cause and effect".

So, will replace it 'again'. :rolleyes: As in "Oh Well, Here we go again". Another NEW Battery! Est., about once every three years. :dunno: --- Personally, I do not like the looks of the GelCel Battery's with their round chambers and usually 'red' color. Yet they are more reliable than a regular lead acid battery and last longer. --- May go that route though this time? Haven't decided.

Take a look at the Odyssey line of batteries. Gel battery in a normal looking case. I've had one in our 06 since Jan of 16 and not one bit of trouble, and I don't have to keep it on a trickle charger. Starts up each and every time, even after 3 weeks or better.

Hey, Thanks! : )

Take a look at the Odyssey line of batteries. Gel battery in a normal looking case. I've had one in our 06 since Jan of 16 and not one bit of trouble, and I don't have to keep it on a trickle charger. Starts up each and every time, even after 3 weeks or better.

I will indeed. I did not know such an animal existed. Thanks Rexster314! :thumbsup

I will indeed. I did not know such an animal existed. Thanks Rexster314! :thumbsup

Do you cycle the top while the engine is running ? The only time I had an issue was with the car off. Since then I even usually have the engine on to open the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back