Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hello from the Beautiful Oregon Coast

Al,

I guess your comment would make sense, if the labor to make all the changes were free. Even considering doing everything yourself, I don't consider my time free, but some don't take that into consideration. Plus as Onalaska stated, you wouldn't be enjoying the car, you'd be working on it. As I said before, he obviously has a lot of money and patience to want to do this. It certainly won't make his '04 worth more than the other '04's, just unique.

Earlier V models are averaging in the Mid $30K. Your additions could cost you up to $10K and you're still somewhat ahead of the game. Good luck and keep us posted.

Corvette LS motor sway

Thinking about this more, I believe a LS motor would be a much better choice, larger displacement, more horsepower, more parts and accessories and probably a easier fit. It's actually smaller on the top without the big DOHC heads and supercharger so the hood could remain the same. Plus there are probably plenty of Corvette motors around. Since the XLR shares many of the Corvette running gear components it may be easier too although either swap would be a challenge. It would be fun to see the results.

Welcome To The Club

Wow. You are a braver person than I Gunga Din. :) Engine swap in an XLR from a Base to a V. I have done engine swaps in years past (Ex. 403 CI Pontiac V-8 into a 46 Ford Convertible w 4 speed Munci) but would never attempt this myself.

Welcome To XLR Net.

Things Have Changed Over the Years...

At this point it's beginning to appear that I might have bit off more than I can chew. Swapping engines used to be a very common weekend project. Even a Chevy small block into the back seat of a '66 Corvair was only a couple weekends. The 4.4L Supercharged engine just isn't the same. The electronics and reprograming required are easy; it's all the "special" add-ons this engine uses that are becoming more and more apparent every day. Maybe a different engine... a 6.0 or 6.2L LS might be much simpler; it appears that swapping a twin Turbo XTS 3.6L would be easier and get better gas mileage too... maybe the 4.6L will do with a ram cold air package, programming and a set of those Stainless steel CAT headers.
As for maintenance tasks progress, although slow, is being made. Pulled out the hydraulic Top pump today... learned that the control system is so smart it doesn't allow me to start the car once the Top pump is removed (good thing it was in the garage when I started). After the top problems are resolved it will be time to disassemble the entire dash just to replace the Key Fob Receiver with a newer one so that finding reasonable priced fobs are easy. As long as the car is strewn all over, looking as if it had been stripped, the HUD needs some attention. It is too blurry to read due to a cracked and crazed lens. It's just a piece of plastic, and (in older Pontiac units) the cover lens just slides off. Hope this is the same. Oh for the good old days. :)

Welcome to the XLR website,,

Personally,,,,if I was to ever taking on the engine exchange task,,,, I'd also go with a Vette LS motor. More options to play with, jmo.

Good luck,

p z

Anyone looking For a 4.4L engine?

Personally,,,,if I was to ever taking on the engine exchange task,,,, I'd also go with a Vette LS motor. More options to play with, jmo.

Good luck,

p z
After driving the XLR I've learned that without the traction control excessive wheel spin might cause shortened tire life. Even with the traction control on the tires are just beginning to chirp. The stock 4.6L engine has proven quite satisfactory. :) Now I need to find a home for the 4.4L engine. :( I'm listing it locally in hopes that some Dune Buggy builder might like it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom