Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! HELP: How to replace Folding Top Control Module

Coop

My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Jewel Red
All, my FTC module shorted as a result of the trunk filling with water. Anyone know the steps involved in replacing the FTC module? I know it will need to be reprogrammed, but I would like to save some money and replace the module myself if it's not too involved. Thanks in advance!

Coop

Welcome to the forum!!!!

I am sure Bruce "CadillacTech" will chime in when he has a chance.

:cool:

Welcome to the forum!!!!

I am sure Bruce "CadillacTech" will chime in when he has a chance.

:cool:

Thanks, XFireXLR. I appreciate any help I can get. I will also be replacing the suspension control module at some point, but that appears to be a quick exchange and plug in.

Best,
Coop

<HR>
Folding Top Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure

Place the folding top in the coupe position.
  1. Open the rear compartment.
  2. Disconnect the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
  3. Lower the rear compartment partition (1).
  4. Place a protective covering over the rear compartment interior and the adjacent body panels.
  5. Remove the side compartment trim. Refer to Rear Compartment Side Trim Replacement - Left Side or to Rear Compartment Side Trim Replacement - Right Side .
  6. Remove 3 electrical connectors (1) from the hydraulic pump bracket (2).
  7. Remove 2 electrical connectors (1) from the pump bracket (2).
  8. Disconnect 3 electrical connectors (1) from the folding top control module.
  9. Remove the bolts (1) from the hydraulic pump bracket.
  10. Lift the pump up and out of the storage compartment and set the pump in the rear compartment on the protective covering.
    Remove the screws (1) from the folding top control module (2).
  11. Remove the control module.
Installation Procedure

1. Position the folding top control module (2) to the pump bracket.Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.
  2. Install the screws (1) to the folding top control module.Tighten
    Tighten the screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

Position the hydraulic pump to the mounting location.
  3. Apply LOCTITE™ Blue, GM P/N 12345382 (Canadian P/N 10953489) or equivalent to the bolts.
  4. Install the bolts (1) to the hydraulic pump bracket.Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 18 N·m (13 lb ft).
  5. Connect the 3 electrical connectors (1) to the control module.
  6. Install the 2 electrical connectors (1) to the pump bracket (2).
  7. Install the 3 electrical connectors (1) to the pump bracket (2).
  8. Install the side component trim. Refer to Rear Compartment Side Trim Replacement - Left Side or to Rear Compartment Side Trim Replacement - Right Side .
  9. Remove the protective covering.
  10. Raise the rear compartment partition (1).
  11. Connect the battery. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
  12. Close the rear compartment.
  13. Perform the Folding Top Learn Procedure. Refer to Power Folding Top Learn .
  14. Inspect the folding top for proper operation. Refer to Power Folding Top Description and Operation .
  15. Refer to Control Module References for programming and setup information.
</FORM>

As usual - Thanks Bruce and Rod - more info for my XLR File.

While posting copies of the shop manual procedures are great for answering questions, GM makes their copyright infringment stance pretty clear on the bottom of the first page:

"No part of this manual may be reproduced, stored in any retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means (including but not limited to electronic, mechanical, photocopying, and recording) without the prior written permission of General Motors corporation. This applies to all text, illustrations, and tables."

You can re-write a procedure in your own words, but posting pages directly from the shop manual is not worth the legal trouble it can create for this website. Be careful. Cadillac does monitor the enthusiast sites more now.

CC

If they take someone to court over this (owners helping owners ) I would like to donate to the legal fund so they can beat the rap! I also hope i get called for jury duty at that time !

If they take someone to court over this (owners helping owners ) I would like to donate to the legal fund so they can beat the rap! I also hope i get called for jury duty at that time !

Count Me In!!!!

While posting copies of the shop manual procedures are great for answering questions, GM makes their copyright infringment stance pretty clear on the bottom of the first page:

"No part of this manual may be reproduced, stored in any retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means (including but not limited to electronic, mechanical, photocopying, and recording) without the prior written permission of General Motors corporation. This applies to all text, illustrations, and tables."

You can re-write a procedure in your own words, but posting pages directly from the shop manual is not worth the legal trouble it can create for this website. Be careful. Cadillac does monitor the enthusiast sites more now.

CC

Thanks CC, Guess I never read the fine print.
I have deleted my post...

This isn't about owners helping owners, it's about copyright infringement and more importantly: keeping this website out of legal trouble. Any potential trouble for the website (especially from GM) hurts all of us.

CC

Thanks everyone. Not trying to get the website in trouble... just looking for some answers! Sorry for the delayed response. My part just arrived in the mail and i'm hoping to do the swap out this weekend. Wish me luck!

Many of us have the manuals. I don't see a problem if the page number(s) were mentioned in cases like this just to help in finding the info.
Jack

I just had an evil thought that you lawyers out there might clear up. How does a bankrupt company have rights to material put out before the bankruptcy. The old GM does not exist any more. Any thoughts on this.
Jack

Hey everyone, quick update... I installed the Top Control Module on Saturday. It took about a hour and 20 minutes, but much of that time was spent trying to figure out how to unattach the wiring. Some of the connectors were a little tricky. Once that was done, everything was smooth sailing until I had to unscrew the module from the pump, which required a star tool. I didn't have one and I had to make a quick trip to Autozone, then it started pouring rain, of course. Once it stopped, I finished the job, reconnected the batter and the power trunk operated again. Heading to the dealer today to get the top relearned. Next... I'm going to replace the suspension module. If anyone knows where to find one cheap, let me know!

Thanks for everyone's help.
Coop

Coop,

Suspension modules pop up on eBay frequently. You can buy them cheaply from gmpartsdirect.co as well.

If you haven't done so already, inspect/clean the drain tube at the bottom of the left side compartment housing the modules. As you've learned the hard way, it's a lot cheaper than what you're going through now.

CC :wave:

Hey everyone, quick update... I installed the Top Control Module on Saturday. It took about a hour and 20 minutes, but much of that time was spent trying to figure out how to unattach the wiring. Some of the connectors were a little tricky. Once that was done, everything was smooth sailing until I had to unscrew the module from the pump, which required a star tool. I didn't have one and I had to make a quick trip to Autozone, then it started pouring rain, of course. Once it stopped, I finished the job, reconnected the batter and the power trunk operated again. Heading to the dealer today to get the top relearned. Next... I'm going to replace the suspension module. If anyone knows where to find one cheap, let me know!

Thanks for everyone's help.
Coop

Glad you got the job completed without too many problems.

Hi folks,

right now I'm at the same point: Getting pump and control module out of the car.
But when I started the procedure of getting it out of the trunk, I had a problem.
In front: I have the original GM repair manual and followed instructions.
When I disconnect the battery an annoying siren comes from rear passenger side.
Waited a minute but it starts all over again. No chance to pull out the pump unit with this noise.
In the repair manual it says something like "follow instructions of disconnecting negative battery cable",
but I can't find t
his chapter in the manual.

Is there a special procedure to disconnect the battery and damn where is it in the manual?

And where does it take power from to turn on the siren without battery?
This is really curious...

Thanks,
Sammy

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry