Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

help, keyfob not working

fastforward

My XLR/V(s)
search does not seem to be working so...

my 2005 XLR has been working fine, fob needs an occasional battery, but today the fobs stopped working. Could not enter the vehicle. Finally got in via the manual method and the car won't start with either fob as normal. (yes I changed both batteries). only by inserting the fob in the glovebox slot will the car start.

Does this mean the fob is recognized? or does it need to be reprogrammed?

Something I can do or do I need to go to the dealer?

Thanks in advance

PS, I have not been driving the car much of late, could a drained battery be (part of) the problem? But the car will start with the fob in the glovebox

search does not seem to be working so...

my 2005 XLR has been working fine, fob needs an occasional battery, but today the fobs stopped working. Could not enter the vehicle. Finally got in via the manual method and the car won't start with either fob as normal. (yes I changed both batteries). only by inserting the fob in the glovebox slot will the car start.

Does this mean the fob is recognized? or does it need to be reprogrammed?

Something I can do or do I need to go to the dealer?

Thanks in advance

PS, I have not been driving the car much of late, could a drained battery be (part of) the problem? But the car will start with the fob in the glovebox

While I do not know for sure what your problem could be - I would think (logically speaking) that if the fob works in the slot, it does not need to be reprogrammed (otherwise, anyone with a Cadillac remote just needs to gain access to the glovebox and drive away with your car). My guess would be that there is probably something wrong with the antenna or the car picking up the remotes (especially if BOTH remotes stopped working - did you try the other one?). You might want to try the "reset" procedure (disconnecting the battery cables and touching them together to clear any "issues"). Then see if that works. Remember, you will need to re-index your windows before you can put your top down after doing that.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

thanks

thanks for the suggestion, but after trying everything, I took it to the dealer, they seem to think both fobs are bad (one marginal). Having them replaced and keeping my fingers crossed. Battery and charging system is all good.

Both fobs going at once seems odd, did they test them?
They have a device that verifies fobs are transmitting.
Where in So Cal are you?
Bruce

Yes, they tested them (Parkway Cadillac). They said one was not working at all and the other was very weak, only transmitting at 5 feet or less.

I am supposed to get them on Monday.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

BTW, I am located in the Valencia area.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry