Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HELP! Need help finding a coolant leak!

Cleopatra04

My XLR/V(s)
My 04 XLR has been leaking coolant after it’s been parked after driving. Took it to the dealership and they reported they were able to fix it. Attached is the write up of what was complete. Drove the car home and as soon as I parked it, it started leaking coolant again 🤬! Any ideas?!??? 7A57A740-A92B-46F8-A5E9-1D915359C01F.jpg

Hi and welcome! :)

Well, back to the repair shop asap I would say. Quite obviously they've missed something, which with the cooling system could be as simple as a cap or could be as bad as a complete radiator. :( They do need to honor their work though, so the sooner you throw it back at them, the less chance you'll have with any disagreements.

HTH!

Gord :thumbsup

the 04/05 radiator are known to leak and eventually blow out the side tanks. if yours has not been replaced with a newer one all this was a waste. Also 75% of the time a small leak is the hose running from the filler tank under the throttle body and then to the top of the radiator. I have repaired several dozen of theses hoses with metal tees to replace the plastic cast ones. all one has to do is wiggle the tees and you can see the water drip. the design allows the tee to remain in place and just have a crack instead of breaking and dumping all the fluid. I don't know that I have seen a leak at the radiator hose to lower tank as they describe as that's plastic to rubber and not prone to corrosion as in the old days with metal tanks. reading their report they looked and thought it was the radiator ,when it wasn't they looked harder and found a leak on the upper hose I was talking about. thinking it was the connection to the engine they took it of and reinstalled it missing the crack In the tee. I would go by a radiator shop and have them take a look. other wise the dealer is going to continue to hit or miss and most likely break the radiator at the top right filler tube as its pretty tight to properly remove that hose without breaking the radiator. then its going to be 500$

Agree with L.T.S., again. Mine was the plastic tee. On recommendation from this forum, I ordered a brass one from Amazon (what is it...1/4 x 3/8 x 1/4 ?) and it fixed it right up for under $20.

John B.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back