Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help: Trunk does not work after battery died

Treasureroom

I have a 2006 XLR with an Optima battery.
After about 4 months of not driving it, the battery died.
I used the hidden key hole to open the trunk and manually lifted and closed the trunk.

Once the battery was charged , I drove the car for a while and put the top down.
When I went to put the top up, the transformation occurred and the top went up.
But then the trunk lid would not close.

The inside button did not work, the outside button did not work . I manually closed the trunk,
The trunk will no longer open or close on its own. The power latch seams to work though.

Do you have any suggestions I can try.?

Most efficient way to diagnose top or trunk problem is a tech2. It will show if sensors are working correctly which if one does read right it will not complete the cycle. The trunk alone I believe doesn't have any sensors? When manually closing the trunk,when you applied pressure down to close did it finish the close and lock sequence on its own?

Yes, I manually pushed the trunk down (slowly) until the automatic latch engaged.

Most efficient way to diagnose top or trunk problem is a tech2. It will show if sensors are working correctly which if one does read right it will not complete the cycle. The trunk alone I believe doesn't have any sensors? When manually closing the trunk,when you applied pressure down to close did it finish the close and lock sequence on its own?

Without a Tech 2, you'll need to take it to a dealer for diagnosis. Chances are, it just needs to have a re-learn performed, which doesn't take more than ten minutes if the tech knows what they're doing. The re-learn records the latest position sensor readings. If they change over time, the folding top process stops after the last (bad) reading as a protection measure, since it doesn't know if the last component ended up where it's supposed to be.

Worst case, you have a bad sensor or one out of whack. Most likely, the Rear Tonneau position sensor, since that's the last component that worked before the rear deck lid hung up.

The rear deck lid pull-down latch is tripped when the striker presses against it as it comes down. Those are pretty reliable but can be damaged if the emergency release cable is not pulled straight. Inside, the main components are just plastic.

CCC :wave:

Last edited:
CClarke was correct. it needed to have the re-learn performed which might have taken 10 minutes, but cost $200 at the dealership.
The trunk now operates perfectly.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back