Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help with an XLR-V purchase

My XLR/V(s)
05 Escalade, 06 XLR-V black on black
Hello everyone. New to the forum. I am looking to purchase an '06 or '07 XLR-V in black/black color combo in the $35k range. There are a few listed for sale across the country. I love Cadillac and looking to stick with the brand. In reading the posts it seems that there are a couple areas to look out for in the 06 or later XLR's such as top operation and signs of water in the trunk. Any other gotchas I may want to be aware of ? Would you run from > 50k miles cars ? I plan to have an independent inspection done on the car but I have to assume they wont know specifics as to what to check for in an XLR-V so I may have to key them in on some.

Here are a few I am considering. I tend to like the first one. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

2006:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171229001738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

2006:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...yStyleCodes=CONVERT&listingId=363959135&Log=0

2007:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...yStyleCodes=CONVERT&listingId=355667757&Log=0

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I am looking to purchase an '06 or '07 XLR-V in black/black color combo in the $35k range. There are a few listed for sale across the country. I love Cadillac and looking to stick with the brand. In reading the posts it seems that there are a couple areas to look out for in the 06 or later XLR's such as top operation and signs of water in the trunk. Any other gotchas I may want to be aware of ? Would you run from > 50k miles cars ? I plan to have an independent inspection done on the car but I have to assume they wont know specifics as to what to check for in an XLR-V so I may have to key them in on some.

Here are a few I am considering. I tend to like the first one. Any thoughts are much appreciated!

2006:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171229001738?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

2006:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...yStyleCodes=CONVERT&listingId=363959135&Log=0

2007:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...yStyleCodes=CONVERT&listingId=355667757&Log=0
After going through a out of state purchase. Flying across the country without any knowledge of the particular car,and getting very lucky. If I had to do it over I would ask/pay a member to check over the particulars. Or have a certified xlr tech check it over. There are too many little things on these cars that can make a purchase go sour. Would definitely stay away from multiple owners. Good luck

Help with V purchase

Caddyalltheway
if you can find one at a Cadillac dealer it is possible to get a certified warranty. When I bought mine the certified warranty was transferable even though I bought it off a private owner. I had a dealer run the history on the Vin that way I had the repair history and found out it had a certified warranty for a few more years. The certified warranty goes beyond the original offered warranty of the car. I would run the top operation various times when testing the car. Small items get two keys and latest Nav disc. If there are any wired in additions to the car get a full history of them and check out operation of any electrical function related to such. Good luck and I think u are making good choice I have not been sorry on my 06 v choice. Love the car
V Happy

Help with XLR V purchase

Caddyallltheway
Central Cadillac in Cleveland had a black V for sale a few weeks back. It should still be snowed in up there!!!!!!!!
V Happy

Can't say enough about getting service records. Big things early on that don't repeat shouldn't cause worry. For example, my base had diff fluid changed 3x in the first 9 mos. after purchase, but has had no more problems. Repeated computer/electrical work = run away, no matter how beautiful the car or how great the price. You'll be miserable throwing $$$ after $$$$.

We bought a V sight unseen from out-of-state, although we did as much legwork as we could - went through a dealer we are friends with, checked service records, & the dealer had an inspector go through it (which gave us certain guarantees). Still would never do that again - although the car is rock solid mechanically & in electronics/computers, it had some cosmetic work that needed to be done. Also has the standard Northstar oil leak, but very minor & not enough to work on.

If you check pricing on V's, they're all over the place, so it can be hard to target a price range. Just remember there's less than 2,000 of them in deciding how picky you're going to be. And that the base XLR's really have plenty of power, so you might want to take a spin in one of those before honing in on a V.

Also, remember Car Fax isn't fail safe on accidents etc. & the dealers know how to work around them (our dealer friend explained how). One thing you can try if you can get the VIN to google it - I've found more than one V VIN showing up on salvage auction web sites. :eek: There are known states you can cycle the title of salvage cars through to "lose" the salvage designation, so that's something to check on.

Definitely get the VIN and have the history run. If it is going to be a daily driver, see if they will certify it to give you the extended warranty. If it won't be a daily driver, the CPO is not important, because once it expires you cannot get a GMPP extended warranty on a CPO car. My '06 V, with 40,235 miles currently, had it and it ran our last October (years, not mileage). I have enough funds set aside for anything major which may come up, so I'm not pursuing an extended warranty. You'll also want to check the date codes on the tires, if they are original they may be out of date and due to be replaced. Pirelli discontinued these tires, so finding them may be difficult if not impossible. You can always go the route of some others and install non-runflats. As mentioned, cycle the top a few times to make sure operation is good.

Don't be too concerned if there are several warranty repairs on the history. It means they found the problem and it is now fixed! Good Luck with your search. If $ 35,000. is your max, you may be limited to higher mileage models.

Welcome to the best damn forum for XLR's
Smart decision to gather information before buying, keep in mind there have been a few that purchased very low mile XLR's that had some issues also because of not being used and driven!
Another thought if no warranty is left on it, purchasing a aftermarket ain't a bad ideal as I purchased one for my 05 and the cost was $1800 for 5 yrs. or 100k which comes first! Because it's a Cadillac everything is quite expensive. I've already used the $1800+ with repairs and labor with some repair stations charging 100+ an hour it adds up quick!
My 05 is not a V but like mentioned here by others on the forum, the base model is enough to satisfied me!
It would be wise to find a certified XLR tech to give a good going over!

So good luck with your search and may you find your AWESOME DREAM XLR! And maybe we can meet up at a XLR Event in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

2008 XLR V, Black Exterior,

Stopped in at Red Noland Cadillac, CO Springs this morning, on the showroom floor is an '08 Black XLR V with 19,000 miles. Asking $50,000. The interior is shale or what ever they called in in '08.

When I bought my XLR with 6,000 miles on it I got the CPO warranty I also purchased an extended warranty from General Motors that started after the CPO Warranty ran out. Mine is still under full warranty. Hope this will be of help and good luck in your search.

Thanks guys!!! Seems like a good group of people hanging out on here.
I will see if I can have the thing looked over by a forum member or a certified tech nearby the car im looking at when im looking at it, and see what i can do about a CPO warranty.
V Happy, did not see that black V for sale on the website maybe its covered up in snow in the photos ?
First Robin, I love the V at your dealership in CO but its showing up at $54k which is touching into 2014 stingray territory ;) Looking to hit around 35k which is seeming less likely with all the nuances with this car. Can someone describe this northstar engine leak and what to look for ?

I have owned 14 Cadillac's, most of them had or have the Northstar and I have never had an oil leak on any of them, I guess I have just been lucky with Cadillac. The worst thing I ever had happen was on my
Range Rover when the transmission went out at 47,000 miles and Land Rover North America would not stand behind it. Had to have it transported from Peoria, Ill to the Chicago area, (closest dealer) and when I got back on the road was minus $6,800.00 from my checking account. Got back to my winter home in Florida and traded the sucker off on a new Cadillac DHS. Sure taught me a lesson, no more junk from overseas. The sad thing was I was looking at a Bently Azure, White with white leather with Blue piping and a Dark Blue top. Decided if Land Rover dealers were so scarce what if a Bently broke down while on a trip as there are even fewer dealers. I love my XLR and know where the dealers are if I need service.

Thanks for the info on the northstar. I'm not so familiar with the northstar bc my '05 escalade has the 6.0L GM motor. I know they stopped production of the north* in 2010 but did they resolve these issues in the late designs ?

Thanks for the info on the northstar. I'm not so familiar with the northstar bc my '05 escalade has the 6.0L GM motor. I know they stopped production of the north* in 2010 but did they resolve these issues in the late designs ?

GM did not resolve the n* oil leaks.they got better at sealing and changed the middle block oil distribution plate and it all helped. my 3 N*'s all leaked.oil pans on gm v8's are also prone to leaks. jmho :dunno: AL

Stopped in at Red Noland Cadillac, CO Springs this morning, on the showroom floor is an '08 Black XLR V with 19,000 miles. Asking $50,000. The interior is shale or what ever they called in in '08.

When I bought my XLR with 6,000 miles on it I got the CPO warranty I also purchased an extended warranty from General Motors that started after the CPO Warranty ran out. Mine is still under full warranty. Hope this will be of help and good luck in your search.

Hi, Robert. I was in Red Noland after you, yesterday. That is a gorgeous "V". It has the chrome rims, and it also sports an aftermarket exhaust, too. (Not sure if it's a Corsa...) As pretty as it is, I'm glad I didn't have to drive something that impeccable through the snow, as I had to with mine. Real advantage to the Light Platinum color: it doesn't show the dirt like the black ones. Sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you!

My '06 Base XLR has started to drip a bit (surprise!). Turns out the timing chain cover is leaking a little, but the Costco warranty will cover it. :blinzel:

They gave me a SRX loaner, so it's all good. :wave:

Tim

Last edited:
If you got a GMPP extended warranty on a CPO GM car, you dealer did something is was not supposed to do. I contacted GM direct when my CPO was about to expire and was told no GMPP warranty could be purchased on a CPO car.

If you got a GMPP extended warranty on a CPO GM car, you dealer did something is was not supposed to do. I contacted GM direct when my CPO was about to expire and was told no GMPP warranty could be purchased on a CPO car.

So they can put a GMPP on a 2006 Cadillac ? I am being quoted $2400 for 2 yr/24k for GPMM. Does this GMPP warranty cover the entire vehicle for that time period ?

I was told that GM will not cover any car after eight years period? Not knowing but I would hope they'd cover everything for that rate.

Help with an XLR V purchase

Caddyalltheway
Be very carefully here. I had certified warranty with my XLR. I called my dealer when this was about to expire. They quoted me a few grand to extend the warranty for a few more years. I was about to do this but at the time the forum was saying Black Cadillac in PA. Would give you a better deal on there extended warranty. I called them for a quote and they told me it was impossible to extend my warranty. I asked why one dealer (mine) could offer me that and they coulld not. He explained to me that they would sell me the warranty and fix any inexpensive item but if I had a major problem they would tell me they made a mistake and refund my warranty money. When this all happened some third party company was handling GM warrants. The man at Black them gave me the ph number of the company and told me how to honestly represent my car. I then called that co. direct and they told Me Black was right I could not extend my warranty. Mileage was never an issue I only had 20,000 on it at the time. I'm not sure who handles GM warranty now? Maybe Cadillac tech could chime in here.
V Happy

You can only get a GMPP extended warranty, before the standard warranty expires. My guess would be that an '06 is past the standard warranty in years. The clock starts on the in-service date when the vehicle is first purchased, not the build date. So if you had an '06 that was not sold new until 2009; then technically if you are within the five year warranty period, a GMPP warranty could be purchased. My understanding of why a GMPP couldn't be purchased for A CPO vehicle, was that the CPO extended the standard warranty by 3 years or 100,000 miles; whichever comes first.

So they can put a GMPP on a 2006 Cadillac ? I am being quoted $2400 for 2 yr/24k for GPMM. Does this GMPP warranty cover the entire vehicle for that time period ?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom