Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HID Fog lamp install

rleonard

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
06 Infra Red XLR-V Midwest Marauder; Chief Machinist
I installed the HID fog lamp kit that Chicago Dave recommended. Here are some pictures of before and after as well as the process.

The V has oil coolers right behind the fog lamp that you have to work around. I found it easiest to actually remove the fog light assembly for lamp install. Of course doing that I dropped one nut that requires my arsenal of mirrors, magnets and gentle words to persuade it back out.

Here is a slide show showing the results and what I went thru. Took me a couple of hours, but I tend to take my time at these projects.

Click on the picture and it will take you to the slide show.

Bob

Per Chicago Dave;

"Here is the site I bought the HID upgrade from."

http://www.omnixautosports.com/Produ...D-9045-HID-KIT

The 6000K lamps are the closest color temp to what we have. You can see that on the garage door pictures. The new lamps are a wee bit higher color temp than the main lamps but you could only see it on a white screen. They will change some too.

In lighting, we do not rate any lamp measurements on HID lamps until they have burned 100 hrs.

Bob

Looks great, Bob. Yes, MUCH more involved than the base model (but you made it look pretty easy). I love mine - they're very CRISP.

Thanks for posting the step-by-step process for others to see.

HID

Bob, are they H3's? Can't seem to find D-9045 on the site.

Thanks, Rusty

Per Chicago Dave;

"Here is the site I bought the HID upgrade from."

http://www.omnixautosports.com/Produ...D-9045-HID-KIT

The 6000K lamps are the closest color temp to what we have. You can see that on the garage door pictures. The new lamps are a wee bit higher color temp than the main lamps but you could only see it on a white screen. They will change some too.

In lighting, we do not rate any lamp measurements on HID lamps until they have burned 100 hrs.

Bob

Thanks Kevin. You beat me to posting a new link. Looks like they have changed the website around.

Rusty, the 6000K 9045 conversion kit is the one you want.

Bob

hid

Thanks Kevin. You beat me to posting a new link. Looks like they have changed the website around.

Rusty, the 6000K 9045 conversion kit is the one you want.

Bob

The thing is, I already have a kit, which I purchased to upgrade my driving lights on my bike. The kit I have, has a base (H3) which fits the H3 socket in my driving lights. It has an indexing tab recess, as well as a notch for a retaining screw. My question, is whether this base I have, will fit the arrangement in my XLR fog lights.
Sorry for my unclear question.

Rusty

There is a possibility that the lamp will fit into the housing, but optically it will be all wrong. LCL of H3 is 18mm. LCL of 9045 is 31.5mm. LCL is short for Lighted center length. That is the distance from the mounting surface to the center of the light source.

The H3 being far too short will place the light at the improper position in the reflector. The beam pattern will be badly distorted.

Bob

HID

Thanks, Bob. Wanted to use them on my bike anyway!!!! Ha. On my bike, it is a conspicuity issue, anyway, for that purpose, they are just fine.

Rusty

There is a possibility that the lamp will fit into the housing, but optically it will be all wrong. LCL of H3 is 18mm. LCL of 9045 is 31.5mm. LCL is short for Lighted center length. That is the distance from the mounting surface to the center of the light source.

The H3 being far too short will place the light at the improper position in the reflector. The beam pattern will be badly distorted.

Bob

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back