Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HID Headlights

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
I just completed an upgrade to HID-6000 Fog Lamps. In the effort to ensure the best match with the headlights, I'd like to upgrade them from the OEM 4300 to 6000, as well.

Question 1: Has anyone done this for their XLR? Problems encountered?

Question 2: Can this be achieved by replacing the 4300 bulbs with 6000 bulbs using the existing OEM power/ballasts... or is a kit including new ballasts required? Is a relay cable needed? Was NOT needed with fog lamps.

Question 3: If a "Bi-Xenon" bulb is selected, will this accommodate both low & high beams on the XLR, or will two separate bulbs be needed? I'd prefer for all "thrown light" to be of the HID variety for continuity.

Simple question for most of you, probably, but have never dealt with HID before and want to be sure the proper items are sourced. Tips for best available products would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

I recently upgraded my headlamps from 4300k to 6000k by just replacing the bulb with a bulb that uses the existing 4300k OEM ballast. I got them from ebay and they were about $60.00 for the pair, I will post the link as soon as I find it. I also upgraded my fog lights to 6000k, but I found that the fog light reflectors will cause a slight blue tinge to the emitted light. With that said they will not be a 100% color match (at least in my case), but very close.
:cool:

Thanks for the reply and the link! So, this bulb will replace the low beam 4300 and would then allow low beam/fog lamps to both produce at 6000 in my case. When high beams are used the existing 4300 would produce (fog lamps automatically cut off on high beam selection). Can the high beam be upgraded to 6000? Don't we have separate bulbs for hi/low?

I can see where the fog lamp reflection process could alter the emitted tint somewhat. Guess I'm just looking for the closest match practical.

Did you remove the light assembly to facilitate the bulb change? I'd like to change the little side marker bulb, or whatever it is, to LED... cleaning up the entire white light appearance. I think that's best done with the assembly removed.

HID Hi Beams

If I am not mistaken, the hi beams are controlled by a shutter mechanism in the HID light assembly itself, so changing the lo beams to 6000K bulbs will automatically change the hi beams as well. I do not believe there are seperate bulbs for hi/lo beams in the XLR.

That's interesting... and pretty cool engineering, too, if indeed a fact. I don't want to order needless components. The eBay link provided above leads to what appears to be reasonably priced bulbs, but I want to be assured they would solve all the headlight needs. Thanks for your input!

If you pop the hood and look at the headligt assembly you will see there is only one ballast and one light on each side for hi/lo beams so it must all be controlled by the one bulb. Possible some smoke and mirrors thrown in for good luck, but just the one bulb.

Yes I did remove the headlamp assembly, but only changed the headlamp bulbs. I am in the process of swapping out all my other bulbs for LED's. I also came across a very interesting LED turn signal bulb. This bulb will remain on with your headlamps and burn white and then turn amber with the turn signals are engaged, I am just waiting for confirmation from the vendor that they will not need a relay or resistor.

When you get the info from your supplier on the LED, please post it on the forum. There are many of us interested in swapping out the standard incandesants for LEDs. Most of the sites I have found that offer those bulbs say they are not compatible with the XLR. Let us know your results. It would also be nice if you would post pics. :cool:

When you get the info from your supplier on the LED, please post it on the forum. There are many of us interested in swapping out the standard incandesants for LEDs. Most of the sites I have found that offer those bulbs say they are not compatible with the XLR. Let us know your results. It would also be nice if you would post pics. :cool:

Will do when I am done, taking my time....want to get it right the first time.

If I am not mistaken, the hi beams are controlled by a shutter mechanism in the HID light assembly itself, so changing the lo beams to 6000K bulbs will automatically change the hi beams as well. I do not believe there are seperate bulbs for hi/lo beams in the XLR.

Yes... this is correct. When you switch from Hi beams to low, a shutter cuts off half the light for your low beams.

Yes... this is correct. When you switch from Hi beams to low, a shutter cuts off half the light for your low beams.

That is GOOD news! Only a pair of bulbs to source and install. Hope to plug in a couple of LEDs into that inside slot to replace the white incandescent while I'm there.

Does anyone know definitively what that particular inside light is called? I've heard both parking and side marker. I would think the side marker would be positioned on the outside of the assembly. Thanks, again!

That is GOOD news! Only a pair of bulbs to source and install. Hope to plug in a couple of LEDs into that inside slot to replace the white incandescent while I'm there.

Does anyone know definitively what that particular inside light is called? I've heard both parking and side marker. I would think the side marker would be positioned on the outside of the assembly. Thanks, again!

The side marker is the amber lens on the outside of the HL assembly. The parking light is the clear lens on the inside of the HL assembly.

Finished the headlight upgrade to HID 6000k yesterday with V-LEDs bulbs. Removed the headlight assembly via turning the tires and no removal was necessary. Replaced the side marker and parking incandescents with LEDs while there and they look great. Didn't involve the signal lamps with this project, but may do something in the future. I did have to shorten the shank of the side markers by about 1/8" on the grinder, however. A shorter flank-firing LED would've probably fit better than the one I sourced.

The 6000k headlights are much more of a match with the HID 6000k fog lamp upgrade accomplished last weekend. I can see how you guys that have done this are please with your results.

In addition to the front end lighting mods, I've upgraded all interior bulbs to LEDs, including the trunk lights, with the exception of the little console lamp that engages when the console lid is lifted. This lens cover is snuggly flush with the side of the console and I haven't been able to access the socket to replace the bulb. If anyone has done this please advise the steps taken. I wonder if the console lamp has to be accessed from below the removed waterfall shelves? That would be a long reach forward! Perhaps the lower console must be removed? How best is that accomplished?

Next on the list is replacing the license plate bulbs with LEDs. I know the rear deck lid insulator has to be removed for access to this area, but are there other obstacles that I should be aware of in this effort?

I also have an embroidered Cadillac crest and XLR logo coming to apply to my under hood insulator. This will match the rear deck lid liner several of us acquired a while back. I will probably wish that I'd bought a new insulator with this already affixed, but decided to save the $200 and affix it myself. If tips are available from someone who's undertaken this little project WITH SUCCESS... I'd appreciate your sharing with me before I get started!

By the way, I couldn't persuade the heat shrink to work properly in removing the map lights like many have done. I did, however, use a delicate, but firm, touch with a pair of the wife's tweezers to eject the OEM bulbs. I miss the concert dimming effect of the incandescents, but really like the brightness and intensity/color match with the other interior LEDs.

Just thought I'd share... :wave:

You should be able to remove the console light assembly with a flat bladed tool like a butter knife or putty knife. Once you are able to get either the top or a side exposed the entire assembly just pops out.

I also replaced the interior incandescents with LEDs, however, mine still retain the concern dimming effect, just not as noticable as with the incandescents.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom