Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! High Heat Paint?????

Phil105

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR base
May be a stupid question, but I don't know the answer - - - therefore the question!

I'd like to paint the engine cover in my car. Wondering if it's really necessary to use high heat engine paint for this plastic cover.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

No. You can use the same paint that's on the exterior - I did & have had no problems. This includes driving the car for 8-10 hours straight in summer when I assume the engine got plenty hot.

Interesting note: painting was done by my original dealer who "lost" their franchise in GM's bankruptcy. My "replacement" dealer said their guys would NEVER have painted the "used" cover because it would peel. However, like I said, mine is doing fine.

No. You can use the same paint that's on the exterior - I did & have had no problems. This includes driving the car for 8-10 hours straight in summer when I assume the engine got plenty hot.

Interesting note: painting was done by my original dealer who "lost" their franchise in GM's bankruptcy. My "replacement" dealer said their guys would NEVER have painted the "used" cover because it would peel. However, like I said, mine is doing fine.

Thanks! Didn't think it was necessay as I've seen many covers painted in colors not easily found in high heat formulas. Planning on using Duplicolor rattle cans. We'll see.

PAINT ENGINE COVER

May be a stupid question, but I don't know the answer - - - therefore the question!

I'd like to paint the engine cover in my car. Wondering if it's really necessary to use high heat engine paint for this plastic cover.

Thanks for any help.

Phil

No you do not have to use high heat paint but color matching is very expensive. Also used regular body paint on calipers and it is holding fine. will try to down load photos. Failed to mention you need to prep extra good & use correct primer that paint dealer suggests.

David J XLR ENGINE COVER.jpgxlr caliper 2.jpg

Last edited:
No you do not have to use high heat paint but color matching is very expensive. Also used regular body paint on calipers and it is holding fine. will try to down load photos. Failed to mention you need to prep extra good & use correct primer that paint dealer suggests.
David J

Thanks.
Not planning on a color match - gonna use off-the-shelf duplicolor paint to do it in colors off Cadillac Logo - gold, blue, silver (as close a match as they have) with letters in red. If it looks too cluttered I can easily change since I don't have to try and find high temp paint.

I DO APPRECIATE ya'll's input!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back