Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hood Alignment

jjsea55

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Black Raven XLR-V, Shale interior
Just noticed that the windshield corner of my hood on the passenger side is elevated approx. 1/2" when closed. Driver side is flush with the fender as normal. I cannot detect anything that is preventing the elevated side from resting flush with the fender. The channel from windshield to grill is consistent from side to side. Is there an adjustment somewhere that may have become errant? Anyone had a similar issue? Any input appreciated... thanks!

IMG-0427.jpgIMG-0428.jpg
These are photos of the hood corners on my V. There does not appear to be anything the hood is contacting that would force the passenger side to be elevated. Perhaps the bracket needs adjusting, but nothing is loose.

Hi,
Hood hinges on a XLR are about as simple as they come. Single pivot point, so odds are your right side hinge has decided to come a bit loose and shift up or it's bent.

Consider looking at the hinges and see if you notice if the right side is positioned somewhat similar to the left. Imagine that the pivot point needs to drop <whatever amount=""> downwards. Note also if there's any sign something got bent (comparing one to the other) and also give 'em both a little lubrication while you're there. Look for marks carefully where it might have been prior, both on the hinge and the mounting point of the chassis. If it shifted, there may be slight scratch marks around the bolts where they slid in the hinge.

Odds are it has just slipped 'up', maybe from being sticky or from bolts that were not quite tight enough, so with a little careful trial and error, you can get it back in line with no great effort at all. Make sure the bolts are all tightened properly of course.

HTH!

Gord ;)</whatever>

Thanks for the reply, Gord! I cannot detect any loose bolts or scrapes on the hinges. I have not removed any bolts yet, so unsure if there is "adjustment space" underneath the washer. The hood does not appear to be bent or mis-shaped in any manner that I can see. I also cannot remember any activity that would have caused this to happen. I did have the struts replaced a few years ago, but they seem to be aligned and working as expected.

I will take a closer look and see if I can make an adjustment with the bracket/hinge mechanism. Again, many thanks for your response!

You're most welcome.
I looked it up and the bolt torque for the -hinge to body- mounts is 18 foot pounds (not very much all things considered). You shouldn't need to touch the hinge to hood bolts, but if you do, they're 80 *inch* pounds (very 'not much'). ;)

I recall some model of truck where the hinges would seize a bit and force the hood so bad the hood actually bent when someone would try to open or close it. I can't understand why yours would be tweaked as it is other than a slipped or seized hinge or maybe someone tried to lift the hood from that edge.

In any event, it should be curable without too much effort.

Gord :)

Hi JJSEA55.

The XLR hood hinges do not have the reputation to be defective, if the adjustments are fines it could be the hinge it self.
A unknow stress could have the levers of the hinge been bended.

The lower hinge lever is part of the inner fender structure and have the long adjustments holes for the up and down of the hood, a hood stopper is also part of this lever ( is it bend ? )

The upper level is bolt on the hood it self, the squares holes are for the front and back of the hood and are both hinged on rear of the hood that swing up and down for the maintenances.

If the stress happen, the levers could be bend and the hood could not close properly.

The purchase of a used fine hinge could be the solution, they are at a reasonable price on eBay.

Enclosed are the photos to help you in the search for the solution.

Good luck.

IAN. :wave:$_57[1] (2).jpgSans titre.png

Thank you for the information, Ian!

Update: Was able to loosen the two fender hinge bolts and push it down some, recapturing most of the elevation on that side. Looks much better and balanced now. Thanks for the input!

you should only adjust one bolt at a time. Loosen the rear first. then pick up on the hood .that will lower the rear. tighten it and then loosed th front. pick up on the hood that will raise the front of the hinge and lower the rear. loosening both at the same time will allow the whole hinge to drop and get it out of parallel with the other side plus may allow the hood to move forward or back making the gap at the front not even on bot hsides.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom