Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hose Leak - Need Part Number

vette100

Hi. I spent all day today replacing the Hydraulic Pump and Folding top control module in my 2004. Come to find out that one of the Hydraulic lines has a leak in it too.

I traced it back. It is line 43. Does anyone happen to know what part number that is so I can order one.

Thanks for your help.

GMPARTSDIRECT.com i was able to pull parts list but didn't correlate your reference #43 , maybe you can recognize the part from there picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hose you seek is for the right side rear deck lid cylinder to hydraulic pump manifold. It should be labeled as #43 at the manifold and 44 on the end that connects to the lift cylinder. The P/N is 8895780.

ttp://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/cadillac/xlr/88957090/2004-year/base-trim/4-6l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/motor-and-components-scat/?part_name=hose

If you haven't done so already, you should get an O-ring kit as well, since you have to disconnect all the hydraulic lines on the manifold during pump replacement. I wouldn't take any chances, and the service manual says to replace them for this procedure. The original O-rings are at least thirteen years old, since the Neiman Marcus Edition blew the world away in 2013.

As Onalaska says, the vendor above is a great resource - he sells upgraded hydraulic lines.

For those who may not be familiar with the folding top hydraulic lines, they're made of plastic, bending and flexing whenever the top is cycled . They're subject to chaffing if not routed properly, and fracturing just from the process of being flexed during normal operation. As they age, they become more brittle and if they break, (especially in the headliner) you're going to pay dearly for the subsequent repairs to the oil-soaked interior. Most leak detections don't occur until after it's too late, especially when the headliner is soaked. More of these failures are being reported.

If you're inclined to keep you XLR --and maybe even be buried in it, this is something to consider. . . Not the burial details, but replacing all of your hydraulic lines with the upgraded versions while they're available.

CC :wave:

To keep or not to keep?

The hose you seek is for the right side rear deck lid cylinder to hydraulic pump manifold. It should be labeled as #43 at the manifold and 44 on the end that connects to the lift cylinder. The P/N is 8895780.

ttp://www.gmpartsoutlet.net/cadillac/xlr/88957090/2004-year/base-trim/4-6l-v8-gas-engine/body-cat/motor-and-components-scat/?part_name=hose

If you haven't done so already, you should get an O-ring kit as well, since you have to disconnect all the hydraulic lines on the manifold during pump replacement. I wouldn't take any chances, and the service manual says to replace them for this procedure. The original O-rings are at least thirteen years old, since the Neiman Marcus Edition blew the world away in 2013.

As Onalaska says, the vendor above is a great resource - he sells upgraded hydraulic lines.

For those who may not be familiar with the folding top hydraulic lines, they're made of plastic, bending and flexing whenever the top is cycled . They're subject to chaffing if not routed properly, and fracturing just from the process of being flexed during normal operation. As they age, they become more brittle and if they break, (especially in the headliner) you're going to pay dearly for the subsequent repairs to the oil-soaked interior. Most leak detections don't occur until after it's too late, especially when the headliner is soaked. More of these failures are being reported.

If you're inclined to keep you XLR --and maybe even be buried in it, this is something to consider. . . Not the burial details, but replacing all of your hydraulic lines with the upgraded versions while they're available.

That is the big question, keep or not keep? I love the car and think I would be sick if I sold it and sick years later wishing I never sold it! But the whole disappearing parts issue is scary. Hey CC, you seem to be "content" no longer owning your XLR. When did you let yours go and any regrets or are you "content?

I am completely content after trading mine in Aug '15.

My current Cadillac is a luxurious car, with plenty of power, loads of amenities, and AWD for those times when I need it. While I considered keeping the XLR as a "toy" for sunny day drives, after looking at the big picture, I didn't want to deal with the hassle and expense of maintaining and insuring an "extra" car along with the two I presently own. It was time for new tires and shocks and there was no way I could justify the expense of throwing thousands of dollars (for pretty routine wear and tear parts) at a vehicle I really didn't need. With parts shortages becoming an issue, it was an easy choice. It's just a car, not something that defines me,--like Harleys & Vettes do to some people. I had a lot of fun driving it in CA year-round, but after six years of ownership, it was time to move on.

I'm still watching and waiting for Cadillac to build another cool car that I just, "have to have." I had hopes the CT6 would approach the mark, but it's pretty underwhelming after so much pre-production hype. It's nice -but not that nice. Sales numbers bear me out.

Cadillac has produced three stylish head-turners in the last decade: The XLR, the CTS-V coupe, and the ELR. They embody the Art & Science theme very well and are rolling advertisements for the brand. Anytime I see one of these at a light, I notice people craning their necks to get a better look; these models have that kind of presence. Place a white ATS, CTS, and CT6 parked end to end, and step back. They all look nearly identical from a distance - length notwithstanding. They aren't ugly, but they just don't have the emotional pull the three other cars I mentioned exert. As Cadillac goes more euro-centric and softens the lines of their models, their unique American design language is diminished.

Take a concept car like the Cien for example. That's an in-your-face testament to out-of-the-box design. Build it well, stock it full, and price it at $200k as a true halo car. It isn't meant to be sold to the masses -it's an advertising statement to show what's possible from a company that screams American innovation. Instead, Cadillac goes timid, afraid to sir up controversy, trying to fit in. They need to design their own niche, not try to borrow cues from others. Make other car manufacturers take notice and emulate what they do instead. Produce Cadillacs, (like the XLR) that make young people whisper to themselves, "Someday. . . " when they drive past are just not being built.

The CT6 (supposed to be the successor to the XTS) sold less than half the numbers of the XTS last month, and has yet to surpass it since it's introduction in March. Meanwhile, the XTS --due to be phased out, has been given an extension to at least 2020 with a major refresh coming. This is telling for a brand that is suffering an identity crisis. The total confusion regarding model naming conventions is just one example of this. We have an alphabet soup of alphanumeric names, but then there's the Escalade . . .

Deciding whether or not to keep your XLR is a personal decision only you can make. I don't make my decisions for expensive items based on emotion anymore, so it was easy to let go and move on. Others are totally guided by their emotional connection and I get that too. I'm not running a museum or want to spend my weekends tinkering (though I don't mind detailing and polishing one bit.) I've owned some cool cars over the years, but I have no regrets or longing for any of them. Each new car I drive brings more to the table in terms of features, comfort, and overall enjoyment. I'm an-in-the-moment kind of guy finally.

So I tried to do the next best thing by staying active in the community and helping out where I can. (This is really the only viable XLR site left now.) I get just as much satisfaction from helping XLR enthusiasts as I did from taking that last lingering peek at my XLR before the garage light was switched off, grateful to own one after waiting so long for the opportunity.

Years ago, (I'm dating myself here) I worked as a tech on a Texas Instruments home computer assembly line, fixing thousands of the things over the course of almost a year. I recently discovered a website devoted to this machine by users who are still fanatical about it. I offer advice for people trying to fix them and it's a lot of fun. I don't even own one of these systems anymore, but it's a chance to help out those that do. It's pretty humbling to have built something people are still so happy with after so long.

My long-winded point is, no matter what you decide to do with your car, you can still be connected with it even if there isn't one parked in your garage if you want, if just for the sake of nostalgia or a desire to help out. It's all good.

Last edited:
Thanks CC

I am completely content after trading mine in Aug '15.

My current Cadillac is a luxurious car, with plenty of power, loads of amenities, and AWD for those times when I need it. While I considered keeping the XLR as a "toy" for sunny day drives, after looking at the big picture, I didn't want to deal with the hassle and expense of maintaining and insuring an "extra" car along with the two I presently own. It was time for new tires and shocks and there was no way I could justify the expense of throwing thousands of dollars (for pretty routine wear and tear parts) at a vehicle I really didn't need. With parts shortages becoming an issue, it was an easy choice. It's just a car, not something that defines me,--like Harleys & Vettes do to some people. I had a lot of fun driving it in CA year-round, but after six years of ownership, it was time to move on.

I'm still watching and waiting for Cadillac to build another cool car that I just, "have to have." I had hopes the CT6 would approach the mark, but it's pretty underwhelming after so much pre-production hype. It's nice -but not that nice. Sales numbers bear me out.

Cadillac has produced three stylish head-turners in the last decade: The XLR, the CTS-V coupe, and the ELR. They embody the Art & Science theme very well and are rolling advertisements for the brand. Anytime I see one of these at a light, I notice people craning their necks to get a better look; these models have that kind of presence. Place a white ATS, CTS, and CT6 parked end to end, and step back. They all look nearly identical from a distance - length notwithstanding. They aren't ugly, but they just don't have the emotional pull the three other cars I mentioned exert. As Cadillac goes more euro-centric and softens the lines of their models, their unique American design language is diminished.

Take a concept car like the Cien for example. That's an in-your-face testament to out-of-the-box design. Build it well, stock it full, and price it at $200k as a true halo car. It isn't meant to be sold to the masses -it's an advertising statement to show what's possible from a company that screams American innovation. Instead, Cadillac goes timid, afraid to sir up controversy, trying to fit in. They need to design their own niche, not try to borrow cues from others. Make other car manufacturers take notice and emulate what they do instead. Produce Cadillacs, (like the XLR) that make young people whisper to themselves, "Someday. . . " when they drive past are just not being built.

The CT6 (supposed to be the successor to the XTS) sold less than half the numbers of the XTS last month, and has yet to surpass it since it's introduction in March. Meanwhile, the XTS --due to be phased out, has been given an extension to at least 2020 with a major refresh coming. This is telling for a brand that is suffering an identity crisis. The total confusion regarding model naming conventions is just one example of this. We have an alphabet soup of alphanumeric names, but then there's the Escalade . . .

Deciding whether or not to keep your XLR is a personal decision only you can make. I don't make my decisions for expensive items based on emotion anymore, so it was easy to let go and move on. Others are totally guided by their emotional connection and I get that too. I'm not running a museum or want to spend my weekends tinkering (though I don't mind detailing and polishing one bit.) I've owned some cool cars over the years, but I have no regrets or longing for any of them. Each new car I drive brings more to the table in terms of features, comfort, and overall enjoyment. I'm an-in-the-moment kind of guy finally.

So I tried to do the next best thing by staying active in the community and helping out where I can. (This is really the only viable XLR site left now.) I get just as much satisfaction from helping XLR enthusiasts as I did from taking that last lingering peek at my XLR before the garage light was switched off, grateful to own one after waiting so long for the opportunity.

Years ago, (I'm dating myself here) I worked as a tech on a Texas Instruments home computer assembly line, fixing thousands of the things over the course of almost a year. I recently discovered a website devoted to this machine by users who are still fanatical about it. I offer advice for people trying to fix them and it's a lot of fun. I don't even own one of these systems anymore, but it's a chance to help out those that do. It's pretty humbling to have built something people are still so happy with after so long.

My long-winded point is, no matter what you decide to do with your car, you can still be connected with it even if there isn't one parked in your garage if you want, if just for the sake of nostalgia or a desire to help out. It's all good.

CC, thank you for your candor on XLR ownership. It is nice to know that someone with such a passion for "our car" was able to keep it all in perspective. Your contributions to this site and it's members has been invaluable. With two kids approaching college, I am not certain how long I will be able to keep my X, but I love your attitude and perspective. I don't know a lot about our car, but I met a recent buyer and it felt good to give him some tips and tell him about this site. At this point I am hoping for two things: available driver side headlights and to one day buy you a beer! Thank you!

My thoughts about Crimson Pearl

Like everyone else here, we're very appreciative of the great wealth of knowledge that our fellow member CC shares with us here. It's just more proof of how much he appreciated his XLR.

But keep in mind, there was another factor that he said figured into the equation to sell his XLR. I seem to recall that he moved to an area that suffers with bad roads and he said that he just couldn't enjoy driving the XLR on those roads!

Now, from my point of view, I don't plan to ever sell my XLR. I thoroughly enjoy driving it and even just owning it. But where CC and I differ is I do develop an emotional connection to my favorite cars. Check my Garage. I have a 1966 GTO that I have owned for 44 years, a 1976 El Camino owned for 40 years, a 1977 FXE-1200 Super Glide owned for 39 years and my 1989 S-10 Cameo owned for 37 years.

Future parts availability for my XLR doesn't frighten me. I have assembled some parts that are more likely to be needed, but certainly not every potential part that could fail.

Here's the bottom line. Every XLR that dies will give life to others. Some will die so that others will live!

And as far as this issue of whether to sell it before the value tanks. I'm not worried. I buy things I like and plan to keep. I have already received a huge amount of enjoyment in owning and driving my XLR. Just like my GTO, El Camino and Harley, the XLR is a keeper! I don't want this to sound as bad as it probably does, but if it is reduced to a pretty object in my garage, I'm not going to be financially ruined. I have a spare pair of headlight assemblies and if tailights go bad, I believe I can find a solution that works for me.

Now, I have owned a series of Chevrolet Tahoes for business vehicles. I like my Tahoes and I put lots of miles on them. My current Tahoe, a 2008 model, has 214,000 miles on it. I'll probably drive it to 250 or 300 thousand. It still looks great and performs well. I keep it well-maintained and have complete confidence in it, but when I decide to replace it, I'll shed no tears and purchase a new one! That is completely different than my "keepers".

But my GTO, El Camino, FXE, Cameo and XLR aren't going anywhere. :(

And once again, thanks to CC for all his great help here on this forum!

Craptastic NE roads mined with potholes notwithstanding, my newer car rides really well (as long as I miss the potholes!) The question posed, was after selling, do I miss my XLR, which I answered.

I agree. Parts can always be found, (if you don't mind used ones) but the bigger question with regards to long-term XLR ownership is, Does one have the level of commitment to keeping a discontinued, highly complex car road-worthy? This is the question more and more owners are asking themselves, based on the number of PMs I receive regularly on the subject. Retaining long-term ownership of a modern automobile is a relatively new phenomena in a throw-away society where technology changes so fast, that obsolescence makes maintaining a relatively young vehicle a challenge many owners don't want to (or can't) deal with from multiple perspectives.

How many electronic modules does a GTO have? How difficult is it to troubleshoot a problem with an older motorcycle?

Due to the increasing complexity of modern cars, this factor must be taken into account for collectors, enthusiasts, and owners alike -especially with a low-volume production vehicle. Mechanical issues are relatively straightforward in terms of repair in a general sense, but the networked, electrical systems containing dozens of modules --as in the case of the XLR are a relatively new concept, requiring specialized knowledge and tools.

At a bare minimum, anyone wanting to keep the inter-related systems in an XLR operating for an extended period of time would be wise to invest in a set of shop manuals, and a Tech 2. They also need to acquire the knowledge to use both effectively. This excludes the vast majority of owners. As time goes on and the cars naturally exhibit more failures with age, the issue becomes more pronounced. Another consideration: Dealer support will not be getting better. Aftermarket support is minimal.

Would you recommend the XLR as a daily driver to someone who could only afford one car without telling them about this?

The XLR is, (and will become even more so) a car for owners passionate about automobiles, who don't mind having to work harder, (or smarter with the aid of this site) to keep them in tip-top shape, and have the financial resources to do so. Yup, money is another screen-out element for some, even if parts and support were in great abundance. These cars can be costly to keep running for even simple routine maintenance items.

Sites like this are invaluable and will become even more so in the years ahead, but the XLR is evolving into a collector-type vehicle requiring its owner to have a level of commitment to maintaining it way beyond that of your average driver, similar in passion like your GTO, but technically proficient in the ways of networked systems.

When I read reports of dealers performing expensive, unnecessary troubleshooting I can't help but wonder if they'll even be able or care to work on many aspects of these cars in the future.

Paying an independent shop unfamiliar with the car can be an expensive, hit-or-miss proposition. Again, sites like this will be a lifeline for those who choose to stick with their purchase and give the rest of us something to watch for on the roads.

CC

Last edited:
This is a relatively new phenomena in a throw-away society where technology changes so fast, that obsolescence makes maintaining a relatively young vehicle a challenge many owners don't want to deal with.
CC

This also hits the nail on the head for many new cars. For example, I have a CTS coupe, which has unique tail lights compared to the sedan - in fact everything from the A pillar back is unique to the car. It also has different suspension & gear ratio than the sedans. I can see all of those things being a XLR-type issue for anyone who wants to hang on to a CTS coupe, even though more coupes were made than XLR's. Perhaps fortunately I intend to drive the CTS until "the doors fall off," & given my annual mileage on it the car won't be that old when that happens.

The discussions on here about tail lights have also made me think about the folks with CTS wagons having to hunt up THOSE tail lights in the future. . .

At the same time I have the probably insane hope that, maybe as an offshoot of the tuner market, over time someone will at least be interested in developing the expertise to keep the older electronics in cars sorted out & working. Doubtful, but still hopeful.

Great points. The CTS wagon tail light issue points directly back to the design engineers. It's a shame to see so many owners with the identical problem having to employ Band-Aid fixes to compensate. It wouldn't matter how many of those lights are stocked, the design is fundamentally flawed.

Where lower production numbers are concerned, GM appears to turn a blind eye to the consumers who spend a lot of money to buy them after the warranty period is up. While it's a crap shoot to reliably predict how many spares to stock for any given model, it's an even bigger gamble for owners to risk being left with nowhere to turn after the warranty periods expire. This concept is overlooked by the majority of us when buying a new (or newer) car, but in cases where it happens, can really put a damper on the ownership experience. I predict ELR owners will be screaming in a few years.

Last edited:
How many electronic modules does a GTO have?

How difficult is it to troubleshoot a problem with an older motorcycle?

Would you recommend the XLR as a daily driver to someone who could only afford one car without telling them about this?

CC

As usual, you have made excellent points.

Let me address these three.

My GTO has one electronic module, exactly one more than it came with from the factory (it has a breakerless ignition module instead of points).

Not very difficult.

And now the real issue.

NO. I would NOT recommend a XLR as a daily driver, even when new. It's a seriously impractical car for a daily driver. Only seats two, tiny trunk if you wish to keep open the option to put the top down, low ground clearance requires constant vigilance to avoid a curb disaster, small size tends to encourage "bullying" by larger vehicles and it sits too low to use most drive-thru facilities.

Most of the XLRs on the market now have had multiple owners and experienced who knows what kind of problems. Availabilty of certified XLR techs is diminishing as well.

BUT, for nice days and special trips, it's wonderful!

My XLR is still very low mileage and I drive it only when it suits me. I still have access to a very experienced certified XLR technician at the dealership where it was sold new.

I also think that every modification made to an XLR increases your odds of having a problem with it.

But I am so fond of my XLR that I am going to keep it and deal with whatever issues arise as time goes on.

BTW, I can't believe that Cadillac is the only manufacturer that has left its customers "in the lurch". There must be lots of other cars from other manufacturers that are experiencing these same issues, it's just that I don't own one of them!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom