Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! How do I remove the battery?

adambravo

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black/Cashmere XLR
So... retrieved my 2007 XLR from storage only to find the battery completely dead. I had an Aukey charge pack which got the car going--but the subsequent drive home and plug-in trickle charger seemed to indicate the battery would no longer hold a charge. Got the cables disconnected--but how do I actually get the battery out of the car? There appears to be a foam rubber 'envelope' surrounding it, but nothing to grab onto. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Adam

I just replaced my battery and you need to remove the engine cover, remove the battery hold down clamp a lift the battery up and over the engine carefully. Remove the insulator from the battery and install on new battery and reverse the procedure.

I just replaced my battery and you need to remove the engine cover, remove the battery hold down clamp a lift the battery up and over the engine carefully. Remove the insulator from the battery and install on new battery and reverse the procedure.

Got the engine cover off. Where is the battery hold down clamp? I spotted this in front of the battery—is this it?
d8187ceec76b6d907bd6ea325fd2a684.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes and there is a black plastic wedge to remove. Don't forget to re index your windows afterwards info is in the owners manual.

For future viewers: There is no need to remove the engine cover as mentioned in this thread. Just disconnect the cables, loosen the battery hold down clamp, remove/replace/reconnect the battery....and tighten down the hold-down clamp. The engine cover has nothing to do with this procedure.

Agreed. But, at least I learned how to remove the engine cover if needed...

I suggested removing the engine cover so it wouldn't get scratched up or damaged.

You're WAY more likely to scratch or damage the engine cover removing it unnecessarily than leaving it on when swapping out the battery. I would be SHOCKED if anyone in the history of putting new batteries in an XLR ever damaged their engine cover as a result.

I've replaced many, many batteries in my lifetime including the XLR. Don't see a need to remove the engine cover. Lift the battery straight up, then once it's out, bring it out over the engine compartment to the front of the car. I shortcutted when I did mine, just brought it out over the fender. (I had a towel covering the fender). Even all thumbs can do it

So... retrieved my 2007 XLR from storage only to find the battery completely dead. I had an Aukey charge pack which got the car going--but the subsequent drive home and plug-in trickle charger seemed to indicate the battery would no longer hold a charge. Got the cables disconnected--but how do I actually get the battery out of the car? There appears to be a foam rubber 'envelope' surrounding it, but nothing to grab onto. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Adam

Hi I just changed out my Delco Battery which I advise you buy at the local Cadillac Store at under $200.
Remove the two leads.tape them out of the way and center front of battery at bottom of the tray
13 mm bolt for the hold down spacer remove that bolt and carefully pull it up not to drop it. Once that’s done carefully pull battery up and out.reinstall the new one ...first thing you do is position the battery in tray drop carefully the nylon spacer hold down block and deftly lower the bolt in the block hole and tighten ...put red lead on not using the felt o rings supplied with the new battery repeat the black lead and do not touch the wrench to metal[emoji106]

Last edited:
Thanks! Bonus question—any idea what size bolt that is?

The trick is get the 10mm bolt back in the poly
hold down Bloch and threaded into the hole on the tray....I used that black sticky putty to hold the bolt in the socket otherwise your pulling the battery back out....

Any idea how to change a Flashlight Battery? I bet you guys could make a movie out of it! :rolleyes:

Ridicule is not a part of the culture that we really need on this forum. We have several folks who just simply enjoy owning their XLR and several are looking for assistance from fellow owners. I was privileged to know several folks who started this forum and were original owners. The type of ridicule this post and others this poster has posted like it simply has no place here. I expect this person is on here to pick a fight with anyone who stands up to him. I would ask Pure Zen to hang in there. For me, I am blocking Mr./Ms. tloukatis so I don’t have to see his posts any longer. I would encourage others to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back