Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! How do you check the top hydraulic fluid level?

hdduane

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven XLR
Today when I put my top down I heard groaning sounds and again my top groaned when I put it up. I checked my owners manual and can not find any information about fluid levels or where to check. I was able to find what kind of fluid to use here on the forum, but nothing about how or where to check the fluid level. So where do I start? :dunno:

This is one of the easiest XLR checks.

1. Raise the Rear Decklid and remove the left/rear cover over the module bay (under the carpet.)
2. There are two marks (Min/Max) on the hydraulic reservoir that sits on top of the pump. The hydraulic fluid level should be between them.

CCC :wave:

Duane,
There should be something that looks like this in your trunk in the hidden compartment on the drivers side. You have to lift the carpet and remove the cover. You can see on this picture that there is a min-max lines on the reservoir. There is a removable cap. Do not over fill.
ba5d2e63b9c0f6f9a8fc3ff1d4208ea9.jpg

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just went out to the garage to check my retractable top fluid level and it wasn't empty but it was way low so I will get some fluid and fill it tomorrow. Thanks for the help. :wave:

What brand of fluid is used to refill? :dunno:

According to the information here on xlr-net, it takes fluid GM #89022748. And according to information that I found on gmpartseast.com the number may have changed to 88865214. :cool:

According to the information here on xlr-net, it takes fluid GM #89022748. And according to information that I found on gmpartseast.com the number may have changed to 88865214. :cool:

I have not looked at gmpartsdirect.com for the fluid so if they don't have it I guess it's a trip to the dealer's part counter and big $$$$$.

Thank a lot for the info. My system is fine and the fluid level it between the full and min so I'm good to go for not. One of these days I'm going to suck out as much of the fluid and I can and change it out with new fluid as we do with out break fluid. It can't hurt. :squint: Again, thanks for the info.

I looked the changed part number up on gmpartsdirect that it's a buck cheaper than at gmpartseast. I added the parts east to my bookmarks, that's a new site for XLR parts for me. I never heard of it before. Thanks a lot!!

Last edited:
There was no fluid at any GM dealer in Tucson, so the Chevy Dealer got a bottle sent down from Phoenix. The number has changed, it is 88865214 now. It is pricy thru the dealer it was $46.70 + tax. I went ahead and got it from the dealer because I wanted it now. I could have got it for under $30 online. Its probably a good idea to get some and put it on the shelf before you need it. :blinzel:
CAM00249.jpg

Now I can use my top again. :cool:

Last edited:
Yea, no more groans when putting the top down or back up. :cool: Since I had plenty of fluid and since I was already filling the retractable tops fluid reservoir, I decided that MarkSki had a great idea to change the tops hydraulic fluid. So I got out my vacuum brake fluid bleeder and sucked all the fluid that I could get out of the reservoir and replaced it with new hydraulic fluid. Then I properly disposed of the old fluid. :cool:

CAM00253.jpg

Last edited:
Additional info needed

I just started to have a problem with my top and it went down hill very fast. I have no doubt that I need fluid, being that with trunk open I can smell the Hydraulic fluid. My question , Is there a common part that has been know to have issues, or is there a point to start my search?? Thanks

You might be best served by starting a new thread about your Folding Top problem, then cutting and pasting your info there.

Without much to go on symptom-wise other than a smell, it's tough to ascertain what's ailing your top.

Have you visually checked your fluid level? If it's low, it had to go somewhere, since it's a closed hydraulic system.

If it is low, pray it isn't pooling up in your headliner from a broken line to the header latch. That would be bad. It could also be leaking into the pump. That would be worse.

Report back with more info and someone might be able to add more, like what works and what doesn't; that's the best way to help diagnose any problem.

CC :wave:

If you can smell the hydraulic fluid do a quick visual and see if can see were it is leaking, if you can't see a leak anywhere then feel around to see if you get the fluid on your hand. Then you will have a place to start. If you get hydraulic fluid on your hands wash it off your skin ASAP (it's not good for your hands). Also try and not get it on any painted surfaces or or on any other surfaces either. Good luck. :wave:

I haven't had time today to check car closer, that's set for tomorrow...... Top got slower, motor started making noise sounded like it was running dry, I had to help push into position. I noticed the smell right away. The hydraulic fluid has hazard material shipping charges added to the cost....But I have to check for myself before I call the dealer and make an service appointment, glad I sprung for the extended service plan.....I will update after I check further..

Update.....Oil level was low, Not only is the hydraulic oil pricey, its pretty darn hard to find locally and takes an estimated 2 weeks when ordered. (recommend having some on hand)...... Found small leak at right roof line, serviced reservoir and monitoring dont want to bring in right away for repair, weather finally got nice

Question: what's the best way/how to check for leaks into the headliner? Among other things I don't think a dump of hydraulic fluid on my head would help my appearance much.

Just concerned if if someone is having this happen with an '09, my '06 might be due for a problem.

(to be honest this may be elsewhere on the forum & I'm admittedly being lazy & not doing a search).

I found moisture not a drip back of roof line above window, can only see with top in a half way position. It seems to be where the plastic tubing goes into a fitting.....Your right well worth a quick look to see if similar problem

Your pump may be making noise because there's air in the system. If you're still trying to operate the Folding Top, I would advise against it until the headliner is removed and the full extent of the problem is determined. Leaks don't go away by themselves.

The hydraulic lines that route to the roof operate the header latch. (This is what keeps the top from flying off.) Even though there's a switch to verify the latch is closed, I would double-check and manually ensure it is fully latched (this is covered in the owner's manual) before driving the car.

Top it off by removing the threaded cap screw in the top of the hydraulic reservoir.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back