Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

How well does the wind restrictor work?

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
I made a wind restrictor for the Allante and it worked great. At 55 mph your hair didn't move. Is the wind restrictor for the XLR that good because if it is I will get me one.

To be fair, no it is not that good, but the best thing that's quality made out there. I wanted to talk to Steven of WR about extending the length to go beyond the roll bars but haven't had a chance. I realized that the wind is coming in on the outer edges by temporally adding a piece of metal on each side at the same height. Don't misread this, his WR does a good job but could be improved on.
I made a wind restrictor for the Allante and it worked great. At 55 mph your hair didn't move. Is the wind restrictor for the XLR that good because if it is I will get me one.

I second that. I'd say the WR cuts the turbulence about 50%. Could it do better? Maybe. But it's much better than without and good enough for my needs.

CC :)

I have the Wind Screen, mesh, that I bought from my Cadillac Dealer and it works great. I like the looks of it and also the fact my hair isn't blowing in my face when I drive with the top down. First Robin

I have the Wind Screen, mesh, that I bought from my Cadillac Dealer and it works great. I like the looks of it and also the fact my hair isn't blowing in my face when I drive with the top down. First Robin
I saw one of those also, I like the looks more than the plexi unit, also pricey though. Another benefit is it is easily removed.
Cadillac P/N 19153868 (I believe)
Bruce (not the tech)

Not only is it easy to remove, it comes with a very nice bag to store it in when it is folded up. Goes on and off real quick, it is held in place with velcro closures. I like mine, the price was just a little over $500.00. First Robin

Could you post a picture with this mesh Wind Screen in place... I haven't seen one - the only one I've seen is the plexi unit by Wind Restrictor.

Wonderful input everyone. We always suggest people search around and weigh out all of your options. That's the wonderful thing about the marketplace! :patriot:
You guys make a very unique and pretty product. Any chance of making a quick release version, easy to remove when the top is up?
Bruce

Come on know Prez, why would you want to keep taking it off and putting it on if you can see through it. I'm gonna talk to Hillary about this.:laugh:
Not only is it easy to remove, it comes with a very nice bag to store it in when it is folded up. Goes on and off real quick, it is held in place with velcro closures. I like mine, the price was just a little over $500.00. First Robin

oooooooh, there's that nasty wart again, but the WR looks good.
Thank you! Our product can be left in place when the top is up. That was the reasoning behind keeping the curvature close to the roll bars, not to mention aestetic value.

Sampleofquality1.jpg

Wonderful input everyone. We always suggest people search around and weigh out all of your options.

I found this site reviewing windscreens for a lot of different convertibles, including the XLR, which may be helpful, though I don't see the Wind Restrictor version reviewed there yet. Perhaps some owners of this windscreen should submit reviews so it can get ranked? For me, I purchased a XLR Windscreen from Windblox about two years ago, and it's been working out great.

WIND RESTRICTOR

I GOT MINE TO DAY AND INSTALLED IT ,MADE MINE WITH THE BLOCK "O" FOR OHIO STATE.. LOOKS GOOOOOD !! AND LIKE IT'S NAME IT'S A WIND RESTRICTOR ,NOT BLOCKER... I THINK IT'S NOT WIDER SO YOU CAN PUT THE TOP UP AND NOT HIT THE SIDE WINDOWS WHEN THEY FOLD IN.... DID I SAY IT SURE LOOKS GOOOOOOD !! :cool:

I got my wind restrictor installed and I love it. As stated by others it it a wind restrictor not blocker but I believe that is just the XLR design and nothing would block it. My BMW wind screen blocks all the wind but that is just a different car. The wind restrictor takes the wind from what I would call unbearable to bearable. The good news is that it is just absolutely beautiful. I would buy it just for the looks alone not to mention it does cut the wind by 50 to 60 percent. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has an XLR.

Mesh vs Plexiglass Wind Restrictor

I have tried both the factory mesh and the plexiglass wind restrictors. Can't detect much difference in the amount of wind blockage. However, I personallly like the looks of the plexiglass unit. So, I have the factory mesh one for sale. It cost about $650; will sell for $400. Used it 3 or 4 times with the top down.

CAPT AM 256-313-8735

With the hard top up, and the wind restricter in place, is there a visibility problem at night. For instance glare or a halo effect due to light passing through the rear window and then the wind restrictor (or other plexiglass wind blocker)?

durkin:
Oncoming headlights at night are not a problem. I have grade 30 tint on the rear window, but I don't think it has any affect on the restriction of a possible glare problem. However, during the daytime, the restrictor does reflect objects in front of me in the lower part of the rear view mirrow. This is somewhat confusing when glancing into the mirrow; you have to figure out what is behind you and what is in front. Also, backing up is a problem. So many images are coming through the restrictor, you have to be real cautious about what is/is not behind you. I actually have to rely on my side mirrows more than looking out the rear through the restrictor when reversing. It's kind of tricky in parking lots. I try to park far away from everybody, but cars moving around behind are sometimes an issue.
The good part: It does the job of cutting down backdraft by at least 50% and looks very good.
capt am

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back