Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HRE 543R: Testing clearances on 2007 XLR

Racking up some good miles on the XLR, so I haven't gotten around to installing the C6 brakes.

photo_1-15.JPG

Oh yeah, this is how I gas up my XLR w/o issues at the pump. Just stop once the nozzle stops pumping (no top off).:mad:

photo_5_9.JPG

On the way to work some guys in a BMW was starring really hard at my ride when I was at the red light. I must say that our XLR's really shine even at night.:chuckle

Strange that I purchase a set of rear 275/30/19 for the work car since the OEM is 205 (I was never the kind of guy who likes stock). I then I placed the wheel next the XLR's 275/35/19 wheel and tires. Boy, is there a big difference.
photo_1-8.JPG

photo_2-7.JPG

photo_3-5.JPG

:D

2_16.JPG

photo_2-321.JPG

I've been driving the XLR and enjoying every moment. It's been raining here in CA off and on, but I take the car for a spin during the sunny days. Gotta love the HRE chrome lips. No issue with trying to polish them.:D

Beautiful April showers don't bother me a bit for I took my XLR out this week and enjoy every minute I had it out on the road.:D The car received several stares and one onlookers at the light had to roll down his window totake a peek while another gentleman at a restaurant parked his truck came over and talk to me for 15 minutes while my food was getting cold.:lol:

Last edited:
I got my second oil change since owning the car. Mobile one synthetic oil was on sale at AutoZone Plus the mobile one oil filter so I got that and save myself about 60 bucks. The oil change was only $36 labor (since I have my own parts).

photo_3-28.JPG

:wave:

It was 70 today here in PA so I got my 2nd top down driving in of the spring season! It was only 55 on Sunday when I left a local car show the top was down for the show so I braved out with the windows up and it was a bit nippy from the northern breeze!
But we are getting there 70's this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Lately, I've been experiencing low tire pressure on the left rear tire, so since I needed a wheel alignment I had them check the tire. After dumping the wheel in a tire tub it was found that the valve stem that is attached at the inner barrel was leaking. The shop fixed it for free and my alignment was only $99.95 using the newer Hunter Alignment system.

The Hunter system is "touchless" and just like the name applies there's no contact with lip of the rim.:D I initially, saw this system several years back while attending a SEMA show in NV. The device attaches itselft to the "tire" and not between the rim's lip and tire. The old system would normally make me "scream bloody murder" in the pass.:bash: I've had several set of wheels replaced because the tire shop screwed up and damaged my wheels.:mad:

I haven't been on the freeways yet, but so far I'm liking how the XLR rolls down the road. I should've gotten this done right after I purchased the new PZero's but now that I'm driving the car more it was starting to become evident that I needed the alignment done! It's about $30 bucks more than the usual alignment, but I'm okay with it. :)

I should have a few pictures of the process in a little bit.

Last edited:
IMG_5118.jpg

touch less system.:blinzel:

IMG_5120.jpg

Specs Before alignment. They gave me a readout after the alignment but I did take a picture. However the car rolls great now:D

On the way back to the Bay I suddenly needed to do some quick manuvering on the hwy as I was about to pass a big rig truck. As I was on the gas getting in the passing lane there sitting on the painted line was huge chunks of streaded tires and boy did my XLR perform flawlessly.:rocker: The wheel alignment and those wide 275's on all corners gripped the road perfectly as I wipped back into my lane and once I passed the mess on the road I wipped back to the passing lane ( I need to install that video camera that I bought several months ago:rolleyes:). Anyway, I don't know if the person in the Lexus was on alert, but all was well.:D

I find it strange that I had just stopped by GM to get the price on a XLRV rear sway bar thinking to myself I might need one of those someday. I tried talking to D3 about their rear sway bar, but I guess they don't want my money.:dunno: I got a print out for the parts, but after looking at it I think something is missing?

#15806422 for shaft
#10317550 insulator
#25933420 clamp
#11515775 bolt

It's my guess, but I don't see the sway bar on the list he gave me unless the shaft is the swaybar.:dunno: I also asked about the exhaust tips from the 2009 Platinum, but the parts guy told me I would have to purchase the entire exhaust system.:ugh: Moving on I asked about the front and rear 2009 fascia. They have them in stock and it will take at least 6-days. Anyway, after all was added up the total was $3,718.91 (that's including the front and rear fascia's).:willy_nilly:I may have to gets these items in stages for I do want the fascias.:rocker:

I've always said that my V could change lanes without touching the ground. I had to do a similar move and my passenger said, "what just happened?".
I was contemplating cutting my hood and installing a heat extractor & stopped into to Chevrolet to find out how much the heat extractor on the hood of some new Camero's was. Quote was $4,302.22. I told him I could buy a new supercharger for that and told him I didn't want the hood, I just wanted the two pieces that snapped together from each side of the hood after cutting the hole and he insisted that was the price and even agreed with me that the price was ridicules. So much for that idea.
I too was looking to put the front fascia on but after checking close ups of both cars, I don't believe it would work. I could be wrong.
My second warranty just ran out on my 06-V & I'm having a tough time trying to buy a new car and letting this one go. My big concern is the cost of repairs, especially if it involves the top. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. I didn't love my x wives as much as this car. I still have people ask me what month this car came out & what is it? It is de-badged except for the V badges and supercharged badge which is on the hood cowling were it belongs.:dunno:

Last edited:
I've always said that my V could change lanes without touching the ground. I had to do a similar move and my passenger said, "what just happened?".
I was contemplating cutting my hood and installing a heat extractor & stopped into to Chevrolet to find out how much the heat extractor on the hood of some new Camero's was. Quote was $4,302.22. I told him I could buy a new supercharger for that and told him I didn't want the hood, I just wanted the two pieces that snapped together from each side of the hood after cutting the hole and he insisted that was the price and even agreed with me that the price was ridicules. So much for that idea.
I too was looking to put the front fascia on but after checking close ups of both cars, I don't believe it would work. I could be wrong.
My second warranty just ran out on my 06-V & I'm having a tough time trying to buy a new car and letting this one go. My big concern is the cost of repairs, especially if it involves the top. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. I didn't love my x wives as much as this car. I still have people ask me what month this car came out & what is it? It is de-badged except for the V badges and supercharged badge which is on the hood cowling were it belongs.:dunno:

Yeah, I hear you. A lady wanted to buy my XLR the other day and her husband asked me several weeks ago.:cool: If I'm crazy enough to purchase wheels seven years before I bought the car, you know I'm not letting go the XLR any time soon.;)

I too stopped by a local dealership to lay my eyes upon the new Corvette. I saw the new hood scoop and side vents. Nice. I didn't ask how much the vent was, but if it's 4k they're crazy!:willy_nilly: At that price you'd think it was made of carbon fiber or laced with gold. :confused:

photo_1-19.JPG

photo_3-12.JPG

Also, GM must have serious aligmnent issues. The body panels don't line up and for the cost of 60k you'd think they'd have everthing up to snuff.

photo_2-18.JPG

This is just one example, but it's happening. I stopped by a Cadillac show room and all body panels lined up (as they should be:D).

I've been racking up plenty of miles on the XLR lately. The weather is great and summer is here and the PZero tires are excellent!:blinzel: The 275s on all corners hugs the corners and the tire wear isn't bad and in the future I will stay with same brand and size. Those boney stock Michelins provided me no grip and the sound level is same as the Pzeros. As for visuals the wheel/tire combo compliments the XLR giving it a sporty look without trying too hard.

Last week I was getting some gas as I walked in to pay and coming back to the pump a young guy in his twenties was looking for the owner of the XLR. He had the same look in his eyes as I once had before I got my XLR. I do find it odd that this wasn't the color I really wanted at first for I wanted a XLRV in black, but looking back on it I made the right decision. Granted, I'd take a Infared in a V too.;)

In other news I did have a minor issue with the tire pressure on the rear left tire. Appearently, the valve stem were it attaches to the rim wasn't tightened creating a slow leak. That problem was addressed while getting a tire alignment and fixed for free. :) I canceled my XM radio, but I might get reconnected since summer is back. I still need to install those C6 brakes, but I need to send them off to a shop and have the "Cadillac" logo powdered on the caliper. I decided to go with black w/white lettering. I searched the internet looking for high end cars with a similar color and I found a burgundy Austin Martin with black calipers with the Austin Martin lettering in white. :cool:

Beware of Crazy drivers!

I forgot something! :lol: Yesterday, while on my way to work a driver in a silver VW decided going over a double yellow line was a okay thing to do.:confused: If it wasn't for me being on defensive driver this person would've hit me head on. I'm not sure if the driver was texting or falling asleep at the wheel, but it was clear to me that the driver wasn't paying attention to the road!:mad: I was slighly to the right of the road trying to prevent a head-on collision. Oh yeah, another person thought it was okay to illegally pass on the left of a SUV driver whom was stuck in snail traffic. The driver of the SUV wave me out so as to allow me to enter the road. This dude in the other car decides he doesn't want to wait so he passes her on left because (in his mind) moving in a "snail pace" traffic it's more important to get the jump on the car in front of you.:mad: The driver of the SUV and I just looked on in disbelief.:dunno:

Last edited:
Here in OrEgun, 99% of the drivers on a 2 lane road, taking a left corner are ALWays on you sie of the road. Not only over the line but taking 1/2 of your left side of your lane. Makes the seat of your pants tighten up!

I wish we could flash our hi beams when our lights are off like I can in my F250 and our smart car. (the smart is a trip) :chuckle

Does Andy Pilgrim's Caddy have launch control? :dunno:

Also, GM must have serious aligmnent issues. The body panels don't line up and for the cost of 60k you'd think they'd have everthing up to snuff.

One of the Corvette forums has an entire thread of C7 problems & body panel alignment is one of the top complaints. Another is that the nav system & electronics are completely fritzy. Kind of sounds like the first couple of years on the XLR on the electronics stuff ... standard deal, probably going to take them a couple of model years to get the bugs worked out.

Here in OrEgun, 99% of the drivers on a 2 lane road, taking a left corner are ALWays on you sie of the road. Not only over the line but taking 1/2 of your left side of your lane. Makes the seat of your pants tighten up!

I wish we could flash our hi beams when our lights are off like I can in my F250 and our smart car. (the smart is a trip) :chuckle

Does Andy Pilgrim's Caddy have launch control? :dunno:

Just a couple of thoughts: 1) your '04 might benefit from your routinely running w/ the headlights on anyway (see DRL problems); 2) My light platinum is almost the same color as old, faded asphalt. Doesn't sound very good, but my car is camouflaged on an old road. I run with my headlights on all the time on these 2-lane roads, just so the oncoming cars can even see me. Couple that with how low we are, and it's tough to pick us up a couple of hundred yards down the road. Your car may be a little like that, too. :dunno:

FWIW

Tim

Maya 20's - for comparison

A slight modifications.:chuckle We're going with; 19x10 (f) and 20x10 (r) using a 2" outer lip for the fronts. I've spoken to HRE on Tuesday and directed Vince to our forum for visuals. After reviewing the pics-it's a go! The tire sizes are; 285/35/19 front and 285/35/20 (r) using run flats. My reasons for the change was simple, "The visuals." The comfort level will no doubt change, but if a Corvette can run with 275/35/19, so can I. Beside, it's not like I had too many options using the 19/20 wheel combo and since I've seen countless BMW and SL500 with smaller tires I think mine will be less harsher on the car.

Here's visual comparison from the back.
32627_.jpg

18x8, 235/50/18

32626_.jpg

20x11, 285/30/20

32651_.jpg

I have a staggered set of Maya 3 piece 20's on my 2005 - 9" on front and 10" on back. The tires are Falken Azenis (Z rated) = 245-40 front and 275-35 back. They fill up the wheel wells pretty good. I did have to lift the rear a bit to keep from fender rub (inner and outer) - the rears are 12% taller than the stock tires - required speedo recalibration (so did my rear end gear ratio swap to 3.42).

IMAG0281.jpg
IMAG0282.jpg

Believe it or not, these rims were installed by the dealer at delivery in 2005 (Lund Cadillac - Phoenix) for a $9K premium! The tires have been replaced and are almost new (I have ~40K miles on the car now).

You wanted side photos (in another thread about the 3.42 gear ratio swap) - so here you go - in the wheels and tires section...

Let me know if you want additional details about offset or shots that show the tires relative to the fender (like your pictures).

I have a staggered set of Maya 3 piece 20's on my 2005 - 9" on front and 10" on back. The tires are Falken Azenis (Z rated) = 245-40 front and 275-35 back. They fill up the wheel wells pretty good. I did have to lift the rear a bit to keep from fender rub (inner and outer) - the rears are 12% taller than the stock tires - required speedo recalibration (so did my rear end gear ratio swap to 3.42).

View attachment 4246View attachment 4247

Believe it or not, these rims were installed by the dealer at delivery in 2005 (Lund Cadillac - Phoenix) for a $9K premium! The tires have been replaced and are almost new (I have ~40K miles on the car now).

You wanted side photos (in another thread about the 3.42 gear ratio swap) - so here you go - in the wheels and tires section...

Let me know if you want additional details about offset or shots that show the tires relative to the fender (like your pictures).

I like the red painted calipers that are on your car. How much did those cost to do?

Red Calipers

I like the red painted calipers that are on your car. How much did those cost to do?

You may laugh, but I did them myself, while doing a brake job. I used a kit by Dupli-color, Caliper Paint Kit (ceramic). The kit includes the cleaner, a small brush, masking tape and enough paint for more than 4 calipers. It comes in several colors. The kit is about $20. The paint is slow to dry, so you have to be patient (overnight). I also painted the outer brackets with the "chrome" paint, just to help set it off.

It took several hours to thoroughly clean and mask each one. I was able to "cut in" the paint around the XLR logo. I polished the XLR logo with my Dremel tool, to make them shiny.

I know some people send them out for powder coat, but that requires disassembly and bleeding (and more time). I was too lazy...;)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom