Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HVAC Blower Not Working After Car Wash

Coop

My XLR/V(s)
2009 XLR Jewel Red
HELP! I ran my car through a car wash today and immediately smelled an electrical burning smell and the HVAC blower stopped working. Fuses look ok and the compressor still kicks on but no air blows. Where do I begin? I'm assuming water somehow got to the resistor and knocked it out. I don't know where it's located or how to get to it. GM Parts direct says there is no resistor. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Which "resistor" are you referring to?

CC :wave:

I don't know which resistor. I came to that conclusion through a google search, but GM Parts Direct says there isn't a resistor in the XLR blower.

Your HVAC troubleshooting options are few. If the Controller (aka "The CJ2 Control Head") is illuminated, power is present, which is always the first thing to verify. The temperature sensors control airflow to each zone, and wouldn't affect the blower motor in manual mode.

Since the fault is localized to the blower, the first step is to run Diagnostics with a Tech 2, then command the blower motor in all six speeds, while monitoring the Tech 2 to ensure the command is being acknowledged by the HVAC Controller. If not, after inspecting connectors and harnesses, the blower motor, followed by the HVAC module is replaced.

You can take it to a dealer -where they'll perform the above or replace it yourself using any one of many online retailers which offer substantial discounts.

Since you smelled carbon being liberated, I'd perform a thorough visual inspection starting with the BCM under the passenger toe board very carefully, and continue inspecting from there. Your symptoms point to a short somewhere. Your eyes (and nose) are often more valuable (and cheaper!) than a diagnostic tool for this type of problem. You cannot use too much light while performing a visual inspection.

Good luck,

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Sounds like it's not going to be an easy diagnosis. The controller powers up fine and I can hear the a/c compressor kick on, but no air blows. Hoping for the best!

Blower Motor Replacement Procedure?

Does anyone have the procedure for replacing the blower motor? Thank you in advance!

I'm on vacation in the middle of Nowhere, and the only amenities happen to be Wi-Fi and mass quantities of beer. If no one steps up with a procedure (hint, hint) I'll respond with something next weekend.

CCC :wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back