Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

I have white exhaust when I start my car

Bylander

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Passion Red XLR
About 1 out of 8 times when I start my car I get a lot of white exhaust coming out. Car runs fine should I be concerned?

are you sure its white and not blueish white? pure white is usually moisture . Could be a leaking coolant line into the intake manifold or could be something worse like a head gasket .HAs the car ever been run hot? if nto it may be a an oil leak due to valve seals. It would have a blueish tint. The reason it may not do it all the time is due to what position the engine stops at when shut off. There is a simple test you can have done to see if you are getting combustion into the coolant .Might want to check it out to be safe.

Definitely check for the cylinder leak, but could it be condensate. How often do you drive the car and is it for short distances? Could you leave it at a repair shop overnight and have them start it to get their advice. It shouldn't cost anything for an estimate.

Definitely check for the cylinder leak, but could it be condensate. How often do you drive the car and is it for short distances? Could you leave it at a repair shop overnight and have them start it to get their advice. It shouldn't cost anything for an estimate.
I only drive it about 3 times a week and they are normally just short drive to the store or work. Its diffidently white smoke and quite a lot. It dissipates within a minute than fine. Just a little embarrassing. My car has approx. 35,000 miles on it and has been doing it since I first got it 3 years ago. It will occur regardless if a hot day or cold but only one of of 8 times. Thanks

Sorry to say it sounds a whole lot like a head gasket issue. After running the car to temp the cooling system is under pressure. When you shut off the car the coolant remains under pressure while cooling off. That is when you can get coolant into the cyl, showing as white smoke when you next start it. Suggest you try a block tester kit. they are cheap ($30). Comes with blue fluid that turns green-yellow during the test if exhaust gas is detected in the coolant. A Compression test of all cyls would be next to see if you can isolate the breech if you fail the block test. Here is a pic of the block test kit with blue fluid I am talking about.
1632760404002.png

Last edited:
Sorry to say it sounds a whole lot like a head gasket issue. After running the car to temp the cooling system is under pressure. When you shut off the car the coolant remains under pressure while cooling off. That is when you can get coolant into the cyl, showing as white smoke when you next start it. Suggest you try a block tester kit. they are cheap ($30). Comes with blue fluid that turns green-yellow during the test if exhaust gas is detected in the coolant. A Compression test of all cyls would be next to see if you can isolate the breech if you fail the block test. Here is a pic of the block test kit with blue fluid I am talking about.
View attachment 14145
I did as you suggested and got the equipment from AutoZone. The reagent cost me $10.00 and they will actually provide the tool at no cost. The test came back negative and the fluid stayed blue. When I did the test the coolant level was about an inch down but I can't say where it had been in the past.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom