Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

I think I know what's causing that "clunk" in the front end now..

HOMEGAMEROOM

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Light Platinum, President, "Midwest Marauders"
I'm heading to my friends familys house last night, so I go and pick up some ice cream for dessert. (I have this long introduction so you know I wasn't driving like a "Club" member) Upon leaving the grocery store, I hear a "THUNK" and suddenly the car isn't tracking very well. I pull in to the nearest parking lot, and discover that my upper control arm pulled out of the frame. The pictures make it look like the head of one bolt is sheared off.

She's at my local Chevy dealership. Parts will be in on Tuesday, but I don't know when she'll be out of the body shop for frame repair. :(

These pictures were taken from below. I didn't want to jack her up for a better view:

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

Did the dealer mention what happen to cause this?

Speedway

WOW!!!! Not ever in my 27 years in collision repair have I seen this happen...

WOW!!!! Not ever in my 27 years in collision repair have I seen this happen...

I hear that a lot, Rod!! :chuckle:chuckle

No RA, the bike collision (when he hit me) was on the drivers side - this is on the passengers side.

I can only think that maybe my driving (at times) is a little too spirited! I suspect they'll have an idea after they take it apart. The mounting plate is welded to the frame (you can see the welds in the picture). The welds are fine, but the mounting behind it is gone.

WOW! Rich, I hate to see this. I don't think your driving style had anything to do with this. It appears (from the pictures) that the one bolt broke off and the other bolt was trying to keep the control arm in place until it finally pulled the anchor out of the frame. I hope the repairs are go well and that Misty will be back on the road soon.

Wow! Just glad that didn't cause an accident. Didn't you just drive back from Colorado.

I had the head of a bolt break off like that. The bolt was one of four holding the subframe which supported the engine and transmission on a 1980 Citation. It just popped off and the corner of the subframe started sagging. I caught it early enough that it didn't damage anything and just replaced the bolt..... and then sold the car.

Rich, I sure hope this is going to be the last of the problems for a long time to come so you can fully enjoy Misty all summer and fall. She is probably mad at you for going off and leaving her in South Dakota. Cars are like that you know. Tell them you are going to trade them off and all of a sudden they clean up their act and all the problems go away. :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom