Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

If you've named your XLR, what & why?

I had initially planned to give my car an aircraft theme. I had already begun the back story based on the fictitious plane called Firefox from the Clint Eastwood movie of the same name.
FireFoxV.gif

Most of you have seen my shifter and the embedded computer between the seats. I had even developed a replacement screen for the nav screen.

But, then I developed my replacement shield overlay. And had overlays made for all external emblems including wheel caps.

My overlay was intended as a spoof on the Corvette Racing mascot, Jake. One day (I think it was at Mid-Ohio), Cubby or Mark, or someone in the MMs called it Elwood (Jake's brother from the movie Blues Brothers). And it fit, became accepted as a given, and the rest is history. I ran with it and everyone now knows the car as ELWOOD. PJ even had T-Shirts made up for the Team Elwood Racing crew (we put the following on the Cadillac Racing T-Shirts)

P.S. Jake and Elwood do hang out together every now and then:

Last edited:
Alright Gizmo you now got me wondering what all is on that computer screen? Wish I'd seen this before BG to have taken a closer eyes on look at it!
Anyways pretty cool set up!
Does your Nav screen run off of the cars set up or something like Garmin, Tom Tom or one of these services and did this install permanently change the original interior look that can not be changed back to original interior look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Alright Gizmo you now got me wondering what all is on that computer screen? Wish I'd seen this before BG to have taken a closer eyes on look at it!
Anyways pretty cool set up!
Does your Nav screen run off of the cars set up or something like Garmin, Tom Tom or one of these services and did this install permanently change the original interior look that can not be changed back to original interior look?

I believe if you click on an image it will go full screen. I haven't looked at my XLR Firefox screen in a while. Let's see

O.K. down the left is Speedo, vertical altimeter, Tach, Engine Temp, and Compass. Down the right is digital speedo, nav info, i,e,. heading, latitude, longitude, and altitude, Tablet battery status, current location, then the bottom two gauges are altimeter and computer CPU usage. Down the center are the status readouts and primary control buttons along with weather radar and at the bottom is the album cover of the currently playing song. The two main MFDs are literally multifunctional; The left is replaced by the mp3 playlist/search screens or the FM radio channel list or the XM favorites list. The right MFD can be replaced with a garmin-type nav screen, local fuel price search screen, traffic cams local or nation-wide, or any other applications currently programmed. All these switches and buttons can be accessed via the touchscreen or from the joystick.

Sound is interjected into the stereo via an automatic switch that senses an output from the Tablet and cuts into the internal XM line. So if I'm not listening to the Tablet's FM HDradio, or MP3s, I can still get turn-by-turn directions from the tablet over the Xm radio.

I had investigated feeding this screen into the current nav screen but the resolution was terrible so I built a bracket over the current nav that holds a hi-res 8" SVGA screen that is connected and powered by the PC between the seats. The car can be returned to OEM specs by replacing the modified waterfall behind the seats (and I already have a spare) and putting the shift knob back on. It is an interesting confluence of technologies, and I knew going in that the screens would be busy and crowded.

I don't use the FireFox theme much except as a showpiece for demos. My primary day and night themes are much simpler. the day theme is black text on white background while the night theme is gray text on black background.

I believe if you click on an image it will go full screen. I haven't looked at my XLR Firefox screen in a while. Let's see

O.K. down the left is Speedo, vertical altimeter, Tach, Engine Temp, and Compass. Down the right is digital speedo, nav info, i,e,. heading, latitude, longitude, and altitude, Tablet battery status, current location, then the bottom two gauges are altimeter and computer CPU usage. Down the center are the status readouts and primary control buttons along with weather radar and at the bottom is the album cover of the currently playing song. The two main MFDs are literally multifunctional; The left is replaced by the mp3 playlist/search screens or the FM radio channel list or the XM favorites list. The right MFD can be replaced with a garmin-type nav screen, local fuel price search screen, traffic cams local or nation-wide, or any other applications currently programmed. All these switches and buttons can be accessed via the touchscreen or from the joystick.

Sound is interjected into the stereo via an automatic switch that senses an output from the Tablet and cuts into the internal XM line. So if I'm not listening to the Tablet's FM HDradio, or MP3s, I can still get turn-by-turn directions from the tablet over the Xm radio.

I had investigated feeding this screen into the current nav screen but the resolution was terrible so I built a bracket over the current nav that holds a hi-res 8" SVGA screen that is connected and powered by the PC between the seats. The car can be returned to OEM specs by replacing the modified waterfall behind the seats (and I already have a spare) and putting the shift knob back on. It is an interesting confluence of technologies, and I knew going in that the screens would be busy and crowded.

I don't use the FireFox theme much except as a showpiece for demos. My primary day and night themes are much simpler. the day theme is black text on white background while the night theme is gray text on black background.

That pretty intense unit you got there, I'd love to set up either Bluetooth or USB/ iPod jack systems as fm fades in/out, the XM does not have quality sound for my taste and what's more fun then listening to your on loaded music that you want to hear! And absolutely hate the Nav system so we use a Garmin when out of town!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Mine is Trixie. It just looks like a stripper. Then when I bought the 20s for her. My wife said Trixie got FMP's. the escalade is "the Beast"

This thread got me thinking. :blinzel: When I was a computer vendor, we had a customer whose secretary (Daphne) really fit the description of our cars: a whole lot up front, and not much behind; i.e., all "T" and no "A". :chuckle

I guess from now on, she's gonna be "Daphne".

Tim

This thread got me thinking. :blinzel: When I was a computer vendor, we had a customer whose secretary (Daphne) really fit the description of our cars: a whole lot up front, and not much behind; i.e., all "T" and no "A". :chuckle

I guess from now on, she's gonna be "Daphne".

Tim

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wouldn't work for my coupe - she's ALL "A"!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom