Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

im new to the forum and have only had my xlr for a week.

idune45

My XLR/V(s)
2005 BLACK XLR
I would like to know is it normal for these car to ride very rough and have a lot of noise from the -suspension?

No. That is not normal. Have you checked to see if your shocks are leaking? I had all 4 of mine replaced last year and it’s made all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also check the pads on the end of the springs. I have found them broken off.

My First Project

The shocks were the first thing I replaced when I got my XLR. Then tires then oil & filter..... and so on BUT so fun to drive and still a great feeling to own one!
:)

normal

yes its normal. The shocks go bad and lock up. I have seen at least 3 on car lots that when you try and bounce them they are rock solid. As pointed out they can be fixed though. the spring pad adjuster is a must do.

:thumbsup I JUST REPLACED MY REAR SHOCKS AND NOW THE CAR RIDES SO MUCH BETTER. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS. SORRY FOR THE SLOW RESPONCE BUT IM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MANEUVER IN THIS SITE

Welcome to XLR forum, glad to read the shocks helped, I bought my ROXY (yes some of us named our cars....LOL) a ways back in March of 2011 with a front driver side shock completely blown out. After some research I found the OEM Shocks could be purchased on Amazon for about half the price off GM OEM Price. Some here are replacing with a regular shock these day with a great results too.
Have you heard about the 15 Year XLR Homecoming? It’s the last week of September held in Bowling Green Ky. Everyone is invited and here’s the link if interested: Bowling Green Reunion - 15 Years - Cadillac XLR Forum - Cadillac XLR and Cadillac XLR-V Forums | Blog
Hope to meet up someday!

Sent from Grand Daddy iPhone using Tapatalk

:thumbsup I JUST REPLACED MY REAR SHOCKS AND NOW THE CAR RIDES SO MUCH BETTER. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP GUYS. SORRY FOR THE SLOW RESPONCE BUT IM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MANEUVER IN THIS SITE

Got a Smart phone?... try the Tapatalk app and adding pictures is very easy too. Just click and add.
5186da6765beccf8b01940b705d47222.png

Glad to hear OP got his ride worked out.

What mileage do we need to look at for a changeout on shocks? Do they need to be replaced with MagnaRides?

What mileage do we need to look at for a changeout on shocks? Do they need to be replaced with MagnaRides?

I guess it’s hard to say, mine only had 53k on it when i purchased it in 2011. I believe how it was driven or it’s past maintenance would have a lot to do with how long they last. My drivers side shock was blown, leaking and banging maybe it was damaged by a pothole or some type of similar blow to the front suspension. I don’t remember exact mileage for the rear shocks but they were replaced in the mid 80’s. If you search the forum you’ll find some have replaced with regular shocks but need to purchase a simulator plug to trick the computer from detecting the new shock for the ride control! There is more info here in the forum how exactly to go about the switch over if interested.

Last edited:
I replaced the originals on by V at 120,000. Made a big difference in the ride. I, just changed out the replacements on the front at 188000. One was leaking. I looked into going aftermarket as has been suggested here and I couldn’t find adapters that would work on the V.

It’s not so much the mileage as the time and heat that takes a toll on the seals.

While they can be replaced with aftermarket units the stock magnet shocks are out there. My warranty picked up OEM replacements at $5,800 for all 4 installed.

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to try and attend the 15 year reunion at bowling green Kentucky the last week of sept.

0b878829c744900f2f02675a582c33db.jpg
my ride a 2006 had her since 2012

I got my rear shocks from rock auto for 380.00 each, same part number as the dealer that wanted 800.00 each.

I got my rear shocks from rock auto for 380.00 each, same part number as the dealer that wanted 800.00 each.

Well they’ve gone up a little but still no where near the dealer price! Good call idune
7752c3d4d5fe62239c9d7da2ba631932.png

Well a couple months ago to almost now a year, I found out my front shock was blown. So after looking and going back and forth with my service guy and finding the parts (2 different warehouses) I decided to bite the big one and replace all 4. Because we decided that buy the time the others needs to be replaced, will the parts be available or will they be discontinued with the rest of the xlr parts. It cost me a pretty penny but that big expense is out of the way now. cross fingers nothing else major will go wrong. Figures why couldn’t they have gone out before my extended warranty expired. The extended warranty paid out 16 k or something in that area of repair work since I had the warranty. It expired last 2017nov

Well a couple months ago to almost now a year, I found out my front shock was blown. So after looking and going back and forth with my service guy and finding the parts (2 different warehouses) I decided to bite the big one and replace all 4. Because we decided that buy the time the others needs to be replaced, will the parts be available or will they be discontinued with the rest of the xlr parts. It cost me a pretty penny but that big expense is out of the way now. cross fingers nothing else major will go wrong. Figures why couldn’t they have gone out before my extended warranty expired. The extended warranty paid out 16 k or something in that area of repair work since I had the warranty. It expired last 2017nov

Yeah...that warranty paid for itself 3 times over! Mine is good though October.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back