Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Interior Carbon Fiber Wrap

TomP

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V
Has anyone tried a “carbon fiber look” wrap on the shift console and stereo/climate control bezel? The metal parts. I’m thinking about it and wondering if anyone has experience trying it. Reason I am asking is that I am looking at after-market stereo options. I see that std 2 DIN units take an install kit. The bezel provided in the install kit is black plastic, I have a stone colored interior. So I am thinking a CFL wrap would be cool, if it can be applied to the black plastic bezel and stick. And, if I am doing the black plastic, I'd do the shift bezel too. Also, is it easy to remove the metal parts from the console? Thanks in advance!

Hi Tom,
When I bought my XLR, one of its previous owners had plastered absolutely every interior panel you could think of with woodgrain shtuff. :( It was like driving a log cabin!

Hours and hours of fake wood removal sort of explained to me just why: lots of little dents in the beer-can thin aluminum overlay. I decided to go for carbon and took it a step further and peeled all the aluminum off...and it's not easy at all and is destructive (i.e. there's no going back).

What you're left with is black plastic and it will be flawed enough that you need to address some mold marks and such with spot putty prior to applying any wrap.

Vvivid Vinyl --Vvivid Link-- has an interior grade wrap that's outstanding. I'm an amateur with 'wrapping', having used regular wrap (or tried to), and the interior stuff was just great to work with. I did try their exterior vinyl first as I had some from a previous project and it was just too difficult. That might just be me though.

The biggest headache if you follow this path is around the shift indicator (just to the left of the shifter). Without the aluminum in place, you have nothing, so you'd need to plan to either carefully cut out that section of the aluminum and wrap it as a separate, or fidget something together... in any event, I'd suggest to study what you might do with that area before anything else.

As a part of that project, I swapped out the shifter for some other Cadillac model so it's now just all black leather, found a 'plain' XLR steering wheel (no wood ~ all leather), removed the aluminum on the wheel and carboned that, along with the aluminum on the door panels. That vinyl is even flexible enough to go in and over those fake sticks of wood they've used for the door handles (use heat and be patient). Ditto with the cupholder / ashtray cover and the blank panel beside.

It's a long and trying job - well, it was for me. Results thus far are lovely (imho) and I'm even considering a bit of a console modification something on the lines of pitching most of the stereo and quasi-useless CD player, and reworking in some gauges seeing as the vertical section of the console is sort of blah and like you, I am considering a different radio though probably a single DIN.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Gord :thumbsup

Thanks Gord, that is a lot of experience you have shared, sounds like quite a journey you had. I would like to change as little as possible from factory as my interior condition is fine. Just want to update the car to BT, Apple Carplay, backup camera. The stuff we are spoiled with on today's cars. I ordered the stereo unit and the install kit. I've pretty much ditched the Carbon Look approach to perhaps find a wrap that matches the leather of the top of the dash. Heck, maybe even use real leather :). That way I thin I can limit wraping to the front console bezel that comes with the kit and leave factory parts as-is. This way I can store the take-off parts in case someone wants to undo what I will be changing.

I bought another "console" for $100. (from a forum member) I had a Pioneer DDX 6704S installed, all the wheel controls work, it has Apple car play, charges my phone, maps, siris XM and everything else.. I paid the guy an extra $100 to wrap in carbon fiber wrap from 3M looks great. however I had to wrap the shift knob in black. I need to do something about the steering wheel now because the interior looks so good that the "wood" on the wheel and and doors stands out too much! Be careful what you change otherwise you end up down the rabbit hole as I did.

-

from time to time at a reasonable cost you can find a full leather steering wheel on ebay. Got to be careful changing one if you are not a tech but its not hard to do.

I have kind of nixed the ideal of carbon fib wrap for the reasons Gord indicated. Its a slippery slope as to how much you need to wrap that way to have a good interior look. I decided instead to look for leather-look coverings that might work. I was thinking to match the dash texture and color onto the install kit bezel would be the best. What I found was a sample of tolex (a covering used on instrument amplifiers) that matches the grain of the dash pretty well, albeit a bit more glossy. I have rcvd a piece and once the bezel arrives I'll see how malleable the material is and if I can use it. If that does not work I may just go with the bare plastic bezel, call it done, and enjoy the ride. :)

I have kind of nixed the ideal of carbon fib wrap for the reasons Gord indicated. Its a slippery slope as to how much you need to wrap that way to have a good interior look. I decided instead to look for leather-look coverings that might work. I was thinking to match the dash texture and color onto the install kit bezel would be the best. What I found was a sample of tolex (a covering used on instrument amplifiers) that matches the grain of the dash pretty well, albeit a bit more glossy. I have rcvd a piece and once the bezel arrives I'll see how malleable the material is and if I can use it. If that does not work I may just go with the bare plastic bezel, call it done, and enjoy the ride. :)
I just got done playing with some carbon fiber wrap. I think I like it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6813.jpg
    IMG_6813.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_6814.jpg
    IMG_6814.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6812.jpg
    IMG_6812.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_6815.jpg
    IMG_6815.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 351
Scarto, did you peal all the metal coverings off or go over top? Looks good BTW. Looks like we have the same install kit bezel. I have been waiting for warmer weather to tackle mine. Collecting samples of stuff. While trying to match the texture of the dash top I have a piece of Tolex (musical amp covering) that is vintage Fender that matches well. But its kinda thick and may not be as pliable as I need. Nice job!

Scarto, did you peal all the metal coverings off or go over top? Looks good BTW. Looks like we have the same install kit bezel. I have been waiting for warmer weather to tackle mine. Collecting samples of stuff. While trying to match the texture of the dash top I have a piece of Tolex (musical amp covering) that is vintage Fender that matches well. But its kinda thick and may not be as pliable as I need. Nice job!
I left the metal in place and scuffed it up with fine steel wool. Lots of patience and sharp razor blades and help with the heat gun! Ordered black XLR floor Mats to go with the black and “shale” theme, and I also did the headliner in black marine vinyl. Searching for a reasonably priced set of black seats and that would really complete the look I want.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom