Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Key stash?

That sounds like a lot of work. I also have a key in a box zip-tied to the frame so I can open the trunk. With the trunk open, it's easy to open the (drivers) door and then pop open the hood to get access to the battery. EVERYONE should try the "emergency opening procedure" - it eliminates the panic you feel if you actually need to do it! I actually had a mild panic attack the first time I had this issue until I remembered that I DID have the key - it was just attached to the car instead of my key ring! Remember, this is also beneficial if you misplace/lose your fob as well as if the battery dies!

I do have a Battery Tender on the car; I just used their (supplied) leads to attach to my own battery. I always put it on the tender so my hood is usually popped when I'm home.

You probably wouldn't be able to jump start your car with your proposed setup. You'd need some dramatically thicker wire to carry the current needed to get it going, unless you could get your setup VERY close to the battery. Of course, a trickle charger wouldn't be an isue.

FWIW, I also carry a spare fob in the trunk with no battery installed in it (I do keep one with it, but not installed). You can start the car with it as long as you put it in the slot in the glove box. I do check it annually to make sure it's still good.

AND, my fellow XLR owners, remember to MANUALLY (with the fob) lock your car when you leave it unattended for long periods of time. This will help your battery life, as the car won't be "searching" for you and the fob constantly. (it's otherwise always polling the area to look for you!)

YMMV.

Good information never thought about the FOB searching issue!
Also like the FOB ideal and keeping the battery separate!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Stella
You quote: When the battery dies you pop the hood press the button on the box and it supplies enough power to start you car.
Well you still need to get under the locked hood with our cars to push the button! We would still need to do the bumper key and all that to get in the car!
If there was away to mount this box where it could be accessible to get power to the battery from the exterior of the car you could get enough juice to the battery to jump start or at least open the door to open the hood and jump the battery! The box you speak about is still under the locked hood that you can not get too with a dead battery!
This would of been a cool thing if Cadillac would of thought of an exterior plug that we could of had a plug to plug into and jump the battery!
This maybe an interesting ideal to rig up in a hidden way to do this!
Thanks for causing a project "BRAINSTORM"
Where can I purchase this box that jumps the battery?

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes you would still need to use your emergency key and the procedure to unlock the drivers door. Dealing with the options of being stranded or using the emergency procedure to get in the cab.I will take option two.
I believe the box wouldn't have enough power if the cables were real long. Would draw to much amperage trying? I know we got ours through napa years back. Look on ebay? Ill try and get more info on the box.

Yes you would still need to use your emergency key and the procedure to unlock the drivers door. Dealing with the options of being stranded or using the emergency procedure to get in the cab.I will take option two.
I believe the box wouldn't have enough power if the cables were real long. Would draw to much amperage trying? I know we got ours through napa years back. Look on ebay? Ill try and get more info on the box.
Thx Stella do you know what the name is for this product to look it up!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

It seemed to me that the best insurance to mitigate the "dead battery" scenario was to absolutely minimize the possibility of a dead battery.

That's why I installed an Odyssey AGM battery in Crimson Pearl. I also purchased the Odyssey Battery Maximizer, which I use regularly. If the car is not driven for more than 2 weeks, I plug in the Maximizer to "top off" the charge.

It has been my experience that AGM batteries rarely just "up & die". I have had this situation occur a few times in the last 40 years with lead-acid batteries, regardless of brand.

And as stated earlier, as long as you have the access key to open the trunk, you can then open the passenger compartment and then open the hood to get access to the battery. I also have a AAA Gold Membership that fortunately, I have not had the need to use.

AND, my fellow XLR owners, remember to MANUALLY (with the fob) lock your car when you leave it unattended for long periods of time. This will help your battery life, as the car won't be "searching" for you and the fob constantly. (it's otherwise always polling the area to look for you!)

YMMV.

I didn't know the above. Thanks for the info!

Ok didn't know that. Thanks for posting.

I work in the Portland Oregon city limits and Portland has one of the highest auto thefts in the country. There are not too many metal places to hide a key on an XLR and the thiefs are not stupid, they'd find that key and be "Gone in Sixty Seconds". We have our keys attached to the FOBs.

They use pickups that have lifts that fold down into the truck bed, drive around and either pickup that car/truck or Harley cycles which are the most cycle brand that you see around here. They just hook up and haul away. With magnetic signs that look like any other business sign on a truck, you can't tell if they are a real business or not. If you park after hours in an area that has a sign posted that you'll be towed by company XXX, you'll pay $200 to get your car/truck back and believe me, they're a million of those crooks driving around every night.

I work in the Portland Oregon city limits and Portland has one of the highest auto thefts in the country. There are not too many metal places to hide a key on an XLR and the thiefs are not stupid, they'd find that key and be "Gone in Sixty Seconds". We have our keys attached to the FOBs.

They use pickups that have lifts that fold down into the truck bed, drive around and either pickup that car/truck or Harley cycles which are the most cycle brand that you see around here. They just hook up and haul away. With magnetic signs that look like any other business sign on a truck, you can't tell if they are a real business or not. If you park after hours in an area that has a sign posted that you'll be towed by company XXX, you'll pay $200 to get your car/truck back and believe me, they're a million of those crooks driving around every night.

But if they found the key would they know what to do with it and if they got in the trunk, opened the door how would they start it? I don't think they would think a fob was hidden in the car.all that would take to much time. also all around the underside is a steel chassis. I agree the pickup truck lift would make it gone in seconds. my 2c's Al:)

It just like anything else unfortunately "if they want it bad enough they'll find a way". That's why you have insurance.

It just like anything else unfortunately "if they want it bad enough they'll find a way". That's why you have insurance.

Yep your right most if these people that are going to steal a vehicle like ours already know what they are doing! It's a little bit like the the movie Gone in 60 seconds!

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Yes I agree if someone, who knows what they r doing, wants our cars they'll take them. I don't have or want those magnetic key stashes. I'm like the rest of some of these guys. Keep the emergency key close by you at all times. I think because our cars are so low, that one good scrape and there goes your key stash.

That sounds like a lot of work. I also have a key in a box zip-tied to the frame so I can open the trunk. With the trunk open, it's easy to open the (drivers) door and then pop open the hood to get access to the battery. EVERYONE should try the "emergency opening procedure" - it eliminates the panic you feel if you actually need to do it! I actually had a mild panic attack the first time I had this issue until I remembered that I DID have the key - it was just attached to the car instead of my key ring! Remember, this is also beneficial if you misplace/lose your fob as well as if the battery dies!

I do have a Battery Tender on the car; I just used their (supplied) leads to attach to my own battery. I always put it on the tender so my hood is usually popped when I'm home.

You probably wouldn't be able to jump start your car with your proposed setup. You'd need some dramatically thicker wire to carry the current needed to get it going, unless you could get your setup VERY close to the battery. Of course, a trickle charger wouldn't be an isue.

FWIW, I also carry a spare fob in the trunk with no battery installed in it (I do keep one with it, but not installed). You can start the car with it as long as you put it in the slot in the glove box. I do check it annually to make sure it's still good.

YMMV.

I tried using my fob to lock my car but have found that when I return I can still just walk up and open either the door or the trunk. Using the fob to lock must not turn off the searching feature!

I would think you would need to turn off the passive door lock/unlock search settings inside the car with program button not to lock/unlock with FOB automatically! Otherwise it should passive search for the FOB automatically.

Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

The earlier (and factory original, if you still have it) versions were like that, so I would expect your 2007 to behave differently (better). I believe the system might have been upgraded around 2006-ish?

The XLR's were originally designed to go to "sleep" 20 minutes after the driver left the vehicle to help conserve the battery. I think "manually" locking the car might have also let it enter sleep mode a little earlier.

Last edited:
The earlier (and factory original, if you still have it) versions were like that, so I would expect your 2007 to behave differently (better). I believe the system might have been upgraded around 2006-ish?

The XLR's were originally designed to go to "sleep" 20 minutes after the driver left the vehicle to help conserve the battery. I think "manually" locking the car might have also let it enter sleep mode a little earlier.

As for the sleep mode, on my XLR, the cigar lighter doesn't go to sleep, it's always powered up. I have my sirius unit powered by the cigar lighter and if I don't unplug it it remains on all the time. My XLR didn't come with the option sirius radio.

Battery Rundown

As for the sleep mode, on my XLR, the cigar lighter doesn't go to sleep, it's always powered up. I have my sirius unit powered by the cigar lighter and if I don't unplug it it remains on all the time. My XLR didn't come with the option sirius radio.

On my 2008 XLR and 2009 Denali, even the cigarette lighter circuit shuts down after 20 min. I use it to power a CB in the XLR. I know I will have some sort of Battery boost access in the spring. I believe a 12ga wire only 5' long will be able to start the car since it only will be required to carry amps for a few seconds. I will test that theory of course.
If it will not start it without melting the insulation, at least I will have access to open the door when connected to 12 external source.

I use a 12VDC 300ma transformer from an old printer to keep ahead of the parasitic battery drain.
I am not sure that manually locking the doors makes any difference in that regard.
Looking for 2008 Service Manual if anyone has them in hard copy.

Bakertech.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back