Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Larger Tires on a 2004 XLR

XLR-V Husker

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V
My XLR has P235/ZR50-18 tires all the way around and was wondering, can I put a wider tire on the car. A P245/ZR50-18 is about a 1/2 wide and about the same diameter. Any thoughts?

My XLR has P235/ZR50-18 tires all the way around and was wondering, can I put a wider tire on the car. A P245/ZR50-18 is about a 1/2 wide and about the same diameter. Any thoughts?

k9husker, I run the Michlin P255/45 zr18 99w on my front which are a wider thread but smaller diameter than the stock P235/50 zr18 97w on the rear.
The front tires ARE NOT RUN FLATS but they bulge out wider than the Chrome 7 Spoke rims which help eliminate Curb Rash and give me a little shorter stopping distance over the stock run flats. They are about 5% more expensive than the stock tires but they really plant the front end of the car.

Hope this helps.

That bulge will definitely help and probably looks better too. Jack saw you have a home brewed spoiler on your list of modes. Do you think you can take a pic. Thought about a rear spoiler something factory looking like some cts's I've seen. But we all know nobody makes anything so it's pretty much trial and error. Thanks

So they do not rub on the fender well when you turn? What about the rears?

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

I just installed a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position on stock 18 inch rims with no rubbing. They look much better on the rim and the ride/handling is exceptionally nice. I will never go back to run flats.

Since they are not a run flat I bought a GM tire inflation kit, fits perfectly in the cubby hole in the trunk, designed for the Chevrolet Silverado SS. It was about $100 on Ebay. I also have towing/flat repair through my State Farm Insurance Policy, just in case.

Uintah

I just installed a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position on stock 18 inch rims with no rubbing. They look much better on the rim and the ride/handling is exceptionally nice. I will never go back to run flats.

Since they are not a run flat I bought a GM tire inflation kit, fits perfectly in the cubby hole in the trunk, designed for the Chevrolet Silverado SS. It was about $100 on Ebay. I also have towing/flat repair through my State Farm Insurance Policy, just in case.

Uintah

Nice tire, but what size did you choose? :confused:

Nice tire, but what size did you choose? :confused:

Yes you caught me, 255/45/18, to maintain the same diameter. Also, they are more of a touring tire rather than a performance tire. The next day my wife got caught in a snowstorm, weather channel blew that forecast, and they did just fine. Also take into consideration the speed rating for the tire (W=168 mph).
They come with a mileage warranty, I think 40,000, but have a directional tread so must be rotated front to back only. I believe this tire is about the maximum width to be used with the stock rim.

Uintah

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back