Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Leaking Front Shocks????

R

rbweddle

Here I go again:pat: When I bought my 05 a couple of weeks ago in Winston Salem, NC, I took it to Flow Caddy to check out. They said the front shocks were leaking and that I needed new front tires (22,000 miles) I knew about front tires as rears had been replaced due to damage from pot hole. I rejected $2400 shock replacement and brought car home. Had it checked twice and no indications of leaks though I have noted a yellow-green oily spot on garage floor ocassionally. Could this be shock fluid? I replaced front tires (non-run flats) and have checked ride heights on front and rear. Rears 28 5/8" RF 27 5/8" and LF 27 7/8". Does anyone have approximate ride heights?? No indication of codes. (what is good, inexpensive code reader??)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bruce:blinzel:

I'm gonna guess that green stuff is coolant since our radiators were a huge issue back then .... I have had 3 .... :pat:

I'm gonna guess that green stuff is coolant since our radiators were a huge issue back then .... I have had 3 .... :pat:
It wouldn't be antfreeze. The XLR's is red. If your shock leaks enough you will get a notice on the DIC about it. My shocks were damp when I bought the car 3 years ago. they still are and no problems, drives fine, no codes. I wouldn't replace them unless the ride suffers. If one is leaking enough to drip on the floor you may have to replace it though.

It wouldn't be antfreeze. The XLR's is red. If your shock leaks enough you will get a notice on the DIC about it. My shocks were damp when I bought the car 3 years ago. they still are and no problems, drives fine, no codes. I wouldn't replace them unless the ride suffers. If one is leaking enough to drip on the floor you may have to replace it though.

Really? Neither Ray or I remember red .... only green. .... Is ALL antifreeze red?????

BTW, transmission fluid is normally red but I have no idea if the XLR is normal.

The coolant in an XLR should not be green or red It should be Dex-Cool which is more of an Orange color There are green and red coolants but not recomended by GM for these cars.

The coolant in an XLR should not be green or red It should be Dex-Cool which is more of an Orange color There are green and red coolants but not recomended by GM for these cars.
It looks like red to me but I guess it could be orange. My wife and I are always argueing about colors. All XLR's have Dexcool in them, and all newer GM' for that matter. Lets say it is a reddish orange color. They switched from the green{glycol} antifreeze years ago. It would not be transmittion fluid, The XLR's tranny is in the rear.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom