Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

LED Turn Signals/DRLs

My switchbacks required no extra circuitry other than wiring the DRLs to the small running lights.

Could you describe or make a sketch of how you wired them into the running lights? Do they operate the same way when set to "auto", or do you need to turn on the parking lights for the white DRL to light? I haven't taken the headlight unit out yet, and I don't have a wiring diagram, but it seems like if the parking lights were off and the "auto" setting wanted to turn the old style DRL's on, the LED's wouldn't know that it wasn't the turn signal being called for.

Progress

Could you describe or make a sketch of how you wired them into the running lights? Do they operate the same way when set to "auto", or do you need to turn on the parking lights for the white DRL to light? I haven't taken the headlight unit out yet, and I don't have a wiring diagram, but it seems like if the parking lights were off and the "auto" setting wanted to turn the old style DRL's on, the LED's wouldn't know that it wasn't the turn signal being called for.

Still hoping to hear how Pinakeli achieved it, but I've been working on it myself. I designed and built a circuit that goes inline with watertight connectors so I can undo it later. I also use switchback bulbs, but with the circuit, everything operates as normal (even "auto" mode) except I have white DRL and amber turn signals. The only clue that it is hacked is that the DRLs come on amber for (literally) one second, then switch to white.

I'll post some pictures when I get a little farther along. So far, it's all running on the bench and not packaged nicely.

I was cleaning my headlights today and noticed cracking lenses in front of my turn signal bulbs inside the headlights. What now! So I opened XLR-net.

Thank you for sharing the information and links in this thread! What a great site and helpful members with experiences, good explanations and instructions! My XLR is a 2008, so apparently it took a while for the damage to begin. I ordered new LED bulbs today. I have decided to keep “Baby” as long as I can, so I am having to become a bit of a mechanic. I have previously been thru the wheel well, so this should be a pretty straight forward repair.

Thanks again.

Post installation feedback for 2008 XLR:

Parts:
I ordered the LED turn signal and parking lights from SuperBrightLED using the above link.

Installation:
I will not repeat everything from above, but here are some additional observations. I found it difficult to see what I was doing with only the wheel turned, so I removed the tire. Just be sure you use both (for safety) a jack and jack stands.

The three bolts holding the headlight are easy to identify because they are silver/gray and have large matching washers.

Cracked lenses:
My lenses over the turn signals were partially cracked and melted, but the cracks did not go all the way through the lenses. They seems secure for now, so I left the lenses in place.

Hyper-flashing turn signal:
Even on my later 2008 model, I got the hyper-flash with the LEDs. I ordered the SuperBrightLED resistors from the link above. I mounted them on the composite walls near the headlights. Concerned over heating, I offset the resistors with leftover washers (as heat sinks) and nylon spacers. I could have used metal bolt nuts instead of nylon spacers, but I just do not believe it will get hot enough to melt them.

Resistor wiring:
Both of the turn signals were fed by similar wires, blue wire with white stripe. Resistors normally work the same in either direction. For one lead of the resistor, I used the connector that came with the resistor. That way I did not have to cut the blue/white wire. It was hard to get the connector to cut through the insulation around the wire, but keep trying.

I did NOT identify the ground wire, but rather I loosened a nearby bolt/screw and wrapped the “ground” side under the bolt and re-tightened.

See next post for pics.

Last edited:
Pics
3B54F9F2-4B68-4730-A07A-79267CB94B17.jpg3FBE73B6-110D-440D-8D67-925E867C5260.jpg

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom