Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Lets Run the Numbers

buki

Account Suspended
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Xenon Blue XLR
Since I got my car last December I have yet to see another one. I go to Nashville at least twice a week @ 250 miles round trip per time on I40 which carries thousands of cars an hour.

It got me to thinking so lets run some numbers.

Here's the way I see it and I hope you'll be quick to join me with YOUR idea of how rare our cars actually are.

1. Lets round off total production back to 15,000
2. At least 25% are titled in other countries. Make that 3,750.
3. !0% have been totaled, burned, sunk or hidden. Make that 1,500.
4. Another 20 per cent are driven less 6,000 miles a year or less or are stored by speculators. Make that 3,000.
5. At least 1,000 are broken and unfixable due to cost or loss of interest.
6. On any given day 500 XLRs are on car lots, web sites or local media for sale.

That makes 9,750 XLR unavailable for viewing.
Which leaves only 5,250 seeable anywhere in America.
Spread those cars across 42,000 registered zip codes and rarity becomes completely understandable.

Agree or disagree.
The starting gate is now open.

Nice info but there's something you overlooked. Location, location, location. Once you run the ZIP Codes the chances are you may encounter a XLR's on the road. Here's a interesting question.

Excluding other countries what state has the most XLR ?

Interesting question MC.

Extrapolating age and income demographics and weather I would think:
1. Florida
2. California
3. Arizona

But when you factor in the land of the truly cool - Texas

At least 25% titled in other countries????????

Where might that statistic have come from, and which are the leading countries?

Excuse the digression but there is a very interesting post on Hemmings.com today about the twin tracks scheduled to open this year at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. There are already 119 events scheduled for it this year I read. Included in the layout will be duplications of specific features at the Nurburgring, Mulsanne and other world class facilities. Since BG is only 2 hours away I guess I need to stock up on tires for the summer. Check it out at Hemmings.com.

If you check the thread, "Do you see XLR" I've personally have seen plenty of XLR's of all sorts (except for the Neiman Marcus Edition and Black Cherry colored XLR). Two Infared & two Silver XLR in and around Pacific Coast Hwy, a white XLR at SFO on 235 hwy, a Silver XLR in San Mateo, CA, a blue XLR on 152 hwy near Casa De Fruta, CA, a black and Silver XLR in Los Banos, CA, a Infared XLR in Fresno, Ca, a Silver XLR w/Corvette wheel in Bakersfield, CA, and a Silver XLR in Tehachapi, CA all of which were within one year. Now, what are the chance of that with numbers giving in this thread? If you factor in the 3-4 XLR's my g/f has seen in year kind of blows away the thought hardly seeing one on the road. However, like I said, it's "Location, location, and location." You gotta love CA weather.

Last edited:
There are 5 in my zip code 23231......... :cool:
2 Infra Red
1 Electra Blue
1 Blue Steel
1 Gold Mist Metallic (mine)

There are 5 in my zip code 23231......... :cool:
2 Infra Red
1 Electra Blue
1 Blue Steel
1 Gold Mist Metallic (mine)

How did you do the zip code search, DMV? We have 2 (05 and a '09), have seen a couple more in the Lexington, KY area. No ours are not driven with Snow/Ice/SALT on the road and yes less than 6,000/mi/yr.

I actually met all the owners and we all live within 8 miles of each other.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

I actually met all the owners and we all live within 8 miles of each other.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Do you think you know ALL the xlr's in your area?
Before I purchased mine I maybe saw a handful since they came out. Now that I own one I can spot one coming from blocks away. On a nice summer day you have a chance of seeing one or two if your lucky. Or go down the street with all the dealers and you'll see one.
Tried looking for xlr's registered in states"no luck".

This is so true, after purchasing mine I found there is actually 5 of them in about a 50 mile radius of me! Never noticed them until I bought mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Looking at your post, I would have to dispute some of the figures posted, unless you have inside information from Cadillac, all the salvage yards in the world, etc. The biggest discrepancy of numbers I see is the 25% in other countries. I could only find 2007-2009 export numbers form the tech center, but for those years it was a total of 244. I highly doubt 2004-2006 had 3,505 exports! I put the number at about 2-4% at most, unless they were shipped overseas after the fact. I would also put your #5 in with #3; as I don't see an XLR owner as simply let the car sit because of a problem with it. These were $80,000 to 100,000 dollar cars; they weren't trying to get people who buy Nissan Altima's to buy these cars. If you can afford the car, you can afford the repairs and maintenance. Every summer, I see anywhere from 5 to 15, when our Midwest group gets together, just to go for a drive. I will give you, they are unique vehicles, but if you watch the Events thread on this site and go to an event you will have the opportunity to see close to 1/4 to 1/2% of the total produced, depending on the event!!:laugh:

The most gathered at one time in one place was in 2008, in Bowling Green, KY at 'Rendezvous III, at the Corvette Assembly Plant--Over 100 XLR's, counting the dozen that Cadillac displayed while we were in attendance.

So in general, I'd have to disagree!

Since I got my car last December I have yet to see another one. I go to Nashville at least twice a week @ 250 miles round trip per time on I40 which carries thousands of cars an hour.

It got me to thinking so lets run some numbers.

Here's the way I see it and I hope you'll be quick to join me with YOUR idea of how rare our cars actually are.

1. Lets round off total production back to 15,000
2. At least 25% are titled in other countries. Make that 3,750.
3. !0% have been totaled, burned, sunk or hidden. Make that 1,500.
4. Another 20 per cent are driven less 6,000 miles a year or less or are stored by speculators. Make that 3,000.
5. At least 1,000 are broken and unfixable due to cost or loss of interest.
6. On any given day 500 XLRs are on car lots, web sites or local media for sale.

That makes 9,750 XLR unavailable for viewing.
Which leaves only 5,250 seeable anywhere in America.
Spread those cars across 42,000 registered zip codes and rarity becomes completely understandable.

Agree or disagree.
The starting gate is now open.

There are at least 4 within 10 miles of me. Mine and another within blocks. And I heard that there was the 3rd in the area but haven't personally seen it. I haven't heard or seen Bruce (Rbweddle) around. So I don't know if his is in storage or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back