Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Lockpick, Pal version 2, Parrot?

dck

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR V
Looks like the car should be here any day, so I have been doing a lot of homework. Two things I would like to have is the ablility to use an I-pod through the Nav/Audio screen, as well as be able to play a DVD while the car is in motion.

From what I read, it appears that the Lockpick will allow the DVD to play, and the Pal version 2 will allow some functionality of the I-Pod through the Audio/Nav screen. Is the Lockpick the only way to get the DVD to work while moving? Also, if anyone has any experience with PAL Version2 I would like to see what Ipod functions can and can not be used via the Audio/Nav Screen.

I had considered the Parrot but I really don't need Bluetooth.

Thanks in advance for any help...

I have a Lockpick and use it sparingly. My unit (and it took two exchanges to get where I am) doesn't perform as per the advertising. It sounds great when you fire it up, but the display & functioning leaves A LOT to be desired. I actually have to start the playlist/tune on my iPod/iPhone and there is no changing of playlists without performing the device held activity again. Lots of trouble when traveling alone. I have a few fairly long playlists that I can select from and individually play through when I'm not listening to XM or terrestrial.

I had no idea that a Lockpick would play or be involved with DVD's. I really don't know when/if I'd ever use it. I was told by a local audio tech that the PAL device wouldn't work in the XLR back when I was searching... perhaps one is available now or an electronic tweak has been developed for our audio systems. Good luck in your search!

Just last weekend I installed in my " TRUCK", not the XLR, an all new Pioneer double din head unit with a 7" screen, DVD, Bluetooth audio streaming and phone capabilities as well as backup camera, I can also fully control my IPhone based music library and run pandora on-screen and stream Pandora and ipod music wirelessly through bluetooth with an estimated 5% reduction in sound quality, to the head unit. My point is that it was plug and play with the dealer supplied harness and as much as I thought I would never consider a non factory stereo in my XLR, I got over that thought in a hurry. The Pioneer is so configurable and has a mature look about it I am now considering the possibility. My factory XLR stereo has a bad changer and the Nav. is worthless by todays standards, Hummm....I could live with out the freq. in the heads up display and the outside air temp on the stereo if there was no other compromises. I know the Pioneer is configurable to use factory steering wheel controls but not sure about this car. I will update after some research this weekend.

Thanks Doug and JJ....looking forward to what you find out Doug.

I had sent an e-mail to Ray over at Kawal...he is in Hawaii but we will be talking next week...He has a version 2 PAL that looks like it does work but I don't know the details as to how well it works. Seems it just plugs into the XM box behind the front seats.
here's the link...
New Version 2 Corvette PAL

I had read on an older forum post that the lockpic had a hack were it would run the DVD while moving. (I am not that interested either, but I know my daughter would love it.)

I will post when I find more info

I am not an electronics guy but am sure I have read about a vss bypass that will allow you to play a dvd while moving. If I recall it wasn't all that involved.

You are right their is a bypass on 04&05 models. Unfortunately they did something to newer models that won't allow you to bypass anything. The bypass is to change gps directions while driving. There's directions on this site under " you'll like this " you have to do some steps and enter a code. You can also override the DVD to work while driving. Both ways have to be done every time you start the car.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom