Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Looking at an 04 XLR with these two problems....

zeek

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Satin Nickel XLR
As my intro stated, I am thinking of purchasing a 2004 XLR. It has 75k on it but is in like new condition as far as looks go. The two things I noticed right away on inspection of this particular car was that the amber headlight lenses are both burnt looking and possibly cracked. Is this a common thing and what is the cost of a fix? The second problem is when I ran my hand down both sides of the interior trunk sides it was wet, not soaking wet, but more than damp. From what I have read here the wetness in the trunk is a common problem that may be an easy fix. But the headlights have me concerned. Please enlighten me! :)

Thanks for any advice and input...

04' Caddy XLR

As my intro stated, I am thinking of purchasing a 2004 XLR. It has 75k on it but is in like new condition as far as looks go. The two things I noticed right away on inspection of this particular car was that the amber headlight lenses are both burnt looking and possibly cracked. Is this a common thing and what is the cost of a fix? The second problem is when I ran my hand down both sides of the interior trunk sides it was wet, not soaking wet, but more than damp. From what I have read here the wetness in the trunk is a common problem that may be an easy fix. But the headlights have me concerned. Please enlighten me! :)

Hi again Zeek,

Here is a web site listing common problems with The 04 XLR. One of the members also informed me that often the radiator must be replaced on the 04's.

Cadillac XLR Problems, 2004 Cadillac XLR Complaints - Page #1

For the wet inside the trunk. Yes to stop the water from getting in one just replaces the trunk rubber gasket. Readily available and fairly inexpensive. But the top brain box in the trunk is an expensive fix if it gets wet and frys as a result.

Here is the web site for G.M. Parts Direct and the page for 'new' headlight assembly replacements. They are pretty 'proudo of them at right at $700.00 average per side.

gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog

Last edited:
Hi zeek. Pertaining to the trunk issue. I have a 06. I didn't check the top liner but the bottom floor board carpet was a issue 3 x with me. The dealer ordered the part. Installed it. Then 3 days later I had to take it back. The guys were stumped. So thanks to the friendly folks here. They found the diagrams and posted them. So I'm sharing with you what they posted. This just pertains to the trunk.
sa9u2aha.jpg
9yhe6yry.jpg
uvy2e3y5.jpg
2eqede2a.jpg
hy3uqute.jpg
a9esu3yn.jpg
ysuguven.jpg
yhehevyz.jpg
zeneduju.jpg
4a3apu2e.jpg
va4enuqu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Zeek!
You can try sweet talking a Cadillac Dealer on the the driving lights lenses I have and 05 I guess they wanted my future business they said ea. light assembly was around a grand and $500 install! So he talked to the owner and end getting both installed for the labor cost of $500
They call this crazing it's not burnt or melting it's actually from the amber type bulb they installed from new caused this look of melting and cracked look! Either way not a cheap fix unless you can be lucky like me a get a deal! And really no way to just change them lenses! Good Luck!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Last edited:
Don't know if you've checked top & trunk operation, but you need to if that trunk is wet. In the corner of the trunk on the driver side, pull up the carpet to get to a lid. Pick that lid up & check for any signs of water in there, & whether the drain hole in the bottom is clear. The suspension & top "brains" are in there, & if that has gotten wet you need to run away from this car.

If you check around the forum, weather stripping ain't cheap even if that's all that needs replacing. But then again, not much of anything is cheap with these babies - they're still $75k+ cars at repair time!

Good luck in finding a good one! They are more than worth it!

new 04 look fors

Hi - just bought a 04; did have to replace radiator because of the tranny cooler line into radiator was leaking; also maybe hard to do but try to determine any leaks the car may have...leak chasing seems to be a new-to-me thing...kenai

Hi - just bought a 04; did have to replace radiator because of the tranny cooler line into radiator was leaking; also maybe hard to do but try to determine any leaks the car may have...leak chasing seems to be a new-to-me thing...kenai

Hi Kenai, :)

Post some pitcures when you can of your 04.

Mine is up on jack stands right now and did previously drip trans fluid under the front of the car. While it is now up in the air high enough for me to be able to get my wide body underneath I haven't yet commenced work yet, nor really looked for the leak. I have a list of several service objectives and stopping the trans leak at the front is one of those. Looks like I may also be replacing my radiator soon?

Please share information specifically on what you found that led you to replace the radiator? Was it cracked or something?

Congrats on your 04 purchase once the bugs get worked out your love your new awesome ride as we all do! Just to touch base on the leaking these NORTHSTAR motors seem to be just that since I bought my 05 in March of 2011 they had repaired a coolant leak some where in the front then last spring they fixed a bunch of seals on the motor cam seals, Oil pan, and others not sure where they all were on the motor, this passed February they replaced they rear end fiction slip plate with the new type because of the front tires felt like they we're skip or hopping when turning sharp right/lefts! I have an aftermarket warranty on the car so figured I'd get these things done now while most of the repair is covered by it!
Good Luck and hope to meet at one of the future events! Cruz on!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Zeek,
The headlights are expensive, and that's a pretty common problem. I believe teh problem was corrected in 2007. I replaced mine with upgraded units, and I turn off my DRL's. I think it looks better anyhow.
The water intrusion can get very expensive if it floods th ecompartment under the trunk floor in the far left rear of teh trunk. Pull up the carpet and look in that cubby hole where the top pump is located. It should be bone dry.
Depending on the price, you may want to keep looking.
Bruce

Zeek,
The headlights are expensive, and that's a pretty common problem. I believe teh problem was corrected in 2007. I replaced mine with upgraded units, and I turn off my DRL's. I think it looks better anyhow.
The water intrusion can get very expensive if it floods th ecompartment under the trunk floor in the far left rear of teh trunk. Pull up the carpet and look in that cubby hole where the top pump is located. It should be bone dry.
Depending on the price, you may want to keep looking.
Bruce

Thank you all for all the advice and input. Because of your input and the fact that I found an 05 with only 50k on her for the same price as the 04, I went for the 05!....Plus it did not have any of the issues the 04 I was looking at had. The cool thing is that it is the same color paint and interior that I fell in love with on the 04! I am totally in love with this car!

I think you are 'wise' : )

Thank you all for all the advice and input. Because of your input and the fact that I found an 05 with only 50k on her for the same price as the 04, I went for the 05!....Plus it did not have any of the issues the 04 I was looking at had. The cool thing is that it is the same color paint and interior that I fell in love with on the 04! I am totally in love with this car!

Hi Zeke,

Good decision not to buy the 04'. Too many issues. I looked at all the pictures you posted of your 05'. Really good looking vehicle. Good job.:)

I am still working on Goldie with winter still hanging on here and between the cold actic blasts that are typical in The Rockies. Transmission service is done. Drained the fluid, removed the pan and installed a new filter and gasket and reflushed the system several times. Weird thing is that with ony 31,500 miles on the car the fluid was 'brown' as opposed to the required Cherry Red color? It is critical in auto transmissions to keep the fluid clean as it will destroy the internal clutches if fluid is severly degraded. I did not find any leaks in the system anywhere. Thought it might be leaking at the tranny cooler hook up to the radiator in front, but not. What was strange was last year on one occassion there was a very small puddle of trans fluid at the front of the car? A mystery as nothing since? I used Dexron VI full synthetic as that is what Cadillac recommended.

Right now it is 20 degrees here and still snowing. Ugh! Yesterday it was -10 below with snow. We are supposed to have 8" to 10" by this afternoon when it finally moves out. Must say I am really sick of winter.

Enjoy your new ride.:cool:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back