Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Looking for a Chrome or Mesh upper and lower grill

shayf2001

My XLR/V(s)
2006 BLACK STAR XLR
Hello, I am new to this forumn and own a 2006 Cadillac XLR. I am looking for Upper and Lower grills. I have checked E & G - reasonable price but dont like the lower grill. I checked with D3 but the quote was for about $1700 for both. Is there a place i can get a reasonably priced grill or is any member selling theirs.

Shay :patriot:

Hello, I am new to this forumn and own a 2006 Cadillac XLR. I am looking for Upper and Lower grills. I have checked E & G - reasonable price but dont like the lower grill. I checked with D3 but the quote was for about $1700 for both. Is there a place i can get a reasonably priced grill or is any member selling theirs.

I have no idea but I wanted to share with you if you get the lower grill you will no longer have cruise control. Welcome to our Site I hope you enjoy your XLR and have a fantastic time with it.:D

Speedway:wave::wave::wave:

I thought so. I guess the E & G Grill will be the best option.

Welcome to the forum, I would suggest you check with your Cadillac Dealer and see what he charges. I am sure you can order one from their parts department. Good luck, I love mine and only did the upper.

Why would the lower Grill, (E&G) affect the Cruise Control??

If you use the full lower mesh grille like on the XLR V, then you will lose the Adaptive Cruise Control. The unit needs the plastic lense in order to function. E&G Classics does make a lower mesh grille for the base XLR that covers the lower air intake in that area.
:cool:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Can you 'splain ?? Maybe photos?

If you use the full lower mesh grille like on the XLR V, then you will lose the Adaptive Cruise Control. The unit needs the plastic lense in order to function. E&G Classics does make a lower mesh grille for the base XLR that covers the lower air intake in that area.

I UNDERSTAND THERE IS A "SENSOR" IN THE REAR-VIEW-MIRROR,.....BUT DOWN THERE??

Question,.......

If you say that the Cruise Control won't work with a lower piece,.....then how does the E&G lower piece work??

If you say that the Cruise Control won't work with a lower piece,.....then how does the E&G lower piece work??

The E&G lower mesh grille for the base XLR fits over the existing air intake grille that is centered between the two lenses.

Inoperative cruise control due to the addition of the lower mesh grill was broadcast when the XLR-V arrived in '07. Since then, owners with base XLR's have installed lower grills with no detrimental effects. It is possible that during XLR-V testing there may have been issues that persuaded GM to opt out due to perceived safety/lawsuit issues, but we'll never know for sure. The bottom line is, there is no guarantee you'll lose your cruise control function with an aftermarket installation. Others who have done this can chime in and describe their results, or you can read their posts.

Just like your microwave door, the signals emitted by the device are constrained by the size of the little holes you see through the glass door or distance of the mesh in the grill. The wavelength of the frequency used in the XLR's radar is a little wider than a car lane (so as not to react to trees, etc.) Apparently, the size of the grill's mesh allows enough of the transmitted signal and bounced return signals to get through to the receiver.

There are two types of lower mesh grills -those (like the E&G) that fit over the plastic/air intake grill between the smoked plastic bezels, (the passenger/right side bezel is just for looks) and the official GM gill which spans the entire lower fascia. I haven't heard of either affecting the operation of the cruise control.

CC

Interesting,.........?

Inoperative cruise control due to the addition of the lower mesh grill was broadcast when the XLR-V arrived in '07. Since then, owners with base XLR's have installed lower grills with no detrimental effects. It is possible that during XLR-V testing there may have been issues that persuaded GM to opt out due to perceived safety/lawsuit issues, but we'll never know for sure. The bottom line is, there is no guarantee you'll lose your cruise control function with an aftermarket installation. Others who have done this can chime in and describe their results, or you can read their posts.

Just like your microwave door, the signals emitted by the device are constrained by the size of the little holes you see through the glass door or distance of the mesh in the grill. The wavelength of the frequency used in the XLR's radar is a little wider than a car lane (so as not to react to trees, etc.) Apparently, the size of the grill's mesh allows enough of the transmitted signal and bounced return signals to get through to the receiver.

There are two types of lower mesh grills -those (like the E&G) that fit over the plastic/air intake grill between the smoked plastic bezels, (the passenger/right side bezel is just for looks) and the official GM gill which spans the entire lower fascia. I haven't heard of either affecting the operation of the cruise control.

CC

I'm still curious about the "Lower Area".
Can there be a fabricated Mesh, (Either Plastic or Metal) that could be made to have a hole in them allowing the Adaptive Cruise to function?

I'm still curious about the "Lower Area".
Can there be a fabricated Mesh, (Either Plastic or Metal) that could be made to have a hole in them allowing the Adaptive Cruise to function?

There already is. Please re-read my last paragraph.

CC

OH!

There already is. Please re-read my last paragraph.

CC

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, (my bad)....but do you have a picture, sketch, or even a GM Part # for the earlier 04-08 ??\
Here's the '09.... Part # 25844539 but it doesn't work on earlier models,...........or will it??

I purchased my upper and lower grille from Carid via ebay and made a best offer price. If memory serves I paid $425.00 for both with free s/h.

lower v grill

I bought my 04 that had the mesh front end..looks great..The bottom mesh though will probably be unseen if I put a tag on her....Sooooo no tag till I get an $87.00 ticket In Md. and then I will still keep no tag on her unless it from a local cop in my district that frequents my neighborhood.....

E & G mesh grill

I have a opportunity to purchase a chrome E & G chromed mesh grill but I noticed a cutout slot in the center of the grill where to Cadillac crest goes.
Can anyone tell me if this cutout is in all of the E & G grills.
Looks like the cutout is about 2" wide and about 1" high but not sure.
And will the Cadillac crest be wide enough to cover this cutout.

I have a opportunity to purchase a chrome E & G chromed mesh grill but I noticed a cutout slot in the center of the grill where to Cadillac crest goes.
Can anyone tell me if this cutout is in all of the E & G grills.
Looks like the cutout is about 2" wide and about 1" high but not sure.
And will the Cadillac crest be wide enough to cover this cutout.

I have the E & G chrome mesh grille upper and lower, in mine there is a depression where the supplied Cadillac emblem fits. I have not installed the lower grille, because it seems that it would be visually blocked by the front license plate frame/holder.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back